Factory Toyota "Alarm" Headaches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C6H12O6

SILVER Star
Threads
I've downloaded the RS3000 manuals from Slee's site, but I am unable to change any of the programming as outlined in the manual. I have the key fob remote shown in the manual, as well as the Toyota Security dash light, the alarm seems to work when you arm it and open a door, but whenever I try to hold down both buttons to enter programming mode, the alarm just goes into panic mode.

Any suggestions?

Not to be a smarta$$, but read the manual again. You have to do some magic with the key too.

-B-

Yeah, I read it carefully and again even more carefully, but all I get is a panic alarm when I hold both buttons down for the two seconds. I'm starting to wonder if I have the TVSS alarm with a RS3000 remote. Is that even possible? I mainly based my assumption about my alarm on the remote style, but maybe I need to dig around and find the alarm brain in the morning. After reading the TVSS manual off your website (thanks, BTW), the behavior of my alarm does seem more like the TVSS. I'll have to play with it more.

One clarifying question: does the RS3000 alarm have a seperate siren for the alarm, or does it simply honk the horn? My '95 only honks — no piezo/siren chirp.

Thanks for all the help,
Steve

Sounds more like the TVSS, as I ran into this problem of trying to program a remote for the wrong system. I have the newer RS3000 style remote, with the TVSS. Look under the drivers seat.. if the alarm unit is there and has about 3 switches (facing the back of the rig for me) on it and a sensitivity control I think you have the TVSS. All programming of the unit is done by the switches and to program the remote I think its a different procedure. I got the TVSS manual from Beowulf :) thanks
-Gary

Ok, everybody can go to bed now...

With flashlight in hand, I went out and located my TVSS alarm box under the seat and proceeded to flip the switch to give me an audible honk of the horn when my alarm arms/disarms. I'm sure my neighbors appreciate the honks at 11:00. Probably a little more than the successive panic alarms last night while trying to program my non-existent RS3000. :doh:

Thanks Gary and Beowulf!

Steve
F-ing New Guy

Not to hijack a thread, but my battery in the FOB has died three seperate times after I locked the vehicle. I have been out and about all times. So, in order to get in the 80, I have to use the insert the key into the door and unlock it, prompting the alarm to sound. And of course it will not start and I have to wait for the alarm to end.

Has this happened to anyone else? Fortunately, I have been over at friend's places where I can use their car to go to the store to get a new battery for the FOB. It's not like I am going to walkt around with a spare battery in my pocket, in case this scenario happens again. Has anyone come up with a solution/workaround? I suppose I could keep a little screwdriver and extra batteries in the truck...

thx,
jason

Jason,
If you're going through batteries that fast you might have a stuck button. Something is draining the FOB battery unusually fast.

I'll also suggest that you read the manual again. :D

When you unlock with the key the alarm will sound (bizarre behaviour but normal.) You can insert the key in the ignition and turn it on, off, on, off. That should disable the alarm.

-B-

C6H12O6 said:
One clarifying question: does the RS3000 alarm have a seperate siren for the alarm, or does it simply honk the horn? My '95 only honks — no piezo/siren chirp.

Horn. The piezo can be programmed to chirp on arming/disarming. My piezo didn't work when I bought the truck and I don't intend to fix it as they are annoying.

-B-

Beowulf said:
Horn. The piezo can be programmed to chirp on arming/disarming. My piezo didn't work when I bought the truck and I don't intend to fix it as they are annoying.

-B-

Bump on a old thread- BUT, where is this little piezo located at? I wish to turn it on and have programed the unit but still no chirp. I am assuming a previous owner removed or cut a wire for the piezo.

The piezo is wire tied to a harness under the bonnet, below the brake master cylinder, close to the driver side wheel well. It has a bright red center and is round in shape. I have a pic somewhere.

AlarmPiezo.jpg

-B-

Last edited:
Beowulf said:
The piezo is wire tied to a harness under the bonnet, below the brake master cylinder, close to the driver side wheel well. It has a bright red center and is round in shape. I have a pic somewhere.

AlarmPiezo.jpg

-B-

Got it and found it, thanks! I am suffering from Dead Piezo Syndrome. Time to visit Radio Shnack.

derrickbwg said:
ANy idea where it would be on a '96 LC? I don't have that harness in the same spot.

Derrick, it IS there, trust me. Look hard. (mine is a 96 as well). You do have the 3000 system don't you? If not, it may not be there. See posts above about the different systems.

You are correct sir. A flourescent light works wonders. I found it rather black with dirt.
Mine is not hitting a lick. Is there a way to test it or any ideas for a replacement?

Mine wasn't working either. It turned out that the wiring from the alarm was significantly smaller than the wire from the piezo and the larger splices weren't contacting the smaller wire. So I soldered the connection, works great since then.

derrickbwg said:
You are correct sir. A flourescent light works wonders. I found it rather black with dirt.
Mine is not hitting a lick. Is there a way to test it or any ideas for a replacement?

Yes. Easy test. I cut off the zip ties holding the piezo harness (theres quite a bit of length on it) and pulled back the wire cover towards the end of the wiring where it goes into the piezo. Red and Black wire. Poke a test light in the red and hit your key fob (if your piezo program is turned on). You should see little blips of light when hitting your remote.

This is what i just did hours ago and how I discovered the piezo was a peice O.
I went to Radio Shack, they have a grundle of Piezos there for cheap. (under $5). I bought one and hooked it up (to same black and red wires) and now mine works. But the piezo I got is weird. It sounds like a freakin duck. I may try another one or something, I dunno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom