Fall Crawl 2019 idea (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With our club getting smaller and life changes for everyone, I had an idea for Fall Crawl. We have had interest in going back to the Cove in Gore VA. They have a busy fall. Big Dogs is having their Fall Crawl the weekend of October 12th. My though it to go to that event and run in our own packs. The admission fee to the Cove is set at $40 per person for land use and camping. I am not sure what the event cost. Their will be more people out on the trails but it is an idea.

Let me know your thoughts....would you still attend?

Would you rather go back to RC or AOAA? It is close enough that you can wheel friday, sat and sunday and still get home for dinner sunday night. Lot of people with kids can not make the event the closer we get to Holloween.

Last edited:
With out club getting smaller and life changes for everyone, I had an idea for Fall Crawl. We have had interest in going back to the Cove in Gore VA. They have a busy fall. Big Dogs is having their Fall Crawl the weekend of October 12th. My though it to go to that event and run in our own packs. The admission fee to the Cove is set at $40 per person for land use and camping. I am not sure what the event cost. Their will be more people out on the trails but it is an idea.

Let me know your thoughts....would you still attend?

Would you rather go back to RC or AOAA? It is close enough that you can wheel friday, sat and sunday and still get home for dinner sunday night. Lot of people with kids can not make the event the closer we get to Holloween.

Important Note: The Cove site says Fall Crawl is the weekend of the 11,12, 13 October, but the Big Dog site says 19-20 October...

Funny you should post this... A couple of us have been discussing getting back to the Cove for a "Fall Crawl" like event.We should talk during CMCC to brainstorm some ideas we've discussed regarding a fall Toyota 4x4 event. Our preliminary framework was to organize a "no host" event at the Cove where our club would put in the work to coordinate a group camp area to bring back the unique social component of Fall Crawl.

The $40 fee is a good price point. I'm not confident we could negotiate such a price on our own.
I'm down with giving it a shot. It could also give us an opportunity to see how many trucks they get on the trail at these events.

Last edited:
I have heard up in the 200 range for the big events... I would rather have a Toyota only event but I am not sure we can make that happen at the Cove.

I am happy to have a "round table" discussion at CMCC. I think that is a great idea.

Lets keep the discussion open, the more ideas the better.

So I just spoke with the Cove...We can do a Toyota Event there October 25-26-27, 2019.!!!

We will get an event rate for camping and land use of $90 per person for the weekend. Friday night and Saturday night. I forgot to ask about thursday night but I am sure we can fit that in.
I think this could work.

No wheeling on thursday. Leave out early afternoon on Sunday.

This could just happen :)

Important Note: The Cove site says Fall Crawl is the weekend of the 11,12, 13 October, but the Big Dog site says 19-20 October...

Funny you should post this... A couple of us have been discussing getting back to the Cove for a "Fall Crawl" like event.We should talk during CMCC to brainstorm some ideas we've discussed regarding a fall Toyota 4x4 event. Our preliminary framework was to organize a "no host" event at the Cove where our club would put in the work to coordinate a group camp area to bring back the unique social component of Fall Crawl.

The $40 fee is a good price point. I'm not confident we could negotiate such a price on our own.
I'm down with giving it a shot. It could also give us an opportunity to see how many trucks they get on the trail at these events.

Looking on Big Dogs site, it looks like the fees schedule goes like this for a 2 day event: Land use/ camping fee: $40 per person over 3ft tall. $10 for those under 3ft. Event fee $65 per vehicle.
So, as an example, if I brought my family, it would be:
$120 ($40x3 me+wife+1 kid)
+$10 (kid under 3ft)
+$65 Event fee
--------------------------
$195 for the weekend for a young family of 4. I can't tell if that is only 1 nigh of camping or 2.

The camping fees are comparable to their fees stated on the Cove website, except kids 2-11 are only $10

I wonder if we could use the Big Dog model to negotiate a Toyota 4x4 Fall Crawl event? $65 for 2 days of wheeling seems fair.

So I just spoke with the Cove...We can do a Toyota Event there October 25-26-27, 2019.!!!

We will get an event rate for camping and land use of $90 per person for the weekend. Friday night and Saturday night. I forgot to ask about thursday night but I am sure we can fit that in.
I think this could work.

No wheeling on thursday. Leave out early afternoon on Sunday.

This could just happen :)
Are you going to cap the participant #? If so, I call dibs on a spot now.

If you want help with the logistics/ admin on this, I am all in to help, and I'm sure we can rally several of the CLCC club members as well.

We quoted me $40 camping and $50 for land use. That is how I came up with $90. I am sure you are correct on the price for kids and adults.

The more people the better we can negotiate for the next event... I told him I was hoping for 50-80 rigs. I would love to have that! If we get a good group this year, we may get a better rate next year.

I'd be in - as long as we get the price nailed down...it seemed like last time it was $60 a weekend or $60 a night depending on who was collecting the money. It was a great spot to go!

This would be awesome! I'd definitely be in for this!
Don't know what all I could help with, but willing to lend a hand where needed

The Ball is rolling on this one. From an idea just a few days ago to what could be a back to basics, good old fashion TLCA event. As we work behind the scenes we are aiming to have the details nailed down before CMCC and we can start to advertise there.

Brian, I am going to get with the Cove again and confirm pricing across the board for everyone, pass, kids, etc.

It is good to hear feedback on this event. We want to hear from everyone, after all this event is for you!

I had no idea this place was so close to NOVA (even though people had told me)! I'd love to commit right now but Arlington will rule my world until it doesn't. Thanks for guiding me to this thread @Stumpalama.

Last edited:
Sounds great to me and if I can do anything locally let me know. Some of us don’t get out as much as we would like too so I feel we need to try to keep this going all we can

Set the dates boys and girls! October 25-26-27, 2019.!!!

We will be back at the Cove in Gore VA for our Fall Crawl. More details to come.

I'm in, had a great time back in '13 and '14 with my yellow FJ. I'm in the 80 now and looking to tackle more challenging terrain.

This is great news, I’m definitely down to attend and help in any way I can. The good old days of fall crawl!

This is great news, I’m definitely down to attend and help in any way I can. The good old days of fall crawl!
That's what we're hoping for!
Stand by for more info this week.

Great News!
That's right, after a four year absence, Fall Crawl is going back to the Cove in Gore, VA!
For the uninitiated, the Cove has an extensive network of trails for all skill levels.
Access the trails right from the large group camp.
Event updates will be posted here: Official 2019 Fall Crawl Thread.
Subscribe to the thread for latest information on event details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom