Factory locker vs aftermarket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, at the risk of being shamed (again) for daring to ask about something which may have been asked previously, I’m having trouble finding harrop for front and rear in the US. Most I see are for later model 80’s with FF.
If you feel shamed on Mud then you need to let your skin thicken up. Have you gone to other automotive forums in the off-road world? Mud is consistently complimented by new comers as the friendliest and most helpful car forum they have ever been on.

If you want accurate answers to your locker question, call Georg and the gang at Valley Hybrids (Cruiser Brothers) in Stockton, CA. They can set you straight.

Last edited:
I can't imagine they don't make them for the semi float 9.5 seeing how that basic setup was used for like 40+ years in all kinda different cruisers.

I can't imagine they don't make them for the semi float 9.5 seeing how that basic setup was used for like 40+ years in all kinda different cruisers.
Dude..I don’t know. It’s the only kind on their webpage and what they told me in another post

Putting them on a toggle switch on my fj140 build. Have you put the CDL on a toggle? If so, I may ping you to chat. Want my build to be triple locked.
Just get a stand alone harness,a few companies make them just Google it.
You can skip the ECU and all the OEM wiring.
It also allows you to use just the front or the rear locker.

Dude..I don’t know. It’s the only kind on their webpage and what they told me in another post
Get the locked axles and ditch the semi float.

@Broski what he said…or just make your own harness. Very simple. I like the ability to switch to EITHER front or rear locker.

And you can manually lock an elocker with a 9v battery or a few AAs in series. :meh:
Not it the actuator is not working. Point is the only locker you can manually lock and unlock is the OEM E locker.

Putting them on a toggle switch on my fj140 build. Have you put the CDL on a toggle? If so, I may ping you to chat. Want my build to be triple locked.
CD are you going to run a full time transfer case on this build ?

I did the Eaton E lockers from @orangefj45 If you want Eatons he is the one to talk to.

And, yes, they are only available for Full Float rear axle. I am doing a rear axle swap in my 40 to a 60 FF axle. I put the front in last year and and getting the rear done this winter. The lockers are awesome!! They engage and disengage immediately. I had a lunchbox locker in the rear and I did not like it. I like being able to select when I want it on. Just my .02 HTH.

Not it the actuator is not working. Point is the only locker you can manually lock and unlock is the OEM E locker.
There is no actuator. It's a coiled wire around a bit of metal. Unless you've ripped one of the wires clean out of the diff housing and have nothing to clamp on to, you can still get it to work. It's far simpler connecting + and - to a battery than messing around with the OEM lockers.

There is no actuator. It's a coiled wire around a bit of metal. Unless you've ripped one of the wires clean out of the diff housing and have nothing to clamp on to, you can still get it to work. It's far simpler connecting + and - to a battery than messing around with the OEM lockers.
Gotcha you must be talking a Eaton E- locker then. what happens when power is removed will the Eaton stay locked or does it default back to open ?
I'm pretty sure it will default back to open as soon as power is removed, please enlighten us ;)

A Toyota E locker can manually be locked with out power and will stay locked to get you off the trail ! :cool: just remove a few bolts and slide the collar over 🤷‍♂️

Also I would be interested to see how the Eaton hold up after 25-30 years and hundreds of thousands of miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom