Failed Radiator: 2nd failure mode (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I noticed the coolant level slowly but consistently dropping on the expansion tank, so I had to take a closer look to see if/where I might have a leak. The typical place where it cracks next to the label on the top looked perfectly fine. What I found was the radiator leaking coolant, apparently out of the lower seam between the core and the plastic tank. This radiator is only 4 years old, bought from the local Toyota dealer. Toyota only offers a 12-month warrantee on their parts, so I'm off to buy a new radiator (updated part number). Has anyone else encountered this failure mode?

So I noticed the coolant level slowly but consistently dropping on the expansion tank, so I had to take a closer look to see if/where I might have a leak. The typical place where it cracks next to the label on the top looked perfectly fine. What I found was the radiator leaking coolant, apparently out of the lower seam between the core and the plastic tank. This radiator is only 4 years old, bought from the local Toyota dealer. Toyota only offers a 12-month warrantee on their parts, so I'm off to buy a new radiator (updated part number). Has anyone else encountered this failure mode?
I’m just going to ask - is it for sure an OEM part. Dealers have been known to sell 3rd party items. Further - could it have been damaged during install? Any pics?

It was bought at Toyota of Dallas, so I have no reason to question if it was a 3rd party item. I put it in myself, so I'm confident nothing got forced/banged or otherwise damaged during the process. It had been working just fine for the last 4 years until recently, when I began loosing coolant. Here is a picture of the label on top:

tempImage0R25Cl.png

If it wasn’t OEM it wouldn’t have the Toyota tag. A dealer did mine too but wasn’t OEM. It lasted 2.5 years

Patch it

There are references to other failure modes in this thread, including in brand new OEM radiators. It's not unheard of, through yours seems an unusual case.

New radiator (updated design) is in and the coolant leak is gone. It was definitely at the seam between the core and the lower tank. I wish Lexus hadn't put all these big plastic covers all over the engine bay. It would be easier to monitor all the fluid levels, etc. I'm thinking about ditching them and retrofitting the LC part that just covers the gap forward of the radiator support. Has anyone else done that?

I'm thinking about ditching them and retrofitting the LC part that just covers the gap forward of the radiator support. Has anyone else done that?
I believe the hood profile is different at the leading edge. Probably better to just cut yours down in a way that makes the parts you need visible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom