Factory lockers compared to ARB, pros/cons? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

offroadkid

GOLD Star
Threads
I did a search for ARB lockers, and found nothing. I've been on the hunt for my 97 LC or LX 450, but am getting alot of, "No, I'm sorry, but it doesn't have that switch!" :p

I was thinking, what if I buy a nice low miles clean rig, then just install some ARB's. Or is it better to search longer and get the factory ones? Anyone have some helpful input? Thanks in advance.

Joshua,
Check with Christo on the cost and installation of a set of front and rear ARB's. If you can find a truck in your price range with the additional ARB cost then go for it. There are definite advantages to the ARB route; you get OBA and they engage very quickly compared to the 3 seconds or so for the OEM lockers. (Read up on the dog clutch alignment for an explanation.) Another reason to go with ARB's is if you are regearing at the same time. Do it all at once and you'll save labor costs.

I would recommend that you keep looking for one with factory lockers if you have the patience and if you don't plan to regear any time soon. They're out there and you will eventually find what you are looking for.

-B-

What B forgets (he's remember, like 110 years :flipoff2:) to mention is that the ARB's are an inferior product to the OEM lockers.

Yes, this from someone with the ARB lockers. Keep searching and you'll find what you want. You must search smart and often though. Infrequent and ebay are not going to get you what you want.

Thanks guys!! I will continue to search, (I've been on line all weekend long looking over and over again!!) When I stopped by the bank today, I saw a LC and walked up to it to peek inside and DOH!! it had factory lockers, but not for sale!!! Again, thanks, and I'll keep looking!!

Maybe I'm the only one, but I like the ARB's. I've used them the last 3 seasons on my FJ40, and last year in the 80. They engage quickly, disengage quickly, and the only problem was that I burned through one of the air lines in an electrical fire last year in the 40. Even that could be fixed in an hour. So if you find the right truck without lockers, the ARB's are a good alternative. The OEM's have problems as well-they get slow, gunked up with mud and the like. If you go ARB's just make sure you get an experienced install.

By the way: I'm glad no one said that "you'll get the OEM lockers for free", because in most cases I'm seeing, that ain't true.
Now, this is mostly anecdotal evidence, HOWEVER I did do a little statistics on eBay sales, and for the past 6 months, FZJ-80s with lockers sold for a whopping $1800 more than those without! Some caveats: in many cases I couldn't tell whether it had lockers or not, so I excluded those. In some cases they didn't say, but I could tell by the photos that they did or didn't so I included those appropriately. And, in cases where they said they did (or did not) have it, but there was not photo evidence, I accepted their word.
I've also noticed, when I called people with FZJ80's for sale, that the ones that had lockers sold much more quickly (and hence, in general, for a higher price), than those that didn't.
As time goes on, I think this will become more and more true, and therefore the ARB decision will become easier and easier to make. That is, the cost of adding ARBs won't be much more than the additional cost of finding one with OEM lockers. Of course, with OEMs the chance always remains that you'll find a little old lady who doesn't know what the switch means and so you get it 'for free'. But as I mentioned, often even if they are ignorant, they soon figure it out by the questions they get asked when called.

My two cents,
Kenton

Kenton, that backs up something I said a few months back but I based my statement on a general idea. I don't think that $1800 is a whopping amount for that feature. I bought my truck almost 4 years ago and they were free back then :D. Anyway, I'd stick to the factory system search as long as you can before going with the ARBs.

They're out there, or at least something similar, check this out. Here's the disclaimers: Not sure if it's still there, not a 97, not close to you...but it does have lockers, and you can ship cars...

http://www.cars.com/search/used/cc/standard/results/single/ld/detail.jhtml?paId=130377605&aff=national&src=&cid=null

Cardinal 87 FJ60

Keep in mind that retrofitting would not be the easiest given the non-locker housing is not the same as the lockered one. grinding, tapping, and building up a housing is a little work.

If you find a part truck swap the whole axle :beer:

Cardinal, you have to be very careful about this. I am fairly certain that they mean locking CENTER differential, which is standard on all of these vehicles, and does not mean they have the locking FRONT and REAR differentials.
In my eBay analysis, I saw this a few times, and in one case the photo proved it did not have the optional lockers, and in the other cases I couldn't tell, so I excluded them.

Good Call! I'm not as familiar with the 80's as I probably should be - thanks for the heads-up. :)

CardinalFJ60

If the ARBs are an inferior product, what's the recommendation for gears and lockers ? I've got a 97 and am thinking about 4:88s.

and guys -again- please be circumspect when you talk to sellers about the lockers, OK! No gushing about how desirable these things are. Think about those of us still looking. I always ask sort of in passing in the middle of the conversation so as not to spoil a good situation... :D
thanks
Eric

Where do you live and what is your criteria? Mileage, how much you can spend etc. I believe you will find a truck with lockers if you are patient - If you can, look for them in areas (like CA - Los Angeles) where people bot them for the name etc and never had intentions of really using them as opposed to areas where people really appreciate a capable off road vehicle. There is a lexus 96 115k miles all service records , xlnt cond (according to add) for 14,900 $ - the car is on the CA central coast #805 331-0900 some guy named Scott - good luck.

>> If the ARBs are an inferior product, what's the recommendation for gears and lockers ? <<

The ARB lockers are not an inferior product. Some people have had problems and have expressed their opinion of the company's service and their product. Many others have had good success with the ARB lockers. "Bad news travels like wildfire, good news travels slow."

Many of us (me included) still recommend the OEM electric lockers over aftermarket. But that's my personal preference and since I've never had ARB's, it's just that... a personal preference.

>> I've got a 97 and am thinking about 4:88s. <<

Gearing depends on your vehicle's accessories, your tyres, and how you plan to use the truck. As a guide, 4.56 gears will return a truck with 35" tyres to "stock" performance, odometer, speedometer, etc.

-B-

>> ... please be circumspect ... <<

I was circumspected as a baby. Do I need it again?

-B-

I have 35s or 315s and 4.88s. Wouldn't have it any other way. However you'll need something like a truespeed recalibrator to correct the odometer and tranny shift points. And the spare will reside on the roof rack or in the cargo hold until a new rear bumper tire carrier is procured.

evidently, BW, evidently...

E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom