Failing Power Steering Rack Symptoms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OwnerCS

GOLD Star
Threads
Replaced a weak power steering pump over the weekend. It did not have a huge amount of whine. The symptom was very little power assist (maybe 10% to 20%). Hard to steer around corners to the point of being dangerous to drive. Replaced a 4-month-old OEM pump and flushed the system repeatedly. An earlier bad experience with a Dorman reservoir allowed dust and dirt to be sucked into the system. Multiple pumps have been replaced in the past year and flushings to remove the mess caused by the Dorman reservoir.

A new rack was installed in early 2020 that worked ok until recent problems with stiff steering. A SunSong line was installed with the new rack. That line was replaced last weekend.

While the steering is better, there are still a few stiff spots that happen when turning corners. When a Rack goes bad, does it develop stiff spots in the steering?

Pictures of new parts installed this weekend. The only thing that I haven't replaced is the rack. No leaks in the system at this point.

Does a failing rack have places where steering is stiff and other places where it feels normal?

New OEM Pump

1653914159272.png

New OEM Lines

1653914263224.png

1653914344774.png

New OEM Lines

1653914454383.png

New OEM lines.

1653914496867.png

I wonder if the gunk you were seeing in the reservoir affected the rack in some way?

My suspicion at the moment. I'm not familiar with the internals to know how it would impact it.

What was the make of the rack? If you mentioned is above I must be missing it...

I wonder if there is a way to back flush it to try and push that out. My thinking is I could be stuck against gears in the rack and pumping through in the normal direction doesn’t get it out, but maybe switching the flow would? No idea if that would be detrimental to any of the seals or anything internal.

What was the make of the rack? If you mentioned is above I must be missing it...
OEM - New in 2020 -- less than 10,000 miles.

I wonder if there is a way to back flush it to try and push that out. My thinking is I could be stuck against gears in the rack and pumping through in the normal direction doesn’t get it out, but maybe switching the flow would? No idea if that would be detrimental to any of the seals or anything internal.
Good idea. Not sure how to implement given the line sizes and configuration.

I think the rack needs to be taken apart by someone who knows racks and what to look for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom