Should I buy it if as described?

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys. I'm looking for a new project as my 45 is almost done (https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/599736-philippines-45-build.html). I want something with more than two seats for the next project, to be more friendly to taking the friends and family out wheeling over here in the Philippines. I'm pretty set on a 60 even though they are rare as hens teeth here. I found the truck below and am working out all the details with the owner, checking the title and registration and getting some more detailed pictures (I'm working on an oil rig offshore Nigeria till the end of the month. From what I got from him so far its a 1984 BJ60 turbo'd 3B, 4spd manual, PTO winch, small lift with 33x12.50's on it. He mentioned there is a bit of rust in the floor boards (getting more pictures) and the front bumper cover, and the aircon is not working. I'm diggin it and the asking price is around $7500 US. Vehicles are a bit more exspensive here than we're used to back in the States so keep that in mind. Does it sound like a decent deal if its as described? I have no info on the turbo model. Take a look at the pictures and tell me what ya think.

Last edited:
111 view 4 yes votes and no comments? Any reasons not to get it? I dropped a 13bt into my 45 but is there anythings specific to ask about and look for on the 3b conversion? Anything 60 specific I should look for? Help a brother out!

Well, it's hard to say as I don't know the market for these in the Philippines...The warnings for me (and this could be socio-centric) are:

The non-matching rims
The plastic air deflectors on side windows
The stated rust, which is always worse that you can see.
The weird front bumper and "bullbar" is basically a damage multiplier put on for show.
The Nerf bars instead of sliders
Etc.

It's a diesel, that's a pretty big deal here, but maybe not there.

It just seems a little "hobbled" together. You may have to undo
as much as you do.

Trapper's right, rust is always more than meets the eye. Could be that the other stuff mentioned by Trapper was the current owners idea of fashion for the 60. But then again, who really knows until YOU or someone you trust visually inspects her. Too much to ask off of just two pictures. My .02

You guys are right and I will do a thourogh inspection on it when I get home. Heres where I am seeing it from. On prices new vehicles are 20-100% higher than the states depending on if they are built in Japan or Thailand or if they are imported from the states. Reference specifically for 60's I talked to a guy selling a hj62 2h no turbo, auto, sf rear and he was asking $18k. Also so a HJ61 12H-T auto factory lockers for $9k but it was already sold. The 45 in my other thread was $5000USD and I replaced almost everything on it. I'm planning to do the same if needed on the 60. When it is done it would go for between $20-25k USD. Not many 45's or 60's here.

Pluses are the 3b and turbo kit if its working correctly, PTO winch installed, FF rear end. Those parts would run me between $4k and $5k to source.

Minuses for me is the rust issue depending how bad it is, the nonfunctioning aircon, and the 4spd instead of 5spd.

Labor is cheap here so rust repair, body work, and paint are a tiny fraction of what it would run in the States. If I do get it, it will be stripped down to the naked frame and built from the ground up like the 45 was. So I guess what I'm getting at is what would that truck go for back home with the turbo'd 3B, winch FF, etc etc? If its more than $5k I'm comfortable getting it and fixing it. Thanks for the help guys I know this is a theoretical what if but it helps me work it out in my mind.

Thanks Trapper. Looked over the papers and they look to be correct, a police buddy is checking them with the DMV there to be sure. Talked to the guy this morning should have more pictures later today or tommorow. He didn't come out and say it but he sounds upset about getting rid of it and the wife is the driving factor of the sale lol. As far as the socio-centric aspects.... If a vehicle is more than 3 years old it probably has parts from something else on it due to surplus parts from Japan being cheaper than new. Nonmatching wheels is fairly normal. Huge bullbar monstrosities in stainless are VERY commorn with the Filipinos. All thats correctable to me, from the 45 build I've met enough guys I can get nice used or NOS parts for just about anything land cruiser. When I get more pictures I'll post up and ya'll tell me what ya think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom