Factory weld under the rubber on steering shaft 1987? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BigRiggs

SILVER Star
Threads
I took the steering shaft off my 87 to grease the telescoping splines in an effort to get rid of the steering clunk like so many threads mention and since later FJ60's do not have the grease zerk. I removed it at the steering gearbox end and there is a rubber boot that covers where the shaft telescopes. When I set it on my bench to grease I couldn't help but notice the weld where the shaft meets the U-joint area didn't look factory or as finished as other stock parts. Hopefully it is all in my head but I want anyone's opinion since this is a main steering component that MIGHT be relying on a welder I have never met or one not employed by Toyota. I've searched for pictures before and after doing this and can't find anything under the telescoping rubber boot on late FJ60's. Thanks for your time and input.
upload_2017-4-9_22-8-9.png

upload_2017-4-9_22-9-12.png

upload_2017-4-9_22-10-8.png

upload_2017-4-9_22-11-7.png

I "think" that's a Toyota weld. One way or another the shaft has to be welded to the U joint. They are two separate parts.
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Not give it a second thought. It's a bomber weld.

The steering shaft doesn't apply much force at all the the steering gearbox since you've got power steering. You can usually turn the car with just a finger on the steering wheel. I might hazard to say that it would be "impossible" to break that weld when the shaft is installed on the truck. The u-joint is probably the weaker link.

Looks just like mine, which I have every reason to believe is factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom