Factory Rack and RTT? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First of all I'm a total newbie. Have had my 80 for 3 days. Love it! Went off road last night for the first time with it and the thing is a beast...a dog on the interstate, but a beast on the trail.

Now to the question...

So, I have read a lot on here that the factory rack isn't strong enough for a RTT. However, it seems that the full weight of the then would be on the feet of the rack and not on the crossbars. Obviously the crossbars would have to be clamped to the tent, but would it still not work.

I wouldn't trust the factory rack with a RTT.

Probably not so much the weight of the RTT...nor the combined weight of the RTT and the occupants either (even though the total weight would be outside the weight limits of the factory rack). I don't think the crossbars would that the RTT would be clamped to would be able to stand up to the stress of the RTT during travel. There's issue of 70 mph wind force pushing against the RTT.

Get a Yakima or Thule rack. They're not all that expensive for the crossbars and they'll be MUCH sturdier than the 14 year old (at least), most likely rusted under the feet, factory rack.

Factory rack + large things on it = bad idea
The factory rack is probably one of the worst I have seen on any vehicle

No for sure. If you are looking for a cheaper way to mount it securely, search the user "Groucho" here on the board. He makes a great gutter clamp and crossbar setup for our 80's that work great for RTT's and things like that. Very well made and reasonably priced.

When I removed the rack on my truck, the nutserts holding it to the roof popped out so easily, it made me breath a sigh of relief that I never mounted anything to it and drove down the road. Get something that mounts to the gutters and take your stocker off while you are at it. It was the only place that I have found rust on my 80 FYI.

No for sure. If you are looking for a cheaper way to mount it securely, search the user "Groucho" here on the board. He makes a great gutter clamp and crossbar setup for our 80's that work great for RTT's and things like that. Very well made and reasonably priced.

I've been off-site for several months...I totally forgot about Groucho and his gutter clamps/crossbars.

I have a set of his gutter clamps in my garage. Very beefy product. I recommend his stuff. And yes, his prices are very fair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom