Factory tubular tire carrier handle a 33" spare? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can a factory tubular tire carrier handle a 33" diameter tire? A BFG 33/10.5-15 to be exact.

At one point I had a 33/12.5 mud terrain as a spare on different truck with the factory tubular carrier and I recall it sticked out past the body a bunch. I recall the driver side mirror had greatly reduced visibility. I ended up swapping it out for a 31".

Is anyone else running a 33-in size diameter tire as a spare on the tubular tire carrier? Does it stick out past the body a ridiculous amount?

I've done it for years. I extended the carrier 3" inward, to prevent the tire hooking up on trees. I can post a photo tomorrow.

I run a 33" spare on my tire carrier. It is a unicorn 9.5 wide and doesnt stick out much. A previous owner even added a spacer to push it out further to accommodate wider tires and it still looks alright.

I bent the original tire carrier significantly on my trail rig when the spare hooked a tree on a tight trail. So I extended it inboard 3" and no longer have a problem with it.

TireCarrier1.jpg

I just added 3" of 1" tube to the horizontals on the right (where the ty-wraps are on the upper piece).

TireCarrier2.jpg

The bottom cushion was just unbolted on the left, rotated 180, and a new bolt hole drilled. I also moved the latch 3" to the right.

TireCarrier3.jpg

What condition is your body in at the tire carrier mounting points?

I mention this because once you go above stock tire sizes the life of your body at the tire carrier mounting points is going to be seriously shortened. The factory body was not built to support the size and weight of over sized tires and wheels.

If you want to keep your body sheet metal in good shape seriously consider an aftermarket tire carrier which is better suited for larger and heavier tire/wheel combinations. Stay away from ones which attach to the tub sheet metal because eventually the sheet metal will fail.

You may think your solution is only short term but many times once it is put in place it will remain that way unit it fails and it will.

Food for thought, what is the price of a new tire carrier versus the cost of a new tub or sheet metal repair and paint.

I bent the original tire carrier significantly on my trail rig when the spare hooked a tree on a tight trail. So I extended it inboard 3" and no longer have a problem with it.

View attachment 2576399

I just added 3" of 1" tube to the horizontals on the right (where the ty-wraps are on the upper piece).

View attachment 2576403

The bottom cushion was just unbolted on the left, rotated 180, and a new bolt hole drilled. I also moved the latch 3" to the right.

View attachment 2576404
Thanks for the pics @spotcruiser. The rig in question is a restoration, she's going to be all factory with a few mods, such as 33's. At this point I am not into modified body parts. But thank you.

I mention this because once you go above stock tire sizes the life of your body at the tire carrier mounting points is going to be seriously shortened. The factory body was not built to support the size and weight of over sized tires and wheels.

If you want to keep your body sheet metal in good shape seriously consider an aftermarket tire carrier which is better suited for larger and heavier tire/wheel combinations. Stay away from ones which attach to the tub sheet metal because eventually the sheet metal will fail.

You may think your solution is only short term but many times once it is put in place it will remain that way unit it fails and it will.

Food for thought, what is the price of a new tire carrier versus the cost of a new tub or sheet metal repair and paint.

I couldn't agree more with you on the sheet metal aspect. I ended up building shims that keep the tire carrier from clamping down on the outside of the rear fender. When the tire carrier bolts are tightened it snugs itself against the backing plate, which is located on the inside the body, instead of the fender / paint on the outside. It's really hard to explain but it works very well.

I may just end up running a 31-in tire as a spare.

Bumping as my 70 doesn't have a spare carrier. Has anyone put this style (80+) on the older model, like a 1970?

I'd rather not spring for a CCOT bumper or the like and am open to exploring all alternatives.

it is easy to do with all the parts, drill some holes, I would add large backing plates on the inside of the tub
which rear barn door opens first? if the driver side, every time you want to open the rear you will need to open the spare tire

After putting a 33" tire on my spare carrier (1980 FJ40), and reading this thread, I got a bit concerned. The new spare is 21lbs heavier than the OEM spare.
20211009_170547[1].jpg
20211009_170623[1].jpg
Here are a couple of pics of the hinge bolts from the inside. The backing plates seem pretty stout (i.e., not just bare sheet metal)... does it look stock? Strong enough, or would anyone recommend further reinforcements? Will definitely stay away from trees on the drivers side!

Those backing plates are stock. Carrying a 33 is no problem. It'll hang beyond the side of the truck, so be careful on the trail. I bent one carrier by catching the spare tire on a tree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom