Factory roof rack bolt(s) seized/ stripped/ rusted help...anyone else have this problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mud. I've been out of cruisers for about 10 years (previous was a built up 60) and recently jumped back in with a 98' LX 470. The thing is in awesome condition, both inside and out and looks like its been babied its whole life. Even the driver's leather seat is flawless and all the fake wood trim looks brand new, no yellowing or anything. Everything works like it should, even the automatic telescoping steering wheel does its thing every time the key is in and out. I picked it up with 173k miles on the clock and its been a southern california car its whole life so rust free..... or so I thought.

Long story short, bought a prinsu roof rack recently and started to take off the factory roof rack. All went fine until I got to the center bolts. One bolt on each side is rusted out and there is no tork head to unscrew with. Bad design I think on toyota's part, we had some recent rain finally and the rear bolts in the middle rack pillar were soaked because that pillar design is like a little cup that holds water, hence the bolt being rusted out... on both sides.

Very hard bolts, broke a couple drill bits, even cobalt bits won't bite into the bolt. I stopped by a body shop just to have them have a peak and maybe extract them, however they are concerned with any drilling and etc heating up the bolt and eventually catching the headliner (especially the foam portion) on fire. I never even thought about the potential for the foam catching fire so now I'm really in a jam with what to do. They say the headliner should be pulled back at a minimum to insure no fire happens.... to top it off, they aren't even really sure they want to tackle the job due to the potential and unknown of what else might happen.

Anyone else have this issue??? I'm at a loss right now because it's in such an awkward location and the headliner potential fire also has me concerned. One thought I have is to just cut away/ out the middle pillar and clean up the bolt head and then silicone the crap out of it and leave them where they sit and only use ONE middle bolt on each side (seems like the bolts are still water tight because when I was removing the rack, I had to stick rags inside the pillar to soak up the standing water, so I'm pretty sure the rust is just on the top of the bolt, and not leaking down into the threads). I figure with the front and rear mounts being fine, having only one bolt in the middle on each side should still be plenty of support and hold for the rack and anything I put up there....right??? Anyway, any additional insight is appreciated.

Pic of the offending vehicle included

100cruise.jpg

Man I had the exact same issue, bought a prinsu rack, went to take off the factory rack and middle bolts rusted on both sides, and the top of the bolts had nothing to bite into. I feel your pain. Looks like water had been in there for years, and mine still had water in them.

Here's what i did. Get a drill bit, maybe 3/8" inch, or a dremel, TAKE IT SLOW AND EASY, AS YOU CAN SLIP AND DRILL THROUGH YOUR ROOF. Drill or dremel around the bolt head, what you are doing is getting the rack to lift off around the bolt. Do a little at a time, and pull on the rack each time you stop to check progress until you get the roof rack to lift off.

Then take a pair of vice grips, and lock onto the bolt head, as you'll have plenty of room now to turn the bolt free

I had a few rust out. Used a drill bit to get some fresh metal and then hammered in a torch bit and with a socket it worked. I think they were simple Milwaukee titanium drill bits.

I’m sure that there’s more than one thread on the subject, but here’s one example of a previous thread:

Man I had the exact same issue, bought a prinsu rack, went to take off the factory rack and middle bolts rusted on both sides, and the top of the bolts had nothing to bite into. I feel your pain. Looks like water had been in there for years, and mine still had water in them.
That is exactly what I was dealing with, definitely water getting inside the middle roof rack pillar for years degraded the bolt heads.

Well I'm happy, no, make that ecstatic to report that I got the bolts out today and the new roof rack properly installed....finally!!!

I think it was a combination of things that finally allowed me to get them removed. The bolts were soaked with PB blaster for at least 6 days, I took a break and left them alone for a while and let my head (and anger) clear, and also the responses to this post/ request also help to give me renewed energy and hope.

After reading through the responses this morning, I had renewed hope and once again started working on them. One came out with a simple hammer and screwdriver tap out method. I didn't even have to drill or notch out the bolt, the screwdriver got just enough bite and with a couple of easy taps I started seeing the bolt loosing out. Kept working it and within a couple of minutes I was able to grab it and twist it out with my fingers.

The other one was seriously rusted/ degraded and wasn't moving using the same screwdriver "tap out" technique. I was kind of stumped for a while, but then decided to chisel away at the bolt head so I could eventually pop the pillar foot off and over the bolt (again, this bolt was seriously rusted so it wasn't too difficult to do). With the rack pillar off the bolt was just high enough to get vise grips on and twist without scratching the roof. However, no vice grips were needed....amazingly. The bolt was actually loose enough that just plain ole regular pliers twisted it right out! Simple, and honestly I was shocked how easy both were to remove.

I think the biggest help was the fact that I just soaked the bolts for so long. I just soaked them inside the roof rack pillar for days... just like the water that had soaked them for years, I just filled up the pillar with a bit of PB blaster and walked away. Anyway, that's what I think made the biggest difference.

A huge thanks to everyone that responded to my post!!! It gave me good ideas and other things to try that I hadn't thought of, but most importantly it made me realize that I wasn't the only one with this ridiculous situation and gave me renewed energy to start messing with them again and get those damn bolts out. Thanks again.

This is a little off topic, but is there a way to seal the roof rack from leaking water without removing? I have a 2000 LX 470. Also, the plastic trim around the base of my roof racks is so weathered that it just crumbles if I touch it. Are replacements available? I can't seem to find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom