Facing Safety Pad removal?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Perfect_Obsession, May 28, 2003.

1. Perfect_Obsession

Perfect_Obsession

Bonjour,

I have to remove wiper mechanism. I removed 5 retaining screws and 2 bolts but the safety pad still resist.

Do you have some tricks?

P.O.

P.S.: I have a 1978 Canadian FJ-40

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

There's a set of clips across the back. You have to push it in, I believe to get them to release.

3. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Bon jour, PO.

If it is like my 71, and I believe they are the same, the clips are part of a strip of metal welded onto the firewall, and the whole process inserts into a slot along the back of the pad. The clips just clamp onto a metal strip screwed into the Dashpad/safety pad. My clips were rusted quite solidly to the dashpad metal strip, which is inaccessable when clipped, and removal therefore required GREAT FORCE, if I recall correctly, in the form of a pry bar. The clips are at an angle to the firewall, facing upward and to the rear, about 60 degrees off vertical, so pry up and back.

IDave

4. Perfect_Obsession

Perfect_Obsession

Thanks everyone.

I got it. I pushed clips with screw driver and pulled up & back at the same time. Nothing rusted.

Therefore I was able to reposition wiper blades. They were pointing the sky when stopped. Now they rest at the bottom of the windshield.

Thanks again. :bow:

P.O.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.