Fair price for top (with good glass)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought an FJ40 (have a 100 as well), ...naive questions, but what is a fair price for a top with good glass? Do they fit all years of the model? Thanks in advance?

I'm not sure about the years for the EARLY early corrugated-side tops, but I'm sure somebody will chime in. Sometime in the 60s.

Up until '74, the hardtops had the multi-piece doors where the skinny top frame of the door slides down and bolts into into the bottom portion, and the inside panel was painted steel with no padded cover. After '75, the doors were one piece, more like a typical, modern car/truck door with a padded door card on the inside. There were other differences, but that's the easiest way to ID the tops around that age. As far as interchangeability, you'll want to stick with the top in your age range, but they're pretty interchangeable after that.

My 1970 FJ40 has a hard top from a 1974 FJ40. Fits properly. I paid $800 but it needed rust repair and painting.

they all sort of interchange with the correct factory parts or some minor mods price varies on location and need im basing this from 64 up the ones i actually did

Last edited:
Early 62 had some oddities that make it not so suitable for any other model. Other than that, there are some small differences that can be accommodated for.

Just a top - no doors, used to be 350-700. They rarely turn up for sale anymore, but a solid, late model top could go for $1200. Add side and rear doors, and $2500 wouldn't be out of line. YMMV greatly on this. It depends a LOT on year and condition of all parts.

Just a top - no doors, used to be 350-700. They rarely turn up for sale anymore, but a solid, late model top could go for $1200. Add side and rear doors, and $2500 wouldn't be out of line. YMMV greatly on this. It depends a LOT on year and condition of all parts.
Agree... as long as the rain gutter is good the fiberglass can be fixed pretty easy... Or buy two and use the really rough one for patches... A sunroof took care of my bad place and lets light in... luckily it was in just the right place

To me for this thread to have any real meaning need to know year, location, what's including (front doors/ambulance doors/hatch) and pictures showing current condition. Would you go into a dealership and ask what your Ford Mustang is worth as a trade in without it being there or any other information? Pretty much the same thing here. FJ40 was sold from 1961 until 1983 any in the US and tons of changes during that time. Good glass is worth less than rust free metal.

Are you buying or selling?

Sure seems like he wants one to me..

:meh:

Thanks all again! I'm buying, I have an opportunity to get one for between $500-$700...haven't started the negotiating yet because I did not know value. I do not currently have one for my project....

Give us some info on it and we'll tell you if it's worth it. :)

First and foremost, it has to be correct for your year. If so then it is all about condition. For me, if I need that part and if it was correct and if in good to excellent condition, I would pay 3x that price given scarcity and/or lack of willing sellers. You get what you pay for as they (me included) say.

Thanks all again! I'm buying, I have an opportunity to get one for between $500-$700...haven't started the negotiating yet because I did not know value. I do not currently have one for my project....

Take a hard look at the midseam of the fiberglass, at the back of the front doors, as well as at both corners of the bracket over the rear door. Those are the stress points when a hardtop is removed and improperly stored.

GLWS

P.S. Looks like you're close enough to become a new customer; my shop is in Burbank. Sorry, I don't have any hard tops.

That's not worth $250 imho.. You would be in it at least $1200 to repair it

That's not worth $250 imho.. You would be in it at least $1200 to repair it
Probably more than $1200 to fix it right with new gutter, rust repair and gel coat! He asked for a "fair price" w/ glass. Pretty sure this fits the bill. Not a lot of hard tops for sale out there that are in decent condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom