Factory Service Manual (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After I got my pig, I did enough reading on this board to realize that a factory service manual was an absolute must have. Problem was they are not easy to come by. Called Toyota and they were out of stock and they didn't know when they would be available. Anyway, I finally found a "body & chassis" for a 78 FJ55 at repairmanual.com for $47. Figured it would be better than nothing. Thought I was buying an old manual but it turned out to be a reasonably good reproduction. 406 pages and it seems to go back and cover the earlier vehicles as well. 3 speed, 4 speed, all drum brakes, infamous tailgate. I'm happy with it but then again I'm a Landcruiser rookie.

I'm not connected to the above website in any way. Just thought I would help steer anyone looking for a manual in the right direction since I know I was having a tough time finding one for what I thought was a reasonable price. I know this isn't as exciting as an old warehouse full of OEM fenders but it's all I've got for now.

SOR sells reprints for all the old manuals.

Yeah I'm a noob with my pig...and I've tried to get a legit service manual. SOR is really the only place I have found that seems to have em. I have not yet pulled the trigger on a purchase...price seems ridiculous. But I guess if they have the market cornered, they've got us.

Does anyone have a Haynes or Chilton manual that they use for their pigs, or are they crap? Should I not bother wasting my time getting those and get a Toyota one instead?

Haynes or Chiltons try to cover every model in one book. Not worth my time or money to have one of those. Go OEM and be done with it.

SOR does carry the manuals but I had an issue with the pricing. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against SOR but I'm not rich and need to stretch what I have. That's why I kept looking and I am very happy with what I got. The pictures and diagrams match what some of the members have posted here out of their FSM and it has answered everything I needed to know. It might not be an "official" copy but I have no problem with a reproduction if it gives me all of the same information at a better price. It's definitely superior to any of the Haynes or Chilton manuals I have seen. Like I said, I was simply trying to help anybody else out there who is on a budget like I am. :cheers:

I bought the Haynes...but like has been stated it covers 40's, 43's, 45's, 55's...and from 1968-1982...so...I'm sure its not terribly specific about much.

The Haynes and Chilton's manuals help, but you really want/need the Factory Service Manuals. They rock. I believe Man-a-Fre has manuals and reprints at a similar cost. Not sure who is cheaper- SOR or Man-a-Fre? I have also found a bunch of 'em scouring ebay over the years. They come up often but vary greatly in cost. Check it out.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom