Factory lockers problem/questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, my first post!

I'm in the process of buying a '92 JDM HDJ80 with factory lockers however they don't seem to be engaging. When you turn the dial and select either rear only or front and rear the red lights on the dash flash (they don't stop flashing) and you can hear a relay click under the passanger side dash, however they don't appear to actually engage.

I would've thought that you would get axle bind when driving with them on? (and thus know for sure they are working) Being in low range or first gear (it's an auto) doesn't seem to make any difference.

Help!!

Thanks, Sam

the elec lockers take a bit of them to engage.
i was playing around with mine today to get a handle on the operation.

i found if you just turn the dial to RR locker it seems to take forever for the bugger to engage.
then i tried the center lock with the RR and it made the engagement a bit wuicker still way too long.
i tried center lock RR and FF and the same problem.

i tried going ahead and backing up with no change.

as soon as i wnet into low range is was just a couple seconds and the rear clicked in and a couple more the front did also.

the front on all three trucks take longer than the rear to engage.

being in Neutral helps a bit for the rear. moving ahead and back speeds up the engagement a bit. ust driving straight ahead seems to take forever.

what did this teach me? engage the elec locker long before you need it. don't wait till you are headlight deep in mud to turn the dial.

you can sure tell when they engage, the rear really tightens everything up and once hte front engages it is a real bear to turn the wheel more than a few inches...

you are going to love your truck, congrates.
what part of NZ are you from?
cheers

Cool thanks Crushers, so do the dash lights stop flashing when they do engage?

I'm in Wellington, bottom of the North Island :)

It also appears to have a factory winch (has toyota stickers on it and the controller comes in a bag like the tool kit with Toyota and "Winch controller" on it) Are these winchs any good??

Thanks again.

yes, once engaged they stop flashing.

if the winch is anything like the rest of the truck it will be great but my winch equiped 81 doesn't arrive till sept so i can't say anything factual till then...
are you on the NZ mailing list?
cheers

SamB said:
I'm in the process of buying a '92 JDM HDJ80 with factory lockers however they don't seem to be engaging. When you turn the dial and select either rear only or front and rear the red lights on the dash flash (they don't stop flashing) and you can hear a relay click under the passanger side dash, however they don't appear to actually engage.

Don't forget you may need some differentiation (is that a word?) so the collar and axle splines line up...

gb

Still no luck, I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow to "negotiate" a deal so at least it's a bargining point!!

I have heard the actuators can freeze up with a lack of use??

Where abouts is the New Zealand mailing list?

Sam :)

For my 1996 80 series - it will only diff lock in low, and if the tires are on a pretty slick surface, the rears will lock up first almost always, then the front will engage when everything is aligned.

Are you on a slick muddy surface with little traction, that would be the best to engage them?

Also, alot of the actuators seize up from not being used. The guys in teh 80 section take the actuator off and lube them up - you can try asking there.

Regards

you need to rotate the tires till the 2 big teeth are aligned. on the 80 series i have now the front seems to be able to "click" in first.

Ishobie,
did you get your trucks yet?
cheers

I also have similar symptoms.

Front locks in 2-3 seconds. Rear can take forever. What I do is to first lock the rear and then make some turns (not to much) which will allow the splines to line up for the actuator to engadge.

Regarding the problem in the first post, check if the wires are connected to the actuator.

Wayne, not yet, will probably be another 3 weeks or so before they make it to my door.

I'll post pics when i get them.

REgards

darn, i thought they were on the same boat as my Blizzard...
waiting makes the fruit that much sweeter...
cheers

it is sitting at the trucking depot as we speak, it was to be here last friday, then yesterday, now maybe today...

Mine are in port, just waiting to get them on a train and to my door. I think i bought one the end of may and one mid june, so not too bad for timing all things considered. I expect the longest part will be the shipping across canada.

7 days with Hansens... when i ship with them that is how long it takes from Vancouver to Ontario...
cheers

no kidding, ok then that is awsome, just waiting for the call from the broker for the vehicles to be released - should be any day now.

thanks for the info.

crushers said:
why 4 L? on the crusiers you can engage the in H range...

Taco thing afaik. One of the guys in our club discovered this a short while ago. There is an orveride fix on a Taco list somewhere in etherland.

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom