Factory Spacers with Front Bumper & Winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The only reputable shop close to me is saying he doesn't want to install the OEM front spacers with a rhino front bumper and winch (around 200lbs)

I wanted to do this until I got a bp-51 setup a court years down the road. Should I take his advice and wait? I didn't happen to tell him the mm of the spacer so maybe he is thinking it's pretty thick.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Not sure why he won't install it. Procedurally, it's straightforward and easy. As an OEM part, it's validated to function without any compromises by Toyota. So is it a philosophical concern that he won't install it?

To @OregonLC s point, It won't do anything to help handling of the added front end weight. It will remove any front end droop at least which I think is your goal?

The droop and sloppy front end sway is my concern since my wife daily drives it. Maybe I should compromise and throw the winch on when I finally end up doing the suspension.

To @OregonLC s point, It won't do anything to help handling of the added front end weight. It will remove any front end droop at least which I think is your goal?
With the same spring rate and more weight on a forward moment arm brake dive will be increased as would the chance of bottoming out over obstacles.

Have no idea the shop, but if it's a 'reputable shop' I would assume that he's providing conservative (and good) counsel that you upgrade your springs as you're adding weight. Will it work with spacers? Absolutely. Just won't be the best solution.

Last edited:
I had the OEM spacer with a bumper and winch. Your mechanic is right, it's not enough. Don't waste your money - go to a heavier spring.
Would you recommend I wait entirely or just skip the winch for now and go with the bumper and spacers

I'd just wait if it were me. The braking nose dive is enough to cause you to s*** your pants if done at speed. The truck handles SO much better after going to a heavier spring.

Nothing more to contribute, but had to mention that @OregonLC and @ElJayBird avatars are like brothers from another mother.

How much of a pain is it to add the front strut spacer once the lift is already on? What needs to be done in order to add it? Should this be done at my local off-road shop or can Toyota service do it?

It’s basically the same procedure because you’ve got to pull the strut so you can access the 4 bolts at the top.

I had Toyota do mine while I was in for a routine service and it was way too expensive. I want to say that it was about $600 or so just for the spacer install and an oils change. I’d just do it myself if I had to do it over again.

OK...so, the Toyota spacer is not for aftermarket front bumpers. So, what exactly is the purpose of Toyota spacer????? Just for looks?

OK...so, the Toyota spacer is not for aftermarket front bumpers. So, what exactly is the purpose of Toyota spacer????? Just for looks?
Gets rid of the rake. Simplest way to look at it

What’s the quality difference
It’s basically the same procedure because you’ve got to pull the strut so you can access the 4 bolts at the top.

I had Toyota do mine while I was in for a routine service and it was way too expensive. I want to say that it was about $600 or so just for the spacer install and an oils change. I’d just do it myself if I had to do it over again.
I’ll just wait when I have the shocks rebuilt.

What’s the quality difference

I’ll just wait when I have the shocks rebuilt.

you have coilovers right? just give it a small crank of preload and save the time/energy/money.

you have coilovers right? just give it a small crank of preload and save the time/energy/money.
I’ll have the off-road shop take a look it and adjust when it’s having front lights installed.

Gets rid of the rake. Simplest way to look at it

but most of not all SUVs have the rake. So why did Toyota go out of their way to design this spacer on LC. 4runners/GX/Sequoia etc do not have this spacer Option.

I understand that spacers are not a solution to adding weight to the front (bumper, winch, etc) and they are really just meant to reduce the front end rake. The spacers do not affect the performance of the suspension. So if you add a bumper to the front and keep the OEM springs (which is my current situation), handing will be worse and so will the rake.

That said, the only downside I see to adding the spacers to the OEM struts is cost, time and effort. Adding the spacers will still improve the rake in the same way as they would w/o a heavy bumper. You would get better front tire clearance and look while parked but the suspension travel would still be the same. If you bottom out because the spring rate can't absorb the bump, it will be the same with or without the spacer. The spacer might prevent a wheel rub if you are running a larger than stock tire but that would be it.

So, unless there is something I'm not seeing here (and there certainly could be as I am no suspension expert), if you are staging your mods/upgrades and put the bumper on first, and you are willing to spend the money or take the time to install spacers to make your rig just look better until you can put the upgraded suspension on, then I don't see the harm.

Now if adding spacers to a LC with heavy front bumper and stock OEM suspension is somehow less safe than the same situation w/o the spacers, it shouldn't be done. Sacrificing safety for looks would be stupid. As I am really thinking about adding the spacers as an aesthetic improvement over what I currently have until I can pull the trigger on a BP-51 or something, I would appreciate any comments if my logic is flawed.

I just added front bumper and winch on OEM suspension. It has some noticeable rake. I ordered the BP-51 and need to set a date for the install which requires a road trip. Would it be worth getting the factory spacer installed with the BP-51 or fine without?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom