Factory locker order of operations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
80 in question is a 94. Main question is will the front locker actuate without the rear?

This is in 4L of course. First turn of the dial and the locker light just blinks. Second turn the locker light turns on and goes solid.
Can the rear lock but the light keep blinking? If so what is a common cause

I haven't gotten it in dirt yet to try and get it to actuate/light stay on but you can definitely tell the front turns on.

the front locker works independent of the rear, meaning technically if the dial is in the front/rear ( second) position then the front can lock if the rear is unable to.

if the rear is blinking a signal was sent but, the sensor hasn't reported the actuator reaching locked position. if it is locked and blinking i would take the sensor out and clean the contacts verify there are not broken wires. the transfer case/front/rear lockers share the same sensor.

1684536566580.png

80 in question is a 94. Main question is will the front locker actuate without the rear?

This is in 4L of course. First turn of the dial and the locker light just blinks. Second turn the locker light turns on and goes solid.
Can the rear lock but the light keep blinking? If so what is a common cause

I haven't gotten it in dirt yet to try and get it to actuate/light stay on but you can definitely tell the front turns on.
Good news is it sounds like your cdl is working perfectly.

The switch can't be turned to activate only the front.
Once the front locker has been selected, it will lock regardless of the rear having locked or not.

The locking mechanism in the rear has six large teeth that need to line up before it will engage. This means that often the rear won't lock immediately until there's enough wheel slip to allow them to line up.

I found the front almost always locked faster than the rear.

Easiest way to test is find an open space, select low, turn the dial, drive slowly in a figure 8. Lockers should lock pretty quick in this scenario.

To be clear there are three separate locker lights in the dash.(3×locked)
When you shift into low the center diff light should blink tell the center diff locks and then that light should go solid. That light need to be solid before the front or rear locker will lock.
Once you have a solid center diff lock light then you can turn the magic dial,if you turn to rear you should have another blinking light if you turn it to front and rear the you should see two more blinking lights until they lock.
Like others have said the front will most away lock first and it's light will have one of it's set of wheels turned so that you know its the front locker.

To be clear there are three separate locker lights in the dash.(3×locked)
When you shift into low the center diff light should blink tell the center diff locks and then that light should go solid. That light need to be solid before the front or rear locker will lock.
Once you have a solid center diff lock light then you can turn the magic dial,if you turn to rear you should have another blinking light if you turn it to front and rear the you should see two more blinking lights until they lock.
Like others have said the front will most away lock first and it's light will have one of it's set of wheels turned so that you know its the front locker.
There is no blink mode for the CDL light, but you may see it flicker before it goes solid, which may be an indicator that it's time to replace the position switch. This was how mine behaved before it finally failed.

There is no blink mode for the CDL light, but you may see it flicker before it goes solid, which may be an indicator that it's time to replace the position switch. This was how mine behaved before it finally failed.
Your right I stand corrected

I was able to take it out and test further.

The rear definitely locks but the light keeps blinking. Front locks as mentioned earlier and light is solid.

So need to trouble shoot a blinking light while the rear is locked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom