Fairey Overdrive 3 Speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.oregongrain.com
I would like some feedback +/- about the fairey overdrive.

I will be attending the FJ45 run this fall. The drive will consist of 1800 miles round trip. I have the original 3 speed in my LPB with a PTO. I also have in my possesion a fairey overdrive for the 3 speed.

So my conundrum is this.

Choice A: Do I install the overdrive onto the 3 speed thus giving me a better final drive ratio.

Choice B: Swap in a HF55 5 speed and be done with it?

Choice A involves deciding on your tire size and intended top speed, whether or not the Fairey is BRAND NEW or some PO's ??? bailout.

Choice B involves getting another transfer case, loosing all your column shift linkage, your parking brake, and having some custom driveshafts made. Of course you are picking up a MUCH LOWER bottom end and a synchronized tranny.

You know what? I just did an article for TT on considering an H55 in an FJ45. ;)

If you install the HF55 you will have to find the PTO to match the later slpit case too. I plan on using a H41 with the Fairey overdrive, 1973 three speed transfer case and PTO winch in my 65 FJ45

John

Choice A also involves using parts you already own. Minimal mods if you want to stay relatively stock. If your happy with driving a three speed then stay with it. But those five speeds sure are nice...

split case PTO's can be had at G&S Cruiserparts along with shafts and levers. No longer unobtainium.

overdrive

Hello,
Wondering if you have made the decision yet. I am currently looking for a fairey overdrive to put in my 1970 fj40. If you deceid to go another route let me know. Thanks.

Im not really sure on that, one did sell on Ebay, but it really all depends on what shape its in. Ive heard of new, never used units going for around a thousand. If its in decent shape it is worth somewhere around 700. Let me know if you want to sell it and what you would want for it.

I put the H55F behind my H diesel and it was a great decision. I'd much rather have that option than the Fairey. Just try finding replacement parts for one. It's gives me a chill just thinking about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom