Builds "Falcor" the 1984 FJ60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Once I get Matilda running I need to do the recall since she’s eligible l. This will be my 2nd rodeo.
Awesome.... I'm sure you did it with your other rig but I dropped it off today with a new sending unit, gasket, screws and the fuel tank inlet gasket for the area just below where the gas cap goes. The other gasket is going to be here today but looks like it will be a cinch for me to toss in after the fact.

Once I get Matilda running I need to do the recall since she’s eligible l. This will be my 2nd rodeo.
Also, funny you say "rodeo" because I'm headed to the Sisters Rodeo on Friday with Falcor. The previous owner Joel told me that when he owned it back in the day HE took it to the Sisters Rodeo, so it makes sense to make this the big shake down run.

New tank installed. They did a wonderful job at Toyota of Kirkland.
DDCCCCF9-9075-4E36-9419-0FAEB0BAF523.jpeg

Headed to Bend on Friday and the Sisters Rodeo. :cool: The rig is ready and the only problem I've created was the seal on the headlight washer tank to the pump is leaking. I'm not sure if it's available still but if that's the only issue, I'd say the frame off experience went well.

Here's a list of some of what I did while the body was off.

• 5spd install
  • c channel replacement
  • new drive lines from Tom Woods like @Hokie LX
  • blasted and coated the frame and a myriad of other parts
  • new clutch kit
  • machined the flywheel properly
  • rear main seal replacement
  • galley plug fix
  • oil pan gasket
  • valve cover gasket
  • valve stem seal replacement (completely solved the oil burning and smoke)
  • cleaned and replated many of the bolts and hardware
  • rebuilt the spare tire winch
  • replaced the front bumper and winch (roughly 100lbs weight savings)
  • replaced the hitch (roughly 40lbs weight savings)
  • new gas tank, sending unit and all the other hoses and clamps including the gaskets and so forth

I started this on March 1st and officially finished it today. Roughly 100 days and completely worth yanking that body... it made nearly everything a million times easier. Thanks for showing me how @LazarusTaxa !!

My impressions on driving over the past few days with the 5spd. That 1st gear is pretty dang low, which is really nice. The rest of the gears are in a much better range with one another. The trans is still super new so it's a bit notchy but I was told that would subside and I've seen it become smoother in just the past few days. Overall, this one thing has made me fall in love with this vehicle. It makes the rig far more driveable and it just feels like the way it should have been from the factory. Looking at the gearing numbers alone won't give you a proper impression of how much of a difference this makes. If it's possible, the vehicle feels quicker and lighter because of the gearing in that trans.

I have one more really cool addition but it won't be for a couple of weeks. First I need to take Falcor on a road trip. Adventure to come!

Cheers,
Adam

Headed to Bend on Friday and the Sisters Rodeo. :cool: The rig is ready and the only problem I've created was the seal on the headlight washer tank to the pump is leaking. I'm not sure if it's available still but if that's the only issue, I'd say the frame off experience went well.

Here's a list of some of what I did while the body was off.

• 5spd install
  • c channel replacement
  • new clutch kit
  • galley plug fix
  • oil pan gasket
  • valve cover gasket
  • new gas tank, sending unit and all the other hoses and clamps including the gaskets and so forth

I started this on March 1st and officially finished it today. Roughly 100 days and completely worth yanking that body... it made nearly everything a million times easier. Thanks for showing me how @LazarusTaxa !!

My impressions on driving over the past few days with the 5spd. That 1st gear is pretty dang low, which is really nice. The rest of the gears are in a much better range with one another. The trans is still super new so it's a bit notchy but I was told that would subside and I've seen it become smoother in just the past few days. Overall, this one thing has made me fall in love with this vehicle. It makes the rig far more driveable and it just feels like the way it should have been from the factory. Looking at the gearing numbers alone won't give you a proper impression of how much of a difference this makes. If it's possible, the vehicle feels quicker and lighter because of the gearing in that trans.

I have one more really cool addition but it won't be for a couple of weeks. First I need to take Falcor on a road trip. Adventure to come!

Cheers,
Adam

The trans does get better. Mine did NOT like going into some gears initially but even after only a hundred miles or so, it's smoothed out a lot. I'm hoping to squeeze in another couple hundred miles on my truck to do the first fluid change before the road trip to GSMTR.

Glad you got it back together!

The trans does get better. Mine did NOT like going into some gears initially but even after only a hundred miles or so, it's smoothed out a lot. I'm hoping to squeeze in another couple hundred miles on my truck to do the first fluid change before the road trip to GSMTR.

Glad you got it back together!
When should I change the fluid the first time?

I'm just running regular gear oil in both my trans and transfer case.

Where are you at on your rig?

Super close.... Got the bottom of the body painted... that was a s*** TON of work. So glad it's over.. Here's a pic before I sprayed the raptor liner

Body.jpg

And the chassis is pretty much ready to go under it... Just need to paint and install the fuel and evap lines:

roller.jpg

But, hit a bit of a snag with the gas tank... I knew there were some light spots of surface rust and had planned to just scrub with soap and water, hit it with rust reformer, and then spray paint it. But, closer look revealed that there was actually a ton of surface rust under all the factory paint... You're super lucky to have a new tank you are starting with.

So, I need to wire wheel it down to metal and get it painted. Then it's just putting parts back together.

I do have a question for you.. When you put your body on, did you put the engine in first or second? It would obviously be great to put the engine on the chassis before the body, but I'm also thinking with the body bobbling around on the engine hoist, it might be better to not have the engine for it to run into?

Dude, that looks amazing!! WOW!!!

Is your vehicle not one of the gas tank recall vehicles? (I just called my guy at Toyota to see how much one would be for you.)

I put the engine/trans/xfer all in and then swung the body on top of it. If you're planning on doing it next week, I'll be in the neighborhood and can give you a hand.

5spd install
  • c channel replacement
  • new clutch kit
  • galley plug fix
  • oil pan gasket
  • valve cover gasket

I started this on March 1st and officially finished it today. Roughly 100 days and completely worth yanking that body...
You must be retired!! That’s a lot of work in 100 days. The thing looks great though man, excellent work.

Dude, that looks amazing!! WOW!!!

Is your vehicle not one of the gas tank recall vehicles? (I just called my guy at Toyota to see how much one would be for you.)

I put the engine/trans/xfer all in and then swung the body on top of it. If you're planning on doing it next week, I'll be in the neighborhood and can give you a hand.

Thanks!

Yeah, mine was a recall vehicle, but the PO was on top of it and completed the gas tank recall back in 1995. So, my tank is nearing 20 years old.

And yeah, I'll keep you updated on progress. Another set of hands would be great if you're around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom