Fair price for 1988 fj62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JOFS

GOLD Star
Threads
Looking for input on a fair price for a 1988 fj62 I looked at today.

160K miles. Supposedly new transmission, not clear on what happened to the previous one.

Spent most of its life in California then Florida for a brief time. Has been in Maine for a year and not driven.

Body is perfect, no rust anywhere. The frame looks great. Does have helper springs on the back that makes me wonder how much towing it did, also has towing brake assist installed. Supposedly engine is perfect and has service records that I don't know the details of yet. Has an aftermarket front bumper with tow hitch on the front and rear.

Looks like the front axle needs servicing. I didn't hear it run as the owner wasn't there and it has a dead battery from sitting.

Interior looks perfect.

I don't have any picts at the moment. Just wondering if anyone had thoughts on a fair price.

I am not sure it is for me as I would drive it and it might be the wrong thing to do with a truck in the shape up here with the salt on the roads. Not very practical for me either with the rear having only lap belts and my kids probably couldn't ride back there. But it was in the best shape I have seen any fj62 in this neck of the woods.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
John

It sounds nice.

If it was used to tow, you know what happened to the first transmission!

It's very hard to put an actual value on this, but you'll end up with the least rust FJ62 in Maine so that's worth something.

Maybe $5000?

You own Cruisers so you know about how much fuel they use, but the FJ62 is the worst in that regard, unless all your miles are highway.

I was think $5k as well.

It does look like you have significant cruiser experience, but thought I'd toss in a few ideas anyhow....

1) Be interested to know how long it sat. I've been resurrecting an 88 62 that sat for too long with a chain of related fuel issues etc. Once you have a battery on it...

2) Just completing the retractable belt conversion for FJ62 rear seats (well documented on the site). So easy enough to upgrade the belts to something more familiy/passenger friendly.

Good success

Thanks for the input.

The seller is looking for significantly more than has been suggested here. Asking 9000.

I am still looking at it as I want to see it cleaned up and on the road. It really is the best 62 I have ever seen. I am still interested but it is so nice I don't feel I could drive it in the winter here. Sort of makes it a hard sell to my wife. But it really is in such good shape I wouldn't feel comfortable driving it here with salt on the road as it would rust.

I will try to get some picts once it is running if I look at it again.

John

He probably got close to the asking price... I see low mileage (120-160k) original FJ62s with NO rust and good original interior and paint job going for $8-11k around here. At least the super clean ones that are rare... lots of 5k 220k w some rust needs a paint job 4 owners.

Last edited:
Cruiser springs sag easily. The addition of add a leafs (you called them helper springs) is not unusual.

The previous transmission probably died due to overheating or improper care of changing the fluid. These transmissions need to stay cool and with fresh fluid to last long. If the cruiser was used for towing then the trans probably overheated and fried the clutch packs requiring a new one.

Is the new one rebuilt by a shop or was a used one stuck in?

Front axles are a normal maintenance item and will cost you a few hundred bucks yourself or cost you around $750 for a shop to do it. Regardless of who rebuildis it, make sure marlin crawler seals get installed.

When you test drive it; shift from park to reverse and park to drive and listen intently for a "clunk", If it has a clunk then the output shaft is worn and may cause a problem in the next few years.

I paid $3,500 for my clean FJ62 but it had 280,000 miles on it. I would say that $9,000 is too high for a truck here in CA but maybe back east you guys pay a premium for rust free vehicles?

Yeah you don't find too many rust free fj62s back east for less than 5 or 6..

You can have mine for $6,000. :D

I plan on buying a diesel cruiser or sportsmobile next. I'm not into rock crawling as much now that I found a gf that rock climbs.

Last edited:
I paid $8.5k for mine, bought from a guy in San Diego. Has a bit of rust but is overall quite clean. Also has an H55 swapped in for the A440.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/725017-truck-named-scoobydoo.html

bkfitz said:
I paid 8 for mine after a small bidding war and someone offered me 9 the day after I bought it.
That truck looks like it's in excellent condition; didn't see the engine compartment or undercarriage but if its in that good of shape, I don't think you made out too bad.

Mine was a stock rust free FJ62 with 165k on it. All new cooling system, belts hoses, water pump etc and picked it up for $4200. Feel like I was right in target for my rig. I've heard it was a great deal and I've heard I over paid. But $9k yeesh I'd need a bible of service records.

20130216_203751.jpg

Texas is probably the best place to buy one rust free... as long as the sun hasn't torched the paint/interior...

Mine was a stock rust free FJ62 with 165k on it. All new cooling system, belts hoses, water pump etc and picked it up for $4200. Feel like I was right in target for my rig. I've heard it was a great deal and I've heard I over paid. But $9k yeesh I'd need a bible of service records.

Was it really rust free?

That's what I'm talking about. And yes Sun + extreme heat do equal hell on an interior but hey it's a Landcruiser I don't drive it to look pretty.

Paid $6500 for 86 FJ60 a month back; has no rust, service records from second owner forward (I'm the fourth owner); new cooling system, clean inside- serious sun burnt paint but no dents or other damage; other than a 2" spring over axle all stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom