Factory Locker Problem: Front Not Engaging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have read some posts with people having issues with the front and or rear locker but my situation seems to be some the same but different.

When engaging FR the locker will not engage and only the dash light flashes.

When I go to FR-RR, I can the solenoid on the passenger side of the cab click and the rear will now lock. However, no matter what I do the front won't lock.

From what I read, I should hear a click when going to FR only?

Should I start my search on the electrical side and just assume they switch itself is junk?

Thanks for helping a noobie.

Unless you do some modifications to the wiring, the front wont lock unless you lock the rear first. You cant lock the front by itself.

Unless you do some modifications to the wiring, the front wont lock unless you lock the rear first. You cant lock the front by itself.

Correction the front can't be switched on without switching on the rear first.

After they are both switched on, its moot whether the rear locks or not. The front may actually lock before the rear if both are working fine

What is happening is the rear will only lock in when I go to lock both the front and rear. So I know the actuator for the rear works but it will not lock under the rear only switch position.

When I go to lock front and rear it will immediately lock but the front continues to flash.

When you move the switch to the RR position does the light flash for the rear?

For the rear to engage the wheels have to spin at different speeds so it can take varying amounts of time to engage. Frequently I can turn the switch to the RR position, the rear flashes but does not lock up right away (common), then realize I need both on and move it to FR-RR and then the rear will lock up. I don't think its an issue, I think that the conditions on wheel spin finally met up with what the locker needed. Mine will lock up in just the RR position too though, sometimes fast, sometimes slow.

I never hear a click when mine engages, only when disengaging.

My front on the other hand does not work at all, it used to work if I pulled it from the truck and connected direct to the battery but now even that has stopped. Time for a new motor I think.

When you move the switch to the RR position does the light flash for the rear?

For the rear to engage the wheels have to spin at different speeds so it can take varying amounts of time to engage. Frequently I can turn the switch to the RR position, the rear flashes but does not lock up right away (common), then realize I need both on and move it to FR-RR and then the rear will lock up. I don't think its an issue, I think that the conditions on wheel spin finally met up with what the locker needed. Mine will lock up in just the RR position too though, sometimes fast, sometimes slow.

I never hear a click when mine engages, only when disengaging.

My front on the other hand does not work at all, it used to work if I pulled it from the truck and connected direct to the battery but now even that has stopped. Time for a new motor I think.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I will spend more time and on better conditions to test it out in RR. It does flash but didn't engage but somehow as soon as I go RR-FR it locks in.

Still haven't got the front to lock but the bus is new to me so gonna try to "exercise" it some more before I start pulling parts.

I cooked a CDL actuator. Worked on the bench, but wouldn't work under load in the car.
I accidentally fried a couple of circuits in the motor windings, and the motor would rotate, but had no torque

Awesome, thanks for the info. I will spend more time and on better conditions to test it out in RR. It does flash but didn't engage but somehow as soon as I go RR-FR it locks in.

Still haven't got the front to lock but the bus is new to me so gonna try to "exercise" it some more before I start pulling parts.

Take it to somewhere where there's a decent open space, preferably gravel. Or it in low, turn the diff lock switch to FR-RR and drive in a slow figure 8.
This should see both front and rear lock up without fail.

You can do this on a paved carpark if you can't find a gravel area, but proceed slowly as the high traction of tires on tarmac will mean wheels won't slip and you'll bind up the driveline.
No issue if done slowly for the purpose of testing. These vehicles get put through much worse when wheeling.

Take it to somewhere where there's a decent open space, preferably gravel. Or it in low, turn the diff lock switch to FR-RR and drive in a slow figure 8.
This should see both front and rear lock up without fail.

You can do this on a paved carpark if you can't find a gravel area, but proceed slowly as the high traction of tires on tarmac will mean wheels won't slip and you'll bind up the driveline.
No issue if done slowly for the purpose of testing. These vehicles get put through much worse when wheeling.
Great info I have a place in mind. The trouble I might be having is space. I am actually in Japan so my neighborhood is super tight so I was really only able to go forward and back. I'll try the figure 8 and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom