Fairy Overdrive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dynosoar

Slightly Disturbed
SILVER Star
Threads
Hi, I have been looking for a fairy overdrive unit for a long time. I guess they stopped making them about 10-15 years ago but some shop must have one sitting on the shelf. If anyone knows where to find one please let me know. I would also like to hear from anyone who has had experience with one in an fj60.

Thanks

Dynosoar
'82 fj60 - 350 TPI

I have no idea where you would find one. Consider the difficulty of finding parts based on the difficulty of the current search for a complete unit.

Ranger of H55F would be a better option, IMHO.

Mike

A viable and most common alternative is the Ranger overdrive. Still available for numerous applications.

Much has been said in the past. If I recall, the Ranger overdrive is pre-transfer has the advantage with v-8 conversions as it allows for proper alignment (engine,Tcase,Trans). Something like 27% OD rings a bell.

Searching Google yielded this:

http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/rangeroverdrive.htm

Seems like the Ranger is a good unit, based on reports on Pirate 4x4.

-uberhahn

About two weeks ago, fj55 site. A fellow named chris posted a fj55 in Oregon at a shop he uses. Was looking for interest and $ for a sale. I called the shop because the 55 was a diesel conversion "I had a week moment" It has spent most of its life sitting "rough?" It has the overdrive mentioned. The rig may still be there? It may be in the for sale section? Or look back a couple weeks on the fj55 site for the post.

Good luck, Jim

82-SOA-60 was running one then he sold it to FJKai who is running it now. It is a pretty cool thing. It is basically a new rear half of a split case with an O/D built into it. It's nice because no mods are needed to the drivetrain/drivelines. You rebuild your split case and use the Fairy for the rear half. Run the linkage to between your shifter and center consol and install the shifter for it, then you can spiit every gear. I'm not sure on the ratio on it. The only and big drawback I see on it would be obtaining replacement parts if needed. I beleive they were manufactured in England and may have been more common for the Land Rover community.

Yeah I wanna find one to they are occasionally on eBay but you don't no the condition of them

Why would you dig up a dead thread that is four and a half years old just to add a comment like this?

MArk...

Cause I can't see the age and I just did a search and found it

I've had a Fairey in my 87 for about 7 years. I purchased it installed, everything works fine. I'd say it's a bit noiser than the regular transfer case, particularly in overdrive. You probably realize there are two completely different types right? The one I have is a modification to the stock transfer case. One nice thing about having the overdrive is you can run it as a gear splitter. Sometimes I run 3rd gear in overdrive in the hills. I'd rather have a five speed though.

I can't tell you anything about the other version.

Why would you dig up a dead thread that is four and a half years old just to add a comment like this?

MArk...

Why not?

Nothing wrong with a little thread CPR, We can still learn from a dead threads. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom