Fairy overdrive delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So the clip is at the front of the input gear? The OD slides back about a half inch before the PTO spacer hits the casing. It's tight but I might try freeing the c clip with a flathead, then slide the input gear, pto gear spacer out the PTO access port.

Living in the past, I'm going to send this to either a local machine shop or Mark for estimated condition and repair. Depending on price of remachining lower half (debating 5 speed) I'll keep or scrap. If I scrap it the studs are all yours, you've been super helpful and I appreciate it.

So the clip is at the front of the input gear? The OD slides back about a half inch before the PTO spacer hits the casing. It's tight but I might try freeing the c clip with a flathead, then slide the input gear, pto gear spacer out the PTO access port.

Living in the past, I'm going to send this to either a local machine shop or Mark for estimated condition and repair. Depending on price of remachining lower half (debating 5 speed) I'll keep or scrap. If I scrap it the studs are all yours, you've been super helpful and I appreciate it.

I'm guessing I have about as many parts for these as anyone. While I do not have a good idler bearing I do have new shafts and bearing the idler gear used.

Great, interested in taking mine for a rebuild? Still can't get the damn thing out but posting picks with transfer case separated from transmission, is this where the c clip is hiding?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hey there mtn2roady, did you have success getting your Fairey off. I just went thru that myself. Might be able to help?

Ok, just saw your latest pic. The damn snap ring is located on the front face of the over drive gear at the front (the gear that replaces the stock transfer input gear). Unfortunately, because you seem to have the same problem I had, you can't slide the overdrive far back enough to even see it let alone get a pair of snap ring pliers on it. That barrel going from behind the od gear out thru the back of the transfer case has a stack made up of a roller bearing, spacer and shim. The aluminum part of the barrel (housing) slides out but then the steel parts won't. I ended up doing a bunch of grinding on the edges around the roller bearing and spacer so I could slide the overdrive back a little further into the bore where the stock transmission tailshaft support bearing sits. it was a monumental pain in the arse. Not least because that necessitates disassembly of the transfercase to thoroughly clean out all the shavings that were generated in that process. After doing that however, I could see and remove the snap ring. There is another alternative but not a very fun one either. You could take a sawsall to the transmission tail shaft, and put a new one in the trans. $OR charges around 400 bucks for the tailshaft, so that makes 250 sound pretty good (from Georg at Valley Hybrids) The transmission needs to be taken apart though, requiring special pullers (I made them up). I hope you can manage to get the damn snap ring off without having to resort to any of this, but I couldn't because of that clearance issue. I hope this post helps you some. Best of luck.

I'm in the same boat here guys... seized up Fairey and having a booger of a time getting it off. 78 4 speed here. I'm making progress however I believe I'm in the same boat. Need to get that c-clip off.

I'll see about getting some pics taken etc. and added to the thread. Might help someone else tackling the same issue.

Thanks for posting what you have - been reading diligently!

Matt

I'm in the same boat here guys... seized up Fairey and having a booger of a time getting it off. 78 4 speed here. I'm making progress however I believe I'm in the same boat. Need to get that c-clip off.

I'll see about getting some pics taken etc. and added to the thread. Might help someone else tackling the same issue.

Thanks for posting what you have - been reading diligently!

Matt
Hi have any luck on where to get parts for your fairey overdrive.

Is your drive spline collar part in good shape? (the one that fits onto the trans output shaft). That's the part that's a bugger. They always wear out the splines. The keys you could fab up if you had to. The drive collar not so much.

Last edited:
Is your drive spline collar part in good shape? (the one that fits onto the trans output shaft). That's the part that's a bugger. They always wear out the splines. The keys you could fab up if you had to. The drive collar not so much.
The spline collar is ok the 3 keys where missing when the overdrive was stripped down by a gearbox company " they said they weren't there so now i have to try and get some more also i dont have anything that i can make them myself

Those are like hens teeth. Do you have any at all? You could try and see if a machine shop will make a few for you.

I have some Fairey stuff stored at another place, but it's a few hundred miles away. I could have one or two but not sure. I'll check next time I go there.

BAck in the days when I was servicing them regularly, more than one source told me that Fairey tried to avoid making EVERY part of the overdrive from scratch, and that a number of bearings and other small parts were off-the-shelf for other British vehicles.

Those three synchro keys were supposedly MG. ;)

Good on ya Mark! . Maybe Franksy4 can have a better chance of finding them going that route. It sure didn't occur to me. Too bad there are probably no other sources for the drive collars. Hope you're enjoying time off in a cool place.

That i don't know
Would you have the baulk rings
If you do would you be be interested in selling them?

Not sure what you are calling baulk rings are? Been a long time since I dug into this parts. Think I remember a few loose rings in a small plastic bag. Been an awful summer in AZ. The OD parts are store on pallet shelving in an uninsulated garage. Weather tight so no issue with rusting. Going to convert a 73 to a four speed with a PTO winch and Fairey overdrive. Once it cools off I plan on getting the OD stuff more accessible.

Good on ya Mark! . Maybe Franksy4 can have a better chance of finding them going that route. It sure didn't occur to me. Too bad there are probably no other sources for the drive collars. Hope you're enjoying time off in a cool place.

Please show me a picture of what your calling a drive collar. I remember I had one OD where the special lock system on the thread end of the transmission tailshaft had come loose and had to use a lathe. Was lucky I have excess to a full machine shop before I retired. I remember most the bearings and shaft for the idler gear I had plenty of other things a few or no spares. Plan to keep enough spares for my personal use and sell the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom