Failed Smog, blown radiator, Techstream / OBDII halp. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So went to do smog and catalyst monitor was no set. I had disconnected the battery some weeks earlier and ran many cycles in that time however not the Lexus set version.

At smog, smelled of coolant, saw leaking coolant. Looks like my radiator took a good time to s*** the bed. So I decided to sent to a local shop for Radiator replacement, t-belt + water pump etc, oil change just do some maintenance stuff a little early.

Now I have neither techstream or a obd2 reader. Whats everyones suggestions? Im also all mac based so i'd need to set-up bootcamp / parallels or just buy a cheap windows laptop for just this.
What suggestions do you guys have? T/S or OBD2 for simple day to day needs.

pic for views.

DE000195-B2C3-4E2F-9D8C-24AFC0387293.jpeg

Last edited:
Go with both. An OBDII reader can just be left in the car to clear codes (or investigate something while on the road), but doesn't really compare to Techstream at all.

For TS, go with Parallels. I followed the thread for Virtualbox and it worked the first time. Then it upgrades, and loses track of the whole deal. I did that cycle about twice and the only thing I could figure out was that it was worth paying for a commercial product.

Go with both. An OBDII reader can just be left in the car to clear codes (or investigate something while on the road), but doesn't really compare to Techstream at all.

For TS, go with Parallels. I followed the thread for Virtualbox and it worked the first time. Then it upgrades, and loses track of the whole deal. I did that cycle about twice and the only thing I could figure out was that it was worth paying for a commercial product.
Any preference for T/S Cables? There seem to be hundreds on amazon.

x2, especially if you have AHC you’ll want Techstream.
Im AHC-less. Im going to need to buy either. macbook or surface tablet or older PC to use as I have a mac pro and nothing mobile anymore. Not sa problem just need to decide which route to go. I read you can run T/S + Parallels on a ipad pro which I have but it might not be cable supported due to USB-C

Any preference for T/S Cables? There seem to be hundreds on amazon.

I've had great luck out of this one: Amazon product ASIN B084P3WCJC. Mostly because the drivers are easy to locate (AFAIK they're mostly all the same, but drivers can be a pain to locate sometimes).

The Surface Pros are pretty sweet, but I didn't want to buy a whole computer just to tinker with the settings. I hate dealing with Windows and use it only when I have to.

Now if I could run it on an iPad Pro...I've got some reading to do. I almost always have the iPad with me anyway.

(edit: add the link :bang:)

I've had great luck out of this one: Amazon product ASIN B084P3WCJC. Mostly because the drivers are easy to locate (AFAIK they're mostly all the same, but drivers can be a pain to locate sometimes).

The Surface Pros are pretty sweet, but I didn't want to buy a whole computer just to tinker with the settings. I hate dealing with Windows and use it only when I have to.

Now if I could run it on an iPad Pro...I've got some reading to do. I almost always have the iPad with me anyway.

(edit: add the link :bang:)
I had read you can run parallels on the IPP but being USB-C is problematic. Maybe thats better now with the VB updates. Its worth be buying and trying out as I already have a IPP

I had read you can run parallels on the IPP but being USB-C is problematic. Maybe thats better now with the VB updates. Its worth be buying and trying out as I already have a IPP

Yeah, I'm thinking the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom