Failing Fuel Pump Symptoms? Edit: Now With Data (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTV

SILVER Star
Threads
2007 LC, 194k miles. As far as I know the pump is original, filter was replaced about 65k miles ago. Currently on my way to Michigan.

Two days ago I drove from Boise to Ashton, ID. Drove perfectly fine the whole way until I missed my turn on a FS road and had to jab on the brakes fairly hard (not nearly hard enough to engage ABS though). I put in it reverse and notice the truck is really struggling to keep running and a few seconds later dies. I crank a few times but no start. I checked the fuel cap, no pressure escaping or fuel smell. I waited a few minutes and it fires up like nothing is wrong. I figure maybe it was because I had less than a 1/4 tank when I stabbed on the brakes and the pump grabbed some air? Doesn’t really make sense though…

No problems yesterday, filled up and did near 100 miles.

Today drove from Ashton to Grand Tetons and then another hour to find camp, also about 100 miles. When I arrived to camp I throw it into reverse and it starts to die again but this time I just shut it off. I check the cap again, nothing abnormal. I wait again, put the key to ON and listen for the fuel pump and can’t hear anything (I imagine these things are pretty silent though?). I crank it over and it starts right up and idles.

I’m not getting any idiot lights on the dash, unfortunately my new laptop won’t run Virtual Box so I haven’t hooked up Techstream.

Does this sound like a failing fuel pump or something else?

Based from first hand experience on a VVTi 2UZ, that is 90% fuel pump failure.

Sounds like when you have enough fuel you’ll be alright in the meantime.

I’ll keep an eye out for ya tomorrow in Grand Tetons

Reactions: GTV
Sounds like when you have enough fuel you’ll be alright in the meantime.

I’ll keep an eye out for ya tomorrow in Grand Tetons

Fingers crossed. I just ordered a Denso pump off of rockauto, it should arrive in Jackson on Tuesday.

I *think* I’ll be in the north end of the park tomorrow. Flag me down if you see me, will you be in your 100?

Fingers crossed. I just ordered a Denso pump off of rockauto, it should arrive in Jackson on Tuesday.

I *think* I’ll be in the north end of the park tomorrow. Flag me down if you see me, will you be in your 100?
I wish. We flew out here and rented a couple mini vans. If you see a white dodge caravan and a black Pacifica, I’m in one of those with the all the in laws haha.

Hot and high altitude seems to have an affect on the 06-07 fuel pump. Replace with the sequoia denso pump like most of us did and you should be fine.

Hot and high altitude seems to have an affect on the 06-07 fuel pump. Replace with the sequoia denso pump like most of us did and you should be fine.

Yep, that’s the plan. Hopefully it survives a couple more days.

From camp last night.
0661A19C-0C12-4DEF-8F3D-38CCFE5B24E2.jpeg

Aaah why a Sequoia Denso fuel pump? is it an updated fuel pump or something? whats the part number or year of Sequoia I should be looking at?

only 06 and 07. I don't know why they call it a sequoia pump, maybe my fault.

2006-2007 fuel pump denso #950-0210 instead of 23220-50160​

Looks like the truck isn’t letting me off that easy. Drove fine after the pump install yesterday evening but this morning the check engine light and VSC lights are on. I can feel some surging going on when I hold the throttle at a steady cruise. Not sure what to make of that.

I’m going to continue on through Yellowstone today. Wish I still had Techstream up and running :bang: Is there anyone here around Northern Wyoming or the Black Hills that has TS and would be willing to help a brother out?

Last edited:
Looks like the truck isn’t letting me off that easy. Drove fine after the pump install yesterday evening but this morning the check engine light and VSC lights are on. I can feel some surging going on when I hold the throttle at a steady cruise. Not sure what to make of that.

I’m going to continue on through Yellowstone today. Wish I still had Techstream up and running :bang: Is there anyone here around Northern Wyoming or the Black Hills that has TS and would be willing to help a brother out?
Since fuel pump has been ruled out and is new, next in line would be fuel filter. You may also want to do a visual on your MAF sensor and while at it, clean/service it. Do you have a basic OBD2 tool with you to pull and eventually clear the DTCs?

Since fuel pump has been ruled out and is new, next in line would be fuel filter. You may also want to do a visual on your MAF sensor and while at it, clean/service it. Do you have a basic OBD2 tool with you to pull and eventually clear the DTCs?

No OBD2 tool. I agree on the fuel filter but it was replaced about 65k ago (along with all the other work by @2001LC).

So I just drove from the northern Tetons to YNP. Surging on anything that wasn’t idle or near full throttle. Then the surging issue got noticeably better until the last hill coming up to Canyon Village then I lost a LOT of power and the CEL started flashing (all other gauges were normal). I didn’t dare shut it off in fear that it would leave me stranded so I drove slowly on the shoulder and by the time the road started to level out my power came back and the CEL stopped flashing.

So now I’m sitting in the exact same place I was almost exactly two years ago when the booster went out. Fun. I’ll poke around and see what I can find.

I just replaced mine with OEM at 225k 06 LX after having fuel vapor lock and stalling.

I have the CEL still on with the P0420 P0430 CAT codes. The exhaust shop here says the fuel additives are clogging up the CATs

Did you check for misfires. Surging might be coils or injectors.

Ok I think I may be on to something… hopefully.

Checked air filter. I’m embarrassed to say it was seriously dirty. I knocked the dirt loose and found some compressed air to blow it out. Ok for now but as soon as I get to a parts store I’ll replace it. I cleaned it in NM a few months ago but I guess I should have just replaced it. Apparently I’ve been doing a lot of miles in the dirt! I fired it up and gave it a few revs, still stumbling on tip in.

After seeing the condition of the filter I took @OEMGUY0720’s advice and cleaned the MAF. Closest thing I could get here for the job was rubbing alcohol. I just now fired it back up and it’s revving smoothly, albeit with the idiot lights still on.

Thanks for helping me through this everyone. I can turn a wrench but I’m not the best diagnostician. I’ll keep this thread updated when I can.

Another thing that I can add, since your fuel pump is delivering effectively now especially on the 2nd speed function of it (2-speed type - and usually switches to that on a couple of variables: altitude, uphill, heavier load than usual), one of the possibilities why your 2UZ VVTi is sputtering on high loads (uphill and/or heavy throttle) is somewhere in the fuel line there may be blockage. You can use a fuel cleaner additive, they are pretty much all the same. It’s inexpensive and hopefully that improves the engine’s response on uphills.

I am almost certain that when you hook up an OBD2 reader to your LC, it will give you a P0420/30 cat-related DTC.

I got the same random stalls when I put the truck in reverse about summers ago.
Driving fine 100-130 km/h then slammed on the brakes, pulled to the side, died when it engaged reverse...
then another day same thing, high speed + semi hard braking then reverse and died.

It hasn't happened again in 2 years nor I have changed any parts.... :confused:

My truck has a bit of a stumble at idle and a choppy throttle response when revving in neutral. I'm not seeing a noticeable drop in vacuum when holding steady at 3000 rpm relative to idle vaccine pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom