Factory Rear Locker Axle Vs. Non-Locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LFD2037

TEXAS LEXUS!
Threads
I read the factory e-locker rear axle is an 8" and the non-locker is an 8.4". Is this true? If so, is the 8.4" significantly stronger? I've been trying to find a white or silver 2002-04 Tacoma DC 4WD TRD so I get the e-locker but with low miles and decent condition it's proving quite difficult.
Is it better to get the non TRD with the 8.4" Axle and add an ARB ($1,100 installed) or am I better off, money wise, getting a TRD with e-locker?

I'm no expert but since no one has answered...

I believe you are correct on the approximate diameters of the ring gears. But 0.4" difference in diameter doesn't necessarily indicate a strength difference. Lots more to it than that.

I believe the factory e-lockers are pretty robust but they do break in hard use. Without a doubt the ARB properly set up is stronger. What is your intended use/abuse (do you need the strength of the ARB?)

In an nutshell if you're going to pony up an extra $1,000 or more to get a TRD just for the e-locker then buy a rig with an open diff and add ARB. But then you need air ($200-$500.) Tho the TRD might have other goodies that you want but you will pay the TRD premium.

And for what's it's worth I'm putting Eaton Tru-Trac front and rear in my 2003 Taco for the cost of one ARB (talking locker cost only - obviously lots of labor in putting a locker up front.)

Harrop makes a Elocker for Toyota Tacoma rear with shim type differential. I'm not sure if the first gens are shimmed or not.
Can't say more as locker are still on the to-do list for me.

We have been importing and distributing Harrop/Eaton elockers in US since 2015. We also led development of a version for the US axle 8.4" (not sold outside of North America). We have sold over 400 so far with no failures.

As we understand it, the relative strength of 8 vs. 8.4 inch diffs are a subject of much debate/discussion, especially amongst the heavily built GX470 crowd. We don't have an opinion either way. Toyota went from 8" to 8.4" in Tacomas and 8.2" in later FJC and the gX460 - perhaps for marketing, perhaps for strength... The 8" is still used in HiLux pick ups and other Toyotas like the front axle of current 70 Series.

We stock the complete kit with 8.4" Harrop and install kit (carrier bearings and gasket) for $1,395. Shoot an email to info@cruiserbrothers.com and we will comp the UPS to US addresses. (Note: Website description says install kit not included - disregard, needs update) :)

A13457 Harrop ELocker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom