1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Factory Service Manuals on CD-ROM

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by 98LXand99LC, Feb 26, 2004.

1. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

I see these on Ebay all the time, they are a lot cheaper than the paper manuals. What's the downside?

Seems all I have to do is print out the pages I need when I'm doing something, right?

2. syrinxstar

syrinxstar

They're not worth it. The Toyota FSM is a much better reference and the procedures are described better in the FSM.

3. mot

mot

I don't know what kind of deal the FSM CD-ROM in question has, but I am in the process of getting a Japanese one. Supposedly it covers all the 80 models, E-FJ80G、HZJ81V、S-HDJ81V、E-FZJ80G、KC-HZJ81V andKC-HDJ81V.

In it, it has total six manuals with 1835 pages. I felt relatively safe bidding on it (Yahoo auction Japan) because of the feedback he's received with the same CD-ROM from previous buyers.

I DID also consider getting the paper version, rather than CD, but it was really hard to come by as one cannot get it(them) new anymore.

Good luck!

mot

4. Scamper

Scamper

I have a paper manual for the LC, but I got the CD version for my Spyder (dealer said they couldn't get the manuals for me--I think that's BS, but the heck with them). I don't know if it's bootleg or not since it comes as a professionally made disk saying it's from Toyota, etc. Cost only $20 for the Repair Manual and Electrical Manual vs over $100 for the LC paper version Repair Manual only (back in '97). If it is the real deal, seems to me that the dealers must have some system on their computers that organize and provide lookup capabilities that does not come on the disk.

But cost is only one aspect and not the most important. The CD version consists of a large number of PDF files located in cryptically labeled directories on the CD. They're not organized the way the paper manual is, though it contains an exact copy of the paper manual. After a while, you can sort of figure out the secret code they used to label things with, but it's not easy unless you're used to reading Sandscript.

The README file on the disk says to use Acrobat Reader 6.0 or better, which has a function that allows you to search across a number of files in nested directories...you enter your search word(s) and it runs through all the files on the CD. That takes a fair amount of time and isn't the easiest way to find what your looking for.

What I finally did was to merge all the various pages/chapters into a handful of PDF files arranged as they would be in the paper manual, then printed them out two-sided. Ended up with a stack of paper about a foot high (two-sided too!). A real PITA, but now I have a paper version that's much easier to use, and the only way to browse. The real advantage is that I can either use my paper manual and not worry about gumming up a page (I can replace it), or just print out a page of what I need then toss it when done.

Would I do it again? Can't say for sure. The paper versions are clearly easier to use and find things in. Can't be replaced IMO by the CD alone. First choice would be the paper manual, but if you have the desire to, getting the CD and printing it out does have some advantages as noted above. If I stumbled across a similar version for my truck, I'd probably get it though...for $20 you can't go too wrong. You should probably check with Dan about the paper version.

Tom

5. Safado

Safado

[quote author=mot link=board=2;threadid=12164;start=msg111409#msg111409 date=1077853194]
    I don't know what kind of deal the FSM CD-ROM in question has, but I am in the process of getting a Japanese one. Supposedly it covers all the 80 models, E-FJ80G、HZJ81V、S-HDJ81V、E-FZJ80G、KC-HZJ81V andKC-HDJ81V.

In it, it has total six manuals with 1835 pages. I felt relatively safe bidding on it (Yahoo auction Japan) because of the feedback he's received with the same CD-ROM from previous buyers.

I DID also consider getting the paper version, rather than CD, but it was really hard to come by as one cannot get it(them) new anymore.

Good luck!

mot
    [/quote]

I got my 94 manual Brand Spankin New and that manual alone has got to have 1800 pages (haven't counted). Probably 4+ inches thick. Plus the satisfaction of feeding a crippled dog.

6. tabraha

tabraha Hello My Name is: TAD SILVER Star

[quote author=Safado link=board=2;threadid=12164;start=msg111765#msg111765 date=1077910744]
    Plus the satisfaction of feeding a crippled dog.
    [/quote]

:D

BTW, the cd's on the net can't hold a candle. I've got one that may as well be a coaster.

7. hleal

hleal

Let me know if I can get copy of Fj80 sevice manual ::)

8. Beowulf

Beowulf

hleal,

Welcome to the 80s section, but please understand that we are not mind readers.

Can you be more specific on your question?
    Are you looking for a source to buy the hard copy FSM?
    Are you asking someone to copy a CD?
    Are you asking for someone to copy the hard copy manual?
    Are you asking for a source to buy a CD?

-B-

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">