Failing Heim on ram assist ? How dangerous is it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a bit of wander in my steering and some death wobble on the highway. I thought it might have just been unbalanced 40s but then I noticed a little thump In my steering when idling and a metallic clang noise over bumps.
I put the 5 year old in the drivers seat to wiggle the steering wheel around and found that the Heim joint has a bit of play and is where the clunk is coming from. I think I know the answer, but is replacing the ram the only solution? It’s not expensive to replace but figured I would ask before I attempt to order a replacement.

C8EA1BD3-5951-473D-B45C-D24867D6E7F5.jpeg

5FBDA219-EF7A-4FC2-A64A-98E190C6B592.jpeg

assuming I can order the same exact ram, is there anything i need to know as far as swapping a new one in?

Here in NoVA one of my trucks failed inspection because of the Heim joint... The mechanic said it was illegal... But that was 10 years ago.

I don't know how DC does inspections.

A bad ram home joint should not cause a death wobble. A bad TRE, out of balance tires, worn suspension will.
the wondering may be caused by the ram. From my research and driving my ram assist it wonders.
I would go with a PCS ram they have removable Heim joints.
And 2x on double shear!

I did a little google since this is new to me. Would I be correct if I said double shear would have another metal washer on the bottom, sort of like it does on the top? I was expecting the top metal piece to pop out so I was surprised when it dodnt

when you rock the steering wheel back and forth you can feel a little popping that can also be felt when you hold the joint. You can see it shifting around in the rod and there is up and down play. The tie rod ends seem to be good and don’t have any noticeable play.

If it was to fail when going down the highway... one, how likely is it that if it totally fails (and then die in the middle of a giant ball of rolling metal) .. or would I just lose the power assist and continue driving along with out powersteering?

Last edited:
Here in NoVA one of my trucks failed inspection because of the Heim joint... The mechanic said it was illegal... But that was 10 years ago.

I don't know how DC does inspections.
I’m in MD and have street rod tags so no inspection for me!

Double shear has mounting points top and bottom that "capture" the heim joint in the middle (top). You can see the issue with single shear (bottom).

shear.png

The nice thing about hydro assist is when it failed you will still have stearing from the steering box.
I carry caps for the hydro assist lines off the box.

The nice thing about hydro assist is when it failed you will still have stearing from the steering box.
I carry caps for the hydro assist lines off the box.
Ok well that’s good to know. I’m going to order a new ram but not sure if I can order one that’s just plug and play? I get the impression you may have to set the stroke or pressure on it?
Good to know I should be able to still drive it around until it’s fixed. I’ve been driving it quite a bit lately .

The stroke and diameter of the rod. I found mine at PSC scratch and dent for half the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom