Factory jacking points (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
jackingpoints.png

Any thoughts on why Toyota recommends lifting the vehicle by the frame on the front end, while using the axle for the rear? When using a floor jack, it seems to me like you would have more stability and spread the weight of the jacking point better on the frame than on the smaller footprint of the axle.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the jack in there truck is for emergency use only. Jacking the axle lifts the entire truck, so is desirable when trying to get the wheels off the ground. Mr. T doesn't want you to list on the front suspension because the IFS isn't designed to support point loads like a jack.

Yeah, I know the IFS isn't designed to be jacked, I'm more wondering if there is any reason not to lift on the frame rail closest to the rear axle, similar to the recommended position for the front, which would be a flatter, wider, and more stable surface. The pad on my 4 ton jack puts the weight on a very small portion of the rear axle.

Last edited:
You can lift the rear from the frame. Back when I had a 4Runner, I always lifted the rear by putting my floor jack under the rear diff — that way I had both rear tires in the air, which made it easier to swap on my snow tires. I suspect you can do the same with the Landcruiser.

With the articulation of the rear axle, I suspect it might be hard to jack it high enough to change the rear tire if you put the bottle jack on the frame.

▲THIS▲ Using the frame you will need to take up all the shock travel before the axle begins to lift. Most floor jacks only go to 20" not enough to get a tire off the ground using the frame.

The IFS lower control arm is plenty strong enough to raise the vehicle with. The reason Toyota does not want you to us the LCA is there is no way to secure the jack with the arm angle changing as you jack it up. If one uses our Jack Adapter it makes the jack point much more secure and safe. Letting the jack head pivot your jack then adapts to the changing angle. Shown below on an 100 series front LCA.

Jack Adapters - Land Cruiser Products - LCP

img_5726-1-jpg.1487489

Last edited:
I had to use a 4x4 under my jack to get the IFS off the ground. Factory jack would not get the wheels off the ground. I’m making a platform to put under the jack just in case I need it.

You can lift the rear from the frame. Back when I had a 4Runner, I always lifted the rear by putting my floor jack under the rear diff — that way I had both rear tires in the air, which made it easier to swap on my snow tires. I suspect you can do the same with the Landcruiser.

With the articulation of the rear axle, I suspect it might be hard to jack it high enough to change the rear tire if you put the bottle jack on the frame.

Same here. Floor jack easily lifts the entire rear from the diff.

▲THIS▲ Using the frame you will need to take up all the shock travel before the axle begins to lift. Most floor jacks only go to 20" not enough to get a tire off the ground using the frame.

The IFS lower control arm is plenty strong enough to raise the vehicle with. The reason Toyota does not want you to us the LCA is there is no way to secure the jack with the arm angle changing as you jack it up. If one uses our Jack Adapter it makes the jack point much more secure and safe. Letting the jack head pivot your jack then adapts to the changing angle. Shown below on an 100 series front LCA.

Jack Adapters - Land Cruiser Products - LCP

img_5726-1-jpg.1487489

Isn't that jack on a front frame crossmember ... NOT on the LCA?

:confused:

when are you getting a 200 @LandCruiserPhil ?

They are starting to represent at CSC....

I'm assuming we should not jack via the front cross member?

Toyota indicates we should not ... so that's my recommendation.

HTH

I'm just reminiscing. Miss the old hundy. Spent quite a bit of time under her.

Since the only picture here so far is of a 100 I want to make sure this is the best place to use a Floor Jack on the front, when I got new tires last week this where they jacked it

NAna_hjUR6z8bAcsf39s1G71kPoQBw4B_Mtfn7RUcIQH2MnT6aTLUhnM-E2PCIa7jL8FocSjXLWRp_DonLnMxsDSFShiCqs4drIoUIBmORb0VFPwY6PSICOtGBQuELu5ihSdZd1W5ORZd9bsjoswCi5gk8G3SODTA4ONE-jlOfFzc8Uba9Qqx4Lwz706u-C0EuDyj2VpvzjiDYtvBEMXydwIz4Fdfc5y4VqfN9rs6H23ZVQGXv3udY5s2xIpfHrkAVX02GX5xltg9xOn23YI4kERGyOqPFErFcFHgL4jlU3aPjxy1qPqcrjLA5jtQzi7sgMOybXaVBE0P7j57y44R1R2-AfUjpheGEWss2TlgH6JR_2xVnQYZdoDtVkKuIlY0bYJXaEJ5k4rmsyS1s36VK2SYuq11Cbc5qm3rN0bTZ0W8gojRQzqRx-qkiXwPqfjV8XHsUrhRk7FFyd0uk7whX3v6YS0Y90BHAU8bwZZ_XBW3VWBH6lAE9r6O-1AFPepMgIy_rAVw8CA8Qk5cFNZ_Y2GPL6SF_zj3s5mb_uMeVUPcTI66UCgmOkgmsH_CLRZqxHRbl-fJIPWDpsOUt2Um0yIsNLmJIX-O59GX3wZfRdAu6T8Gcnk480bRIuvL6k5rEPmJSatUR3fl2HOdu0X9iqGGVkCP3ZPnw=w1026-h769-no

On the Rear is right under The Axle

VpRVjJy2h2whgeFjhaYkM787vl5suIXTwkowiHYfEMz0v8Ft3s0rWcGN-qP-j53_v80Wv0RXOFKTsU0VHClWmTF15R0ZWn1NBh8m1J5ZE0nuFB5vc59q1I8N0sJ4A8mhEi-nb9K0WMh1P264cs2VDI9TRvNOh1CsRelQ2Ly5Bdq2hlP-rmcSjAjP-9bwVniYVSL_7MiB6gNG43KaheE1QW8LfRDnf2dWuMc7zWAIjoBFsvS7Ct7uJ2W1sJUyyxT_T-tgqtFn-3ohmt839tgRRFD5M-hVZjjAQhP7iYzqBKG5T38X5J81ay18O3gSxv8tNg0_7bHvc_4YZ1vHmBh2aybXxks6JnktWwSF8_Zc58NoDvSo9DTzxDY8DrF4lH4UWQA0ogulcXgLtFM_qcjO3FQUcp8ibCSBrxF9sRba_2jVgdt-pZY_fEs3YYYc0asHG9XuPqo9eA4aAE2md17RgDvaXBM9UBVF5Yk3lhKHyEC1dqXD_lUfXyXfS-g3EErwmLQsyJM1kbOxLvksEx7JQGAs1ycKBKFLs6tChjB2YbBTPLkKLDuRuCQ_Btyi5iHn7ffXYzTvYWTu5v5jHumKnmr0hYuDz3BIQWMHZ6ouJjeshnhOfouaFd_2Y3aa_eTG2kiHMJI8e7wd5OWIMdnP6KGlzx-RI5WKNg=w1026-h769-no

Yeah. I tried this and found the articulation is too much to get the tire off the ground. I needed to move the jack to the axle as shown in the manual

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom