Fall 2020 edition of "Shock Recommendations" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stokesignals.agency
I know... the "which shocks should I get?" thread is right behind tires, lifts and that "frame thingy" threads. But I need some guidance from you guys who've had a few of the options now available.

I've got about 60,000 miles on the IronMan TBs, springs and Foam Cell (not Pro) shocks. The truck's riding a little rough... and squeaky. It's time. I don't do a lot of desert racing. Okay, I don't do any desert racing - so, I'm not convinced I need to spend $2,000 for shocks.

Are the Pro Foam Cells still at the top of the list? How about the Icon Stage One shocks?

Details:
- 2006, non-AHC
- 2" lift
- Steel wheels and 33" KO2s
- Light, i.e. no 3rd row, no fridge, no drawers, stock rear bumper... just a Dissent front bumper and winch with synthetic line
- No night vision

Thanks! Now, about that thing on the frame...

I love my foam cell pros....they just flat out work no harsh ride no real change in handling if fully loaded or not.

I am a heavy rig and I tow 5k lb trailer and zero complaints

I've been 9/10 happy with my Icon stage 1s and they've been on for about 20K miles now. My only complaint is that they are a little too soft when loaded down with gear while offroad - though my setup is heavier than yours with a Slee rear bumper, full size spare, and maybe 200lbs of recovery and camping gear. I'll probably upgrade to an adjustable stage 3 set one of these days.

They are extended travel - extended on our 100s being a whole inch longer - so it's something to take into consideration as it puts a little extra strain on ball joints and CVs if you're wheeling a lot. If you're not lifting tires and flexing a lot it might not matter.

The ride on the street is night and day better than OME - but not quite as comfortable as AHC. I paired them with some slinky progressive springs that help a lot.

IDK-I'm a fan of the foam cell shocks for split use: DD & Offroad. I like bypass shocks but we're not running a lot of high speed dirt here so FC's are an excellent workhorse while providing stock feeling street ride comfort.

For your build and use- FCPros are an excellent shock and IMO best bang for the buck (no pun intended). These have a little extra extended travel so you can get a little more lift & droop if needed. Ironman4x4 USA is frequently doing sales, offers free shipping on just about everything. So @ $250 a shock its a no brainer. Wait for a BF sale and you might save a few $. And you prob don't need to replace the ironman TB's you already have or TOY13B rear springs unless you've added for plan to add a rear bumper.

The next step is an adjustable foam cell and those are offered by ToughDog- which would be on my radar next time around. Adjustable valving is a nice option for dual purpose use especially if sprung heavy and have various loads, trailering etc. Availability seems to be the only drawback- sometimes you'll have to wait.

If you need a hand swapping those out give me a shout.

I love my foam cell pro's. Been amazing for 2 years. Hard to go wrong!

I am on over 4 years and 47,000 miles on my Icon stage 1 setup, used as a DD and a few hundred off road miles a year, with bumpers front and rear and sliders. They probably need to be rebuilt by now, but none are leaking yet. Even at this interval, they performed very well on 100 miles of rough and washboard road in Death Valley a few weeks ago. I will be rebuilding them by next summer.

If I was to do it again, I might try the TD adjustable, or Foam Cell Pros. Putting the truck on jacks for a week isn't that appealing, but luckily there is an Icon-approved rebuild shop down the road.

Whats to cost of "rebuilding" a set of 4 Icon stage 1 shocks: parts + labor?

FWIW- Ironman states the FCP's are rebuildable but I can't see the cost benefit of doing that on a $250 shock.

IIRC, about $130 a shock for a shop to do it.

IIRC, about $130 a shock for a shop to do it.
I have the Slee shocks on my truck and they quoted ~$200 plus parts as needed to rebuild. Mine are probably due to be rebuilt as well. I assume its worth it to get them rebuilt, but I know there are some more competitors out there now (bilsteins, icon, etc). I have mused at buying a replacement set instead of rebuilding as it may be cheaper, but I assume that the Slee would out perform the lesser cost shocks.

I went a different route, still too early to tell, but so far I really like them. I bought the front and rear extended travel Dobinson's IMS shocks. I only have the rears so far and really haven't taken them wheelin yet. Once my rear bumper is finished (buyin a BIOR rear bumper with single swingout) and the front shocks come in I'll know more. I do like the rears on the street. They are definitely stiffer than the OEMs but not jarring like the OME Nitro Sports. Something to think about. The fronts are due to arrive later this year. Original post from this forum ...

Last edited:
@Manhattan

Thread has been on simmer for a week- you've been radio silent since post #1. :poof:

Allright what'd you decide?

Steel wheels and heavier tires - you could use some shocks that are stiffer than oem for sure. To me, its not so much the weight of the vehicle but the weight if the wheel/tire combo that determines which shock is most suitable.

I really like my Tough Dogs. The adjustability is a nice feature, and they perform great.

My vote still goes for KONI Raid (if you’re not in a hurry)

FWIW I think @Manhattan is running the standard ironman nitro shocks.

I run the FCP not amazing but no complaints. For the $ they are hard to beat.

Anyone have input on the new remote resi Bilstein’s?

"on simmer" Love that @abuck99. @DuckLN raises a good point - light truck / heavy wheel and tire combo is a factor. It's hard to knock the FCPs - simple, proven. Maybe I'll drop the truck at ACC and tell Dugan to surprise me. ;)

"on simmer" Love that @abuck99. @DuckLN raises a good point - light truck / heavy wheel and tire combo is a factor. It's hard to knock the FCPs - simple, proven. Maybe I'll drop the truck at ACC and tell Dugan to surprise me. ;)
Lol-

Careful you might end up with these if youre letting someone else choose your shocks- wouldnt that be a surprise. . . .

1603803840315.jpeg

No kidding. Dugan wanted more power in his 60 - so he swapped in a built 350 with a blower. "Subtle" is not in his lexicon. I think he has icons on his GX but is still a fan of the IronMan FCPs too. I'll see what he recommends.

I went a different route, still too early to tell, but so far I really like them. I bought the front and rear extended travel Dobinson's IMS shocks. I only have the rears so far and really haven't taken them wheelin yet. Once my rear bumper is finished (buyin a BIOR rear bumper with single swingout) and the front shocks come in I'll know more. I do like the rears on the street. They are definitely stiffer than the OEMs but not jarring like the OME Nitro Sports. Something to think about. The fronts are due to arrive later this year. Original post from this forum ...

Same here for IMS I decided to wait for the extended travel to arrive next month. A number of guys in my OR group switched to Dobinsons this year for their 80 series and late model T4Rs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom