factory roof rack differences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I must have been taking a nap, does anyone know when the factory roof racks went from 6 attach points to 4 on the roof, or is it an LX vs. TLC thing?

And, does is matter?

Many thanks in advance.

I think they went back to 6 in 2003. And then the LX's were 6 from 98-99 and then 2000+ went to 4.

AFAIK, the roof is the same on all 100 but there are several (4 or 5) different sets of mounting holes. The trim pieces are different too.

My 2004 had 6.....

my 00 has 4 mounts, but there are 4 different mounting positions on each side, totaling 8. The 4 unused ones are where the six mount rack goes, both racks share the rear mounting positions.

Yup, also note, the 4 footed LX rack is shorter than the 4 footed LC rack. Excuse the wheels. I believe Lexus went from the longer 6 to the shorter 4 in an effort to reduce wind noise.
lexus6.jpg
detata_profiler_toyota_landcruiser_1.jpg

my 00 has 4 mounts, but there are 4 different mounting positions on each side, totaling 8. The 4 unused ones are where the six mount rack goes, both racks share the rear mounting positions.

Interesting, my double aught has six connection points.

Yup, also note, the 4 footed LX rack is shorter than the 4 footed LC rack. Excuse the wheels. I believe Lexus went from the longer 6 to the shorter 4 in an effort to reduce wind noise.

I mean it had 6, not 4.... lol

Still has 6 ! :D

What do you mean "had"?

That was weird...... I quoted Spresso's post, and it quoted somebody else!!!

Yeah I still have my cruiser. Gas prices don't make me sell out !!

FTF !!

I gotta tell you guys, speaking of Roof Racks I am really enjoying my Inti Roof Rack I installed. I have been using it quite a bit around the house. Recently I have been tearing out the 30 year old kitchen cabinets etc and hauling the scrap away on the rack. Can't recommend getting a 'real' rack enough.
:cheers:

6 on the 00.

Reviving an old thread...

Boiled down, do I correctly understand that I could put any 6 mount rack from 1998-2000 OR 2003+ on my 2001 which came with 4 mount points?

I'm looking to upgrade for strength. If I found a used 6 mount rack, I would want to keep my old crossbars, running a total of 4 for extra strength. Do all generations of the rack have the same crossbar width? I think I remember a post where someone found crossbars of a different width, but I can't find it.

Thanks!

Pull your existing rack and then remove the plastic strips over the 'gutter.' Count and measure the distances between mounting holes. Ideally, you would replace the gutter covers with the 6 footed rack cover but you could probably modify/cut yours to accommodate. Toyota also carries little rectangle covers when one removes the rack.

AFAIK, not all OE rack have the same crossbar width but there aren't that many width variations either.

I'm in need of a trim piece. I'm hoping someone might have an old one lying around...or else someone else might be able to help me locate the actual part #. This is the little cosmetic trim piece that covers the "leg" where the factory rack attaches to the roof at the front, on the passenger side.

I have located the same part for a 2004-2007, here: Cover - Toyota (63491-60080)

However, every parts site I have found only lists this trim piece for 2003 or 2004 to 2007. I cannot find factory "luggage carrier" components for years 2000 to 2003.

Advice welcome on:
1. whether the 2004+ trim piece might just fit on the year 2000 roof rack
2. if not, if you have any direction of where to find this OEM part or at least part #?

Of course, if someone has a year 2000 to 2002 roof rack lying around, I would be happy to buy this trim piece off of you. We are moving from CA to a snowier region, and I want to put caulk/seal under these covers and then cover them up good before we get into the snow. For some reason, this one cover has always been missing on our 100 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom