Fair value for 92 HZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
Life's changes is causing me to look at my finances from different perspectives. I'm looking at different scenarios, including the value I have in the vehicles I presently own.

What would be a fair market value for my 1992 HZJ80, should I decide to put it up for sale? It's in Ontario, came from UK a couple of years ago, originally licenced in Belgium. LHD, 5 speed, 1HZ, 220,000 kms. Given the unfortunate licensing issues confronting RHD JDM's, I would expect that a few people may be interested in mine.

New timing belt and tensioner, new stainless steel exhaust from manifold back beyond the SS muffler. 31" BFG AT's with plenty of life, after-market black wheels. Truck's probably been painted at some time (nice blue) and rust-free, have had it Krown-treated for good measure. Body's straight and it likely has never been off-roaded. Class III hitch and 4 pin wiring. Recently installed sound-proofing in the cargo, sides and rear doors. Barn-style doors in the back (not a tailgate). Poverty pack model (vinyl floors and seats). Runs excellent, recently got 10.16L/100k on a tank, doing hour long runs to the cottage at 90-100kph. Couple of small oil seal leaks (back of front diff, and one outside seal on rear wheel) is about all that needs to be fixed on it, as far as I know.

Like I said, it's not for sale (not yet anyway), just want a rough idea of what I can hope to get for it on a good day.

Thanks!

I think pricing it will be somewhat difficult as there are no direct comparisons to be made. You could come to the meeting tomorrow night and get some more opinions and meet some potential buyers :D

Hi Adam,
I just might do that, thanks for the reminder about the local meeting.

I should add to the description: based on the vehicle history records that came with the truck, it had a new transmission and clutch installed in the UK at around 170,000 kms (Nov 2003). And the PO who brought it back from the UK had to spend about $2000 locally on parts/labour to have work done on the front axle.

When I bought it, I needed to get an appraisal for insurance, and the appraiser estimated a replacement value of $15,000. Just trying to confirm whether that's in the ballpark, so I can add that to the mix of variables in my overall financial equation.;)

I attach a recent picture of the truck, taken on the road to my cottage.

Cheers.
--Robert
80 19 may 2010.jpg

This is a nice rig. It has two features that I don't see on diesel 80's much in my neck of the woods:(1) Amby doors (2) the 1HZ instead of the 1HD-T. The 1HZ is a solid engine, I put one in my 40:D, and your rig should appeal to a lot of folks. The 1HZ can be turbod easily and intercooled if a buyer wants for a particular application. It can be easily lifted, locked etc for others. Very, very nice rig. If I were to try to sell it here I couldn't get $15k for it, but $10 - 12K in this market would be possible for a good diesel 80. They are valued like gold here. Who is to say how it will all price out in your neck of the woods. Good luck on the sale.
John

Hi Adam,
I just might do that, thanks for the reminder about the local meeting.

I should add to the description: based on the vehicle history records that came with the truck, it had a new transmission and clutch installed in the UK at around 170,000 kms (Nov 2003). And the PO who brought it back from the UK had to spend about $2000 locally on parts/labour to have work done on the front axle.

When I bought it, I needed to get an appraisal for insurance, and the appraiser estimated a replacement value of $15,000. Just trying to confirm whether that's in the ballpark, so I can add that to the mix of variables in my overall financial equation.;)

I attach a recent picture of the truck, taken on the road to my cottage.

Cheers.
--Robert
It would be good to see you out and to finally get a good look at your truck.

Nice roof rack ;) Glad it's finally getting some use

This is a nice rig. It has two features that I don't see on diesel 80's much in my neck of the woods:(1) Amby doors (2) the 1HZ instead of the 1HD-T. The 1HZ is a solid engine, I put one in my 40:D, and your rig should appeal to a lot of folks. The 1HZ can be turbod easily and intercooled if a buyer wants for a particular application. It can be easily lifted, locked etc for others. Very, very nice rig. If I were to try to sell it here I couldn't get $15k for it, but $10 - 12K in this market would be possible for a good diesel 80. They are valued like gold here. Who is to say how it will all price out in your neck of the woods. Good luck on the sale.
John
Thanks John. Yeah, I'm quite impressed with the 1HZ engine. Has plenty of power and pickup and go for my taste (mind you, I owned a BJ60 with 3B before, and have an auto MB 240D in my garage, so am used to low-G acceleration! ;))
Although a tailgate has its advantages, I've come to really like the ambulance or barn doors on mine.
I haven't decided to put it up for sale yet, but I suppose just raising the issue is probably the first step down that slippery slope. I want to give it careful consideration, because I'd likely never find one like this again.
Have fun in YOUR neck of the woods, and don't step into any volcanoes!
--Robert

It would be good to see you out and to finally get a good look at your truck.

Nice roof rack ;) Glad it's finally getting some use
I'll try to make it out, though am flying out next morning so not sure I can swing it (not packed yet! ;))

Yeah, the rack has served its purpose hauling my canoe up to the cottage. Thanks again!

Thanks John. Yeah, I'm quite impressed with the 1HZ engine. Has plenty of power and pickup and go for my taste (mind you, I owned a BJ60 with 3B before, and have an auto MB 240D in my garage, so am used to low-G acceleration! ;))
Although a tailgate has its advantages, I've come to really like the ambulance or barn doors on mine.
I haven't decided to put it up for sale yet, but I suppose just raising the issue is probably the first step down that slippery slope. I want to give it careful consideration, because I'd likely never find one like this again.
Have fun in YOUR neck of the woods, and don't step into any volcanoes!
--Robert

Robert,
Think carefully. Kind of a measure twice cut once situation. You really do have a nice rig. What you don't want is to have next day "seller's remorse". Unless you really, really need to sell it. I wouldn't. Just a thought. If you are still planning an expedition someday, this 80 would be a nice platform that you have already baselined and put a lot of work into.
BTW, it's too late, I live on the side of a volcano and I hike in and out of dormant ones a lot here., Hence I have already stepped in it. LOL. I even found my cruiser living on the side of a volcano here when I bought it a couple of years ago and we wheel here up and down the sides of dormant volcanos all of the time. :D
Good luck,
John

Robert,
Think carefully. Kind of a measure twice cut once situation. You really do have a nice rig. What you don't want is to have next day "seller's remorse". Unless you really, really need to sell it. I wouldn't. Just a thought. If you are still planning an expedition someday, this 80 would be a nice platform that you have already baselined and put a lot of work into.
Sounds like you and the volcano are getting along nicely, and that your truck is aptly named! ;)
I hear you about measuring twice, thanks for sharing that. I admit having sold off more than one vehicle in the past and later felt some regrets. For what I could sell it for, I could likely not easily get something comparable down the road (RHD is definitely not for me). Indeed, careful thinking ahead. Thanks again!

too good to be true, I would buy that truck tomorrow if it was for sale. Good luck with what ever you decide. The 1hz is a great engine mine has a turbo and intercooled, would not trade it for anything.

I think it is the 5spd which really gives it a unique value. LHDs are not that rare or hard to import. Its just that the JDM 80s tend to have a much higher bling package with nice things like electric lockers. Given the kms and few repairs needed to be made, I say $15,000 -18,000 is fair value. Although, I have noted that the value in imported Cruisers seems to really noise dive after 200,000 kms. Personally, I'd rather have the one over 200,000 kms than the one at 120,000 kms that is pretty much fresh off the boat. At least you know that it is more likely that the usual expensive issues have been dealt with.

In this area the truck is probably worth 9-14K I have seen the truck up close and the final price will be dtermined by how badly the buyer wants it and how fast Robert wants to sell it. In my opinion the truck is not mint, it was in good condition when I saw it a few years ago, it had been repainted and there were some areas on the body that would need to be taken care of. The drivetrain was a little tired and not sure if he has taken care of any of the issues, the kms on it to me seemed like hard kms prior to him buying it, it was not pampered, it is not a minty cruiser from Japan.

I do like the 1hz and the 5 speed, iirc the tranny synchros may have been worn a bit but can't say for sure. At the time when robert brought it to me for an opinion I told him to offer the guy 8-9k because it needed several thousand to bring it to the condition that I would think proper. The engine sounded great and was nice and tight.

Just my opinion, I haven't seen it recently and I have no idea what he has done to it.

Louis

i have seen HDJ81s with under 200,000 selling for $8500 recently.
non-turbo
over 200K
base model

i would say 8K - 10K but ask what you want for it but don't be surprised if you are sitting on it for a while.

i have seen HDJ81s with under 200,000 selling for $8500 recently.
non-turbo
over 200K
base model

i would say 8K - 10K but ask what you want for it but don't be surprised if you are sitting on it for a while.

Bang on, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that he has done a few thousand dollars work that it needed when I saw it - if not then it is below 10K for sure, lhd or not.

Last edited:
How many are 5 spds? I wager you don't find any 5spds under $15,000. At least I have never seen any. I guess it all depends on how bad of shape they are in.

You really think 5 speeds garner so much more??? I honestly doubt it, the market dictates what something is worth, if it were an HDJ81 loaded and minty like a JDM then I think that would be an easier sell, if you could find a european LHD that was actually a mint or very good condition truck that is loaded then maybe, but I have yet to see a european cruiser LHD come in that has been a vehicle in good or very good condition, most are like Australian trucks but have more rust on them. A bare bones vinyl 1hz powered 80 series utility truck with a 5 speed is cool, and uncommon in canada but that doesn't make it desirable - maybe over the innerweb but go get up-close and personal with a european truck with higher kms and you will see what I mean.

I'm not bashing his truck, it is a cruiser and I love them all but I will give my opinion - especially since I have actually seen it in person.

Regards,

Louis

Thanks for the additional input folks, much appreciated. I suppose the bottom line is that any vehicle is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and what someone is willing to sell it for. Vehicle condition, and supply & demand, are probably the two most important considerations affecting a price, I suppose.

Anyway, I am in no way offering my truck up for sale, I just wanted to get an idea what I could sell it for, should I find myself in need of doing so because of life situation. I may or may not sell it, time will tell. :hmm:

When the truck came up for sale locally a few years ago, I took it up to Louis for his opinion, knowing that he is knowledgeable about these trucks. Louis was very helpful in pointing out the areas needy of attention, and very honest in his opinion of the truck. Louis admittedly devotes a LOT to upgrade and maintain his Cruiser, and has very high standards when it comes to vehicle condition. Following our discussion, and the opinions he expressed, I had decided to pass on the truck. However, I later re-negotiated with the seller and was able to get it at a somewhat reduced price, in part thanks to what Louis had pointed out. After driving it for over 2 years (no winter or off-road driving though!), I have absolutely no regrets. It's proven a reliable and very useful truck.

I know you weren't "bashing my truck" Louis, but I should probably address a few of the things that you indicated, for any possible future prospective buyer (should I decide to sell):

...it had been repainted and there were some areas on the body that would need to be taken care of.
There was some bubbling under the seal on the bottom of both side cargo windows. A relative of mine who is a pro bodyman took out the windows, addressed the issue (there were a couple of small holes that required welding in small patches) and repainted to match. It looks great and the job was done right.

There is no other rust on the body (other than a small bubbling that's started at one spot under the seal at the bottom of the windshield), no dents other than a few on the rear cargo doors. The undercarriage is also very sound, though obviously not pristine like a JDM ;)
The drivetrain was a little tired and not sure if he has taken care of any of the issues, the kms on it to me seemed like hard kms prior to him buying it, it was not pampered, it is not a minty cruiser from Japan.

I do like the 1hz and the 5 speed, iirc the tranny synchros may have been worn a bit but can't say for sure.
I really like the 5 speed on the highway. As indicated the records indicate that the tranny and clutch were replaced 50,000 kms ago so should still be in very good condition. I remember that Louis didn't like the feel of the clutch when he test drove it. After getting to know the truck, I have absolutely no problem with it. I also replaced the tranny fluid with Redline MT90 (good for syncro wear I was told) and the occasionally notchy 3-2 shift has pretty well disappeared. These 5 speeds are known for the 3-2 shift issues, as I found out perusing the LC sites from Oz.

As I indicated in my original post, there's a couple of small oil seal leaks (back of front diff, and one outside seal on rear wheel) that I bought the parts for but haven't gotten around to addressing yet. Life is busy for me right now, and I tend not to sweat the small stuff too much, regularly check fluid levels and top up when necessary. It's on my to-do list however... ;)

All 80 series AWD Land-Cruisers are known for developing some drivetrain slop and mine is no exception I suppose. I've read that some people have spent fortunes replacing components to try to get rid of it, and still having the same result. I don't have a problem with it.

About "hard kms", this truck has probably been used as a Land-Cruiser was intended to be used, probably on a country estate in the UK (where it came from). It was likely not a grocery getter nor pampered like a JDM. Notable absence of body dents, and running boards, indicate absence of serious off-roading use, which IMHO can be very hard kms ;)

At the time when robert brought it to me for an opinion I told him to offer the guy 8-9k because it needed several thousand to bring it to the condition that I would think proper.
Well, so far I've done what I felt were the more necessary things (fix the issue under rear cargo windows, had wornout exhaust replaced with stainless, upgraded the tires, put in better fluids in the drivetrain, added a digital tach, installed noise-reduction (brown-bread) in the cargo area, replaced timing belt, installed Class III hitch and wiring, etc.).

I think we would all recognize that a "proper" condition is a relative term. Some people cannot tolerate having any component in their vehicle with more than 15-25% wear on it. Others will allow components to get used up to 50-75% wear before replacing in a preventative manner. Others will wait for something to break before replacing. I suppose I'm in the middle category, generally. ;)
The engine sounded great and was nice and tight.
Indeed, the engine is very nice in this truck, and I've been VERY impressed and pleased with the 1HZ! It starts at a turn of the key, and returns very good fuel mileage as I indicated. Wonderful engine. I replaced the timing belt and tensioner for baselining purposes, though the timing belt in there looked like new.
Sorry for the long post, but I figured that since I've sort of "put my truck out there", so to speak, I should clarify its condition as best as I can, following Louis' observations.

Thanks again for all the input and thoughts on market value.

Cheers!

Last edited:
You really think 5 speeds garner so much more??? I honestly doubt it, the market dictates what something is worth, if it were an HDJ81 loaded and minty like a JDM then I think that would be an easier sell, if you could find a european LHD that was actually a mint or very good condition truck that is loaded then maybe, but I have yet to see a european cruiser LHD come in that has been a vehicle in good or very good condition, most are like Australian trucks but have more rust on them. A bare bones vinyl 1hz powered 80 series utility truck with a 5 speed is cool, and uncommon in canada but that doesn't make it desirable - maybe over the innerweb but go get up-close and personal with a european truck with higher kms and you will see what I mean.

I'm not bashing his truck, it is a cruiser and I love them all but I will give my opinion - especially since I have actually seen it in person.

Regards,

Louis

Louise, I didn't say a 5spd 80 garners so much more, just that i have yet to see a diesel 80 with a 5 spd go for under $15K here on the wet coast. It is very rare when one comes up for sale and when one does, the 5 spd is usual a big selling point for the seller. Some people will look past every other factor and focus only on the 5 spd because they hate dealing with auto tranny issues. Right now my 5spd Safari is up on jack stands so I am driving my wife's Auto Safari. Apart from being a bit of a dog on the bigger hills, i am kind of loving it not having to shift 4 gears just to get to 60 km/hr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom