Factory fan clutch fluid replacement, still won't engage (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The method that I have had the best results with is: Blow on the spring with a heat gun (hair drier would probably work, but slower) until the valve is full open, turn off heat. Measure spring temp with an IR gun, watch the temp as it cools/valve closes to determine the temp at first opening.

I don't have an IR gun, so I'm wondering if the thermometer next to the spring is accurate?

I'd think that using a heat gun and slowly warming up the spring with an adjacent thermometer would be accurate. But do you know if the 120° as measured by that method would be the same as 120° measured using the water method?

Last edited:
I don't have an IR gun, so I'm wondering if the thermometer next to the spring is accurate?

I'd think that using a heat gun and slowly warming up the spring with an adjacent thermometer would be accurate. But do you know if the 120° as measured by that method would be the same as 120° measured using the water method?

Depends on the thermo being used. I tried it with a meat thermo and it wouldnt read over 90 but it was opening so I knew that was wrong. I'm going to find an IR as it is useful for many other things too.

x2 on the hair dryer, I got a heat gun from harbor frieght for ten bucks and they have several models to choose from including a digital for $30 i think. I wonder if they have an IR thermo?

So I know this is dead but does anyone have an update from 5 years ago lol:bounce2::bounce::bounce2:
There are many more modern threads than this one on this mod...

There are many more modern threads than this one on this mod...
Yea but I would like to know what they said. This one has me thinking!

Lol.
I just followed landtank's method. My kitchen thermo worked fine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom