Builds "Falcor" the 1984 FJ60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You must be retired!! That’s a lot of work in 100 days. The thing looks great though man, excellent work.
Sort of, I work from home and I had a requirement that if I was at home I was going to work on it for 1 hour a day no matter what. Some days I just put away tools. Other days I went HAM on rivets. Plus, I had someone at Toyota chirping in my ear about buying my Tundra. Sold it last Saturday for the same exact price I bought it for 2 years ago. Dailying the 60 is going to be so bad ass!

Sort of, I work from home and I had a requirement that if I was at home I was going to work on it for 1 hour a day no matter what. Some days I just put away tools. Other days I went HAM on rivets. Plus, I had someone at Toyota chirping in my ear about buying my Tundra. Sold it last Saturday for the same exact price I bought it for 2 years ago. Dailying the 60 is going to be so bad ass!
Welcome to the club, it’s a lot of fun. Yours will be a smoother experience than mine since everything is so fresh.

4 new hood bumpers to replace the worn out crusties.
747B6058-E69B-4164-B64C-D0A50B65CD3E.jpeg

Also got these…
FBC1F780-5FE8-436F-955C-CEBBDD8354BC.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Did you ever figure out what that bracket was? I was gonna say the top part of the front drive shaft u-joint guard....I was fighting to get mine off under the truck this afternoon....WHAT A PITA! I still can't figure it out.

Thats exactly what it is! Hey, I have all of those parts freshly powder coated… I didn’t realize I wouldn’t be using them with the 5spd. They’re all yours if you want them. Driveshaft loop and so forth. Let me know if so.
What year is your truck? Both of mine are early (82, 83) and I’ve never seen this thing.

@CruiserTrash I think his is an 84. Mine is as well and it has it. Its not easy to get off under the truck. I am betting alot of people remove them and not reinstall?
@77CruiserDog Thank you! It was crazy I had just had my hand on that working on getting off then saw your post. Mine is in good shape, but I am debating reinstalling it. Thanks for the offer.

You’re 100% right on both. Do you have a link to the Tuffy? I need one badly.
I think I got mine straight from Tuffy. It’s a caramel color that doesn’t exactly match the interior, but it’s better than the other options. I really don’t know how I drove the truck without one. I also got an extra set of cup holders and attached them to the back for passengers. When you stow the rear seat it barely clears.

885EAE8A-F8BB-4F72-8086-00A5CD4A13DA.jpeg

555 rod ends for the win. This thing had a solid 6” of play at the steering wheel. These made it so there is ZERO play and it is much easier to drive. The tool I used in the picture below worked excellent and I highly recommend it.

467870BB-4C6D-476E-8303-7A55B2B4B940.jpeg
060A9E69-FB38-4795-8BBA-44B53BF3117E.jpeg
0E7D2178-0E8E-4092-909A-E63D6F6BA143.jpeg
E188CCC9-BD29-4D5C-8A55-3B49B86E12D6.jpeg
E15ACADF-5F10-4D72-9902-320FE933422A.jpeg

It’s amazing how wasted these were!! This replacement is in the top three of ease and made one of the biggest differences in daily driving.

New front seat base foam from SOR. Easy and so nice. They’re only 1” taller but because they compress so much less you actually sit up about 2.5”-3” higher.
A051F4D3-7345-4C28-9318-04A9794A8642.jpeg
6A71841B-5C39-4BF4-B1FB-5F939AF6FE13.jpeg
15EE36AF-C2BE-4F00-B7AC-605CB8B41977.jpeg

Enough of a change that I had to adjust all the mirrors and the steering wheel.

Not only are they super comfortable but I can see a bit better and it’s a less cramped driving position. Took an hour and a half but the hog ring pliers didn’t bite me once… so I’ll call that a win!

Did you happen to adjust the rod end flat head screws on the ends upon install? Just curious, My pitman arm end had a lot of slack/tightening available. Not sure if that is normal? Has driven great ever since.

Did you happen to adjust the rod end flat head screws on the ends upon install? Just curious, My pitman arm end had a lot of slack/tightening available. Not sure if that is normal? Has driven great ever since.
Good question, no mine were tight from the beginning. Both of the adjustable ones were snug and after putting about 20 miles on them have remained so. I'm still surprised every time I put just a tiny bit of input in to the steering how much more connected feeling the vehicle is.

Changed the oil in the new trans after about 600 miles or so. I used a magnetic drain plug and fill plug and they were both equally covered in normal small amounts of metal.
CA87D8F7-BF9D-4923-BCD9-58189A3EAA07.jpeg

Cleaned them both off, pumped in some new gear oil, took it for a spin and bolted the skid plate back on. The smoothness of the 5spd is getting better every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom