Fairey Overdrive, low range? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi mud,

I just picked up a 60, and the PO said it had a low range crawl gear that really rocked when in low range on a trail. The unit is attached to the PTO side of the transfer case, and says Fairey company information on it. The shifter (3rd stick) in the cab says "Overdrive" and has an "In" and "out" function on it.

Is this an overdrive and underdrive?

The PO didn't mention that it was an overdrive for the highway. What is the primary function of the Fairey, and can it also be used in off road low range applications?

thanks!

Pics

BD154246-FC2F-44D1-BD67-288D615B3160.jpeg

10088D51-1291-4BFA-AABD-15F775A8A9B9.jpeg

Can you take a better pic of the whole transfer case area

Just overdrive for every gear.
So if you really want to go" trucking" then you can shift in and out overdrive between every gear change.
Can be awkward because first gear with overdrive is higher then normal second gear. And so on.
PM me if you need the manual (PDF).

Just overdrive for every gear.
So if you really want to go" trucking" then you can shift in and out overdrive between every gear change.
Can be awkward because first gear with overdrive is higher then normal second gear. And so on.
PM me if you need the manual (PDF).
So now I am confused as to the PO statement that when in Low range, 1st gear, engaging the 3rd stick made it really crawl...

I had a 5speed BJ42 with this overdrive 😁
You never stop shifting....
It was designed as a overdrive for the 4 speed 40/60 gearbox.
But the fun part is that it could be used in every gear.

I succeeded sharing it up here so enjoy 😉

Attachments

• Fairey_Manual_All (1).pdf
    8.5 MB · Views: 61
I had a 5speed BJ42 with this overdrive 😁
You never stop shifting....
It was designed as a overdrive for the 4 speed 40/60 gearbox.
But the fun part is that it could be used in every gear.
Did you ever experiment with this overdrive in low range?

Same in low gear.
The overdrive is part of the transfer case. No altering/change in the gearbox.

Yep, that's a Fairey OD, lots of threads about them, they are a relic of old. Sounds like your PO was just confused.

Thanks guys! So his boasting about that unit producing an epic crawl gear was essentially backwards? Lol

I don’t mind having a little bit better Highway manners, but I was tentatively excited about the low range enhancement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom