factory soft tops C-TYPE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

metalonmetal

Rebuilding
Threads
i was digging deep with some old landcruiser clippings and advertisements, and came across an article with different styles for the factory soft tops. i didn't know this before, but there are 3 styles, the standard style, b-style and c-style. the fact that i have a 77 fj40 with ambulance doors, the c-style caught my eye, it's described as 'canvas and steel centre swing-out gate' and it's literally got the ambulance doors, bottom half is metal and top half is soft top. everyone who knew about these different styles can laugh it up, but the reason for this post is i'd like to know if anyone's got this style soft top. if there are any pictures floating around i'd like to see them. i know eshan does soft tops, but i've only seen the standard soft top being made though. better yet, does anyone have a picture of the metal gate that surrounds the soft top ambulance doors?

softtopstyles.jpg

ehsan from Pakistan has and can make that style rear soft doors

metalonmetal said:
i was digging deep with some old landcruiser clippings and advertisements, and came across an article with different styles for the factory soft tops. i didn't know this before, but there are 3 styles, the standard style, b-style and c-style. the fact that i have a 77 fj40 with ambulance doors, the c-style caught my eye, it's described as 'canvas and steel centre swing-out gate' and it's literally got the ambulance doors, bottom half is metal and top half is soft top. everyone who knew about these different styles can laugh it up, but the reason for this post is i'd like to know if anyone's got this style soft top. if there are any pictures floating around i'd like to see them. i know eshan does soft tops, but i've only seen the standard soft top being made though. better yet, does anyone have a picture of the metal gate that surrounds the soft top ambulance doors?

There is no metal gate surrounding the ambulance doors. There is a tube outline which is shown pretty well in the photo above. The top material wraps around those tubes and is laced with cord through several grommets. The doors have a rubber edge seal that simply closes on the canvas of the top. There is a slight cloth raingutter fold in the top above the doors to keep water from running in at that location.

aaaah i want it! i think it looks wicked. landpimp, i'm not really surprised you have one, do you mind posting pics?

I think CruiserKen's soft top troopy has rear doors like that.

i'm guessing it's nearly impossible to get a hold of the ambulance door frames...

metalonmetal said:
i'm guessing it's nearly impossible to get a hold of the ambulance door frames...
that's why god made eshan ;)

I agree, those soft top amby doors are cool looking. I personally like the soft top type A & B. It's nice to be able to roll up the rear wind and stick your surfboard or whatever out the rear. Kind of tough to do that with amby doors.

SuperDuperCruizer said:
I agree, those soft top amby doors are cool looking. I personally like the soft top type A & B. It's nice to be able to roll up the rear wind and stick your surfboard or whatever out the rear. Kind of tough to do that with amby doors.
pull th top of the door off.

anybody here on the forum have a set of door frames that they could take detailed pictures for me? anybody attempt to fabricate their own?!

Yeah, I guess unbolting the hinges and sliding the top out wouldn't be too much more trouble... I'd still prefer to just roll up the rear & not have to worry about removing/storing anything extra. Guess it depends on what you consider convenient. Another thing I wonder about is the way the channel that supports the upper soft top half of the dutch doors are setup. For someone fabricating a set, I think you'd have to be carefull to have some way for the moisture to drain. Again, I think these doors look cool... they just seem like more trouble for very little functional gain over the more common type A & B setup.

ya i was thinking about that as well, i think if i were to go to the trouble of fabricating a similar setup that i wouldn't copy the oem setup but rather improve any areas that i felt were needed. making sure that water doesn't get in would be first and foremost. i think i'm gonna try and get a hold of a junk hardtop and see if i can make some front bows and maybe use the rear ambulance door area for something that'll work.

JohnnyC said:
why is it when ever somebody posts that advertisement pic ...nobody mentions the split windshield...that is the coolest thing you could ever have on a cruiser...eshan had some pics of one that he has.
<-----You mean a split windsheild like that ;) Several people have imported these ...

Tucker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom