Failed Smog. . . (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Cruiser Community, I have pretty much all stock April 79 Calif FJ40 that's happy and running really well. Will Turn over 400K later this year. Didn't pass smog this am and I need to tweak it myself as no one seems to know what a carburetor is anymore. I used lean drop method to set mixture and timing is at 7 degrees. Can anyone give me a rundown on how to lean it out to get thru smog. I get dinged 30 bucks for every re-test so hoping to get it right with one more try. Do I lean it till it starts to die and then back it out and how far? Retard timing after? Any suggestions are super appreciated.

Or take it to K&H they can do a pre test do the adjustment and then smog it.

Thanks for the props guys, but I’m out. I haven’t taken a vehicle in since my mom passed last July, and I am still backed up with bench work. In fact the bench work back up is so bad, two people have sent me $$ just for a place in line for bench work! I’m flattered, but still trying very hard not to over promise myself.

As it stands, I told one prospect yesterday I may not see a vehicle until next year. As I said in the warehouse fire thread, I am very carefully weighing every ‘yes’ I give against the opportunity cost of the time I need for my health and my own projects.

Jeff, I actually saved your message on my answering machine. It is always a source of extra pride to know when someone who does their own work sees the difference and the value in my services.😊

Maybe post a pic of the smog readout, might help?
Thanks, Prefer to sort this out myself if possible. I'm pretty capable. There are several stories that go with that but I won't bore you with those. Thanks. Andy.

Attachments

• FJ40Smog.pdf
    195.3 KB · Views: 74
I always have to reset things and make tweaks to pass smog here in Nevada. Here is what works for me:
Carb leaned out to where it will just idle. Will be kind of rough.
Change the oil
Timing set with zero advance. Put it at TDC
Run it till there is only 2-3 gallons left in the tank and add a gallon of denatured alcohol.
Make sure the engine is good and hot when you take it in.
Works for me. YMMV
Al

Try also replacing PCV valve and or replacing/cleaning your air filter on top of adjusting your timing.
wouldn’t be a bad idea to clean or change your spark plugs and change the oil.

I always have to reset things and make tweaks to pass smog here in Nevada. Here is what works for me:
Carb leaned out to where it will just idle. Will be kind of rough.
Change the oil
Timing set with zero advance. Put it at TDC
Run it till there is only 2-3 gallons left in the tank and add a gallon of denatured alcohol.
Make sure the engine is good and hot when you take it in.
Works for me. YMMV
Al
Thanks a bunch Al. I'm also collecting tips from the webs in general and will dive into the truck in a day or so. Oil has 2K miles since changed but I'll do that too. I know I have some crap in my tank and I'm resistant to running most of the fuel out of it. Probably a good time to do that tank too. I'm surprised it'll even run at TDC and leaned out all the way. Very helpful. I'm also seeing some stuff about tweaking the valves which hasn't been done in awhile. Thanks again.

One of the things I've noticed in the past when in CA is that if you bring it in cold they will not wait until it is warm before testing and you will likely fail. Run it up on the freeway to get it warm and then get to the station before it has time to cool down. It has worked for me in the past, also run premium in the tank can't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom