Fair 1974 FJ40 Selling Price? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmamj

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm putting up my '74 40 for sale and am trying to determine a listing price. My technical expertise and knowledge of 40s isn't totally limited, but I'm way out of my league in relation to many of you who know them inside and out. I'd like to tap your collective wisdom to see what you value it at. I think it's pretty safe to say it isn't a $15K truck, and I don't think it's a $6.5K truck. I think it's somewhere in the middle, maybe around $10K. I'd really appreciate thoughts of those who have been around Land Cruisers for a lot longer than I have and who know the market well. Not sure where I'll post it yet. Would appreciate your ideas on pricing, and if there is anything else that should be put in this write up?:

This 1974 FJ40 is equipped with the original F engine and 3-speed transmission. It's been in Arizona since it came from Washington state in 2011. It wasn't running when I purchased it a couple years ago, and just about every part I used to revive it was OEM, whether sourced from other Land Cruisers or directly from Toyota if the parts were still available. Here are the details:

Title: Clean Arizona title, disclosed with actual mileage unknown (see odometer section below).

Numbers: The VIN on the body (FJ40161627, manufactured in October 1973) does not match the VIN on the frame (VIN FJ40165581, manufactured in December 1973), so a body swap was done at some point. I don't know when.

Plates: Emissions (required in Maricopa County, AZ) and registration were good through the end of February, but I let them lapse due to sale.

Engine: The F engine runs very strong and I have not rebuilt it nor made any modifications. Its pretty much the same as when I bought it, other then new fluids at correct intervals of course. Slow oil drip which will need to be addressed.

Clutch,Transmission, and Transfer Case: Solid clutch and transmission shifts smoothly. Drips in transmission and transfer case will also need to be addressed.
Odometer: Actual mileage is unknown. Odometer shows 2199 miles but miles do not turn over after the tenths reach 0. I have another instrument cluster which I haven't installed which will be included.

Fuel system: Has aftermarket fuel tank, sending unit, and fuel filter (have new OEM filter that I haven't installed). Has OEM mechanical fuel pump and original Aisin carburetor. Carb may need adjustment as she doesn't like to run cold. Get her up to operating temp and she runs perfectly.

Battery: About a year old and cranks well. No issues.

Electrical system: Lighting and everything electrical is functioning properly, with the exception of the windshield washer fluid sprayer (wipers themselves work just fine). The wiper washer sprayer motor works when bench tested, but won't operate via the wiper switch. I suspect a new switch may be necessary. Fuse box is original.

Cooling system: Radiator has been flushed and has new coolant. Good hoses and belts. Operating temperature is very stable. Both front and rear heaters work great.

Brakes. Currently brakes are soft. Just replaced shoes on all four and adjusted, but still need to pump twice to get brakes. Master Cylinder may need replacement. Could also have air in the line - just haven't got around to fully addressing it.

Tires: Brand new all-terrain with less than 5 miles on them (no exaggeration - haven't wanted to drive it until the brake issue is corrected). Size 31 x 10.50 x 15. Spare tire is old but holds air with no problem.

Top and Doors: Has factory hard top doors but no hard top. Doors are in great shape with very little rust on the bottom and with good glass. Will need new weatherstripping. One door hinge pin is missing. Comes with Best soft top with frame, however no mounting hardware. Bikini top is also included.

Body: Rear sill does have rust on the right side, otherwise looks pretty good. There a few small rust holes on the panel above that. Driver side pan is rusted and has very extensive Bondo repair (previous to my ownership). When looking at the underside, decent steel still remains under the Bondo, but there are rust holes which weren't repaired. Although it feels solid, I would eventually replace it. Passenger side pan has rust holes also. Again, it is still relatively solid, but I would replace it. Please see the pictures. New weather stripping is needed for the rear barn doors. Temporary stripping is in place to prevent rattling. Front right fender has a dent, and the apron is slightly pushed in. It is moderately lifted giving it what I feel is an appealing FJ40 look. The original shackles are included.

Interior: Original front seats and rear jump seats have been very nicely reupholstered. Upper dash pad has some cracks, lower dash pads are in great condition. Comes with the original AM factory radio. The radio turns on, lights up, and sound comes out of the original speaker in the glove box, but the dial will not turn. This can be professionally rebuilt to be in like-new condition for about $250. An original radio is a very nice touch. Instrument knobs are OEM. Original factory steering wheel with original horn buttons. Center wheel pad is in great shape. Both front and rear heaters work great.

Accessories and tools: Although not currently installed, it comes with the original zipper tool bag with all original tools, jack and jack mount, jack rods and mounts, and mounting bolts. The original tool bag straps disintegrated to the touch, so I made new ones that are very close to original. Even comes with original glove box items - the inspection light inside the vinyl pouch and a can of touch up paint. Has original front floor mat and original owner’s manual.

Extra parts: Two starters, alternator, skid plate, instrument cluster, heater blower motor unit, front heater, original shackles, complete smog set-up (smog pump, air rail, charcoal cannister, etc.), Chilton's manual, tow hitch, OEM fuel filter, and a few others.

Not to bash your rig, I like it, if I were looking to buy it I'd be offering $6,500-$8,500.

Not to bash your rig, I like it, if I were looking to buy it I'd be offering $6,500-$8,500.
same, but on the lower end, knowing what a resto cost as a DYI project I would not buy it for more than low 5's, that's from an educated been there done that,,,,, And expensive stuff I have to source out (paint),,,, at 5 it would take 15K to restore and hopefully you would have a 20K truck,,, once again,,, not bashing it. It is worth what you will take from a man standing in front of you with Benjamins. But I would want to take it back to showroom factory,,,, could pay more and restore less,,,,,

same, but on the lower end, knowing what a resto cost as a DYI project I would not buy it for more than low 5's, that's from an educated been there done that,,,,, And expensive stuff I have to source out (paint),,,, at 5 it would take 15K to restore and hopefully you would have a 20K truck,,, once again,,, not bashing it. It is worth what you will take from a man standing in front of you with Benjamins. But I would want to take it back to showroom factory,,,, could pay more and restore less,,,,,

I would not repaint that rig, the patina is nice on that one.

Yeah, the cancer decreases value more than I'd like, especially for someone with restoration in mind. I always have liked the look of it as is, but you just can't argue the appeal of a nicely painted 40.

Thanks guys. I'm starting to formulate how much I'll ask. Have seen some CL rigs priced in the low five figures that have a lot more to be desired than this one. Have always wondered how much they've went for.

Shaun, as you said, it's as valuable as the man with the Benjamins in hand. I just want to offer it at an honest, reasonable price, obviously while maxinizing what I can get.

Yeah, the cancer decreases value more than I'd like, especially for someone with restoration in mind. I always have liked the look of it as is, but you just can't argue the appeal of a nicely painted 40.

Thanks guys. I'm starting to formulate how much I'll ask. Have seen some CL rigs priced in the low five figures that have a lot more to be desired than this one. Have always wondered how much they've went for.

Shaun, as you said, it's as valuable as the man with the Benjamins in hand. I just want to offer it at an honest, reasonable price, obviously while maxinizing what I can get.
Did you ever determine the value of this one? I could tell you what I would offer, if it's still available?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom