CLOSED: Fabulous Fabrications Snorkel Group Buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just spoke to the FF crew, and have several updates:
1) approx 3 week lead time before they leave Australia
2) the issue with the lower air box is that some years have oval openings, and others are round. We might need to check on that at time of ordering. @Eric Sarjeant 's pics above look oval, which wasn't an issue for him.
3) they said there aren't many LX570 models there, but we measured out some areas and it looks like there won't be any issues.
4) they have a 5" version that they're willing to make for us. it will reduce down to 4" at the air box, but 5" all the way up. Obviously, a bigger cut in the fender, but it should satisfy all the length and restriction concerns. I'll update this post when they send me pictures.

Does anyone know if we'll be hit with any customs/sales tax when they enter the US?

So with that pipe facing the wrong way as well as its size you are creating a negative pressure cavity even further reducing inflow.

Intakes are designed front forward that despite having way shorter run distances (and much larger air volume cavity to work with) they can be further pressurized and feed at speed (where RPMs are higher) where it matters most.

If i were to get a snorkel, it wouldnt be this one.

So are we being given the option for the 4” or 5” or do we all have to agree on one? I for one would like to stick with the 4” option.

I promise im not trying to rain on anyones parade. Even if its @radman.
But this snorkel isnt a very good design.

Im just trying to point out that its not ideal, and if you do go with it, do the 5" for sure. No question about that IMO.

I myself much prefer this design:

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 8.48.55 PM.png

Its aerodynamic (less noisy too), can accommodate a pre-filter (if you're creative) and faced forward.

It has its own issues, hence why i dont have it. No rain barrier or water ingress feature that i know of (that can be modded tho), and downpipe is still too small for me to be comfortable with.

Honestly if it were me, i would have the entire side perforated with a water diversion channel going out the back.

So are we being given the option for the 4” or 5” or do we all have to agree on one? I for one would like to stick with the 4” option.
mix and match any size/color option you want.

The 4" might fit the A piller while the 5 might overhang. Go make a little mockup and see what works best.

There are several threads that debate snorkels and impacts to performance due to restricted air flow. Seems obvious to me that any snorkel is not likely to improve performance but that is not what they are for. Their purpose is to save your engine if you find yourself deeper in water than you planned and to help reduce dust intake while you cruise down dusty dirt roads (especially following behind someone). The real question is how much HP are you giving up for the protection and is it really enough to matter for the way you drive. So lets do the math. I can do some of it but not all of it. The part I can do is calculate the pressure drop for a length of pipe at a given air flow. I am guessing that max air flow for a 200 is around 500 cfm. (someone check this as I am guessing using 5000 rpm x 350 CID/3456 = ~500)

For 500 cfm of 60F air the dp for a 5' length of 4" dia pipe is 0.57 inH2O.
For 500 cfm of 60F air the dp for a 5' length of 5" dia pipe is 0.18 inH2O.

The part of the math I can't do is relate this to lost hp. Someone here has to be able to guestimate the impact to HP for the additional DP shown above. Also, I would think we are really talking about loss of HP at WOT. In my mind, this is really only relevant if you are on pavement at high speed and want to floor it to pass or you just like burning out at a stop light and like the feel of being put back in your seat. If that is your main thing, there may be better vehicle choices out there than a 200. For family station wagon / off road use I don't think WOT hp matters much. Maybe if you run mud bogs on your way to the grocery store. For me, I have never once though I don't have enough power in my 200. Some of you may have, I'm just saying I haven't.

Another way to try to answer the question on the FF snorkels impact on performance is to ask fellow mudders who have installed them if they noticed any loss in performance or even better, were anal enough to do a dyno test before and after. Paging @Eric Sarjeant again.

I'm not in the market, but I do have a question - if the 5" necks down to 4", doesn't that reduce it's performance to the same as the 4"? Not an engineer, so the answer is over my head.

I would have to see empirical proof that any snorkel 4” or more in diameter, with the intake facing forward or backward, adversely affects performance of a 5.7 petrol engine, low speed, high speed, or at idle.

First, the ram effect is negligible with the snorkel intake being so close to the body of the vehicle. There is a lot of different dynamics at play with micro pockets of low and high pressures, boundary effects, etc.

This snorkel would naturally create a low pressure pocket right behind the intake but the boundary effect created by the windshield and A pillar will negate this effect. It will essentially be an extension of the side view mirror.

An easy test to see if the effect is significant is to take a tube and breath through it while holding the open end above the mirror.

Then do the same but holding the tube directly behind the mirror. If you pass out due to oxygen deprivation then I might believe that it will affect engine performance.

Regardless, none of these things would be remotely impactful below 80 mph or possibly more.

Last edited:
I'm not in the market, but I do have a question - if the 5" necks down to 4", doesn't that reduce it's performance to the same as the 4"? Not an engineer, so the answer is over my head.
Having a 5" inlet to the air box would be better than the existing 4" for the 5" diameter tube but the 4" inlet would not make the 5" and 4" snorkels "equal" in terms of pressure drop of the flow through the tube. The 5" diameter will be "better". To understand if it makes any real differ or not we need to know the pressure drop of the inlet, airbox and rest of the system to the intake. My math above shows about a 0.4 inH2O pressure drop different for the tubes only. My hunch is that this difference is not significant but I don't know.

There are several threads that debate snorkels and impacts to performance due to restricted air flow. Seems obvious to me that any snorkel is not likely to improve performance but that is not what they are for. Their purpose is to save your engine if you find yourself deeper in water than you planned and to help reduce dust intake while you cruise down dusty dirt roads (especially following behind someone).
I am confident (unscientifically speaking) that there is zero performance increase (or decrease) by adding this snorkel. I don't have a dyno to test. I personally love my FF Snorkel, despite any (lack-of) performance enhancement. It's very high quality and to be honest, it makes the Safari snorkel seem like a Cracker Jack toy. IMO this snorkel looks great, does not reduce driver visibility, and does not add much wind noise. You get the benefit of driving in high(er)-water in the event of an emergency and cleaner air going to airbox.

This does not require an Australian air box despite a possible slight oval shape.

Down falls: if you want to undo-it, you have to get an entire new fender.

See photos below take special look at the visibility from the driver seat.

IMG_6330.jpg

IMG_6331.jpg

IMG_6332.jpg

IMG_6333.jpg

IMG_6334.jpg

IMG_6335.jpg

I am confident (unscientifically speaking) that there is zero performance increase (or decrease) by adding this snorkel. I don't have a dyno to test. I personally love my FF Snorkel, despite any (lack-of) performance enhancement. It's very high quality and to be honest, it makes the Safari snorkel seem like a Cracker Jack toy. IMO this snorkel looks great, does not reduce driver visibility, and does not add much wind noise. You get the benefit of driving in high(er)-water in the event of an emergency and cleaner air going to airbox.

This does not require an Australian air box despite a possible slight oval shape.

View attachment 2841272

View attachment 2841273

View attachment 2841274

View attachment 2841275

View attachment 2841276

View attachment 2841277
Man that looks cool. And I love that you can't see it from the drivers seat.

Ok, now I want one. lol

Not sure I have the cajones to cut up the fender though...

Just IM'ed @radman to get on the list.

View attachment 2841272

View attachment 2841273

View attachment 2841274

View attachment 2841275

View attachment 2841276

View attachment 2841277
Very nice but, but what about the induction noise, my concern is that because the snorkel is made of steel the suction, induction noise is very loud. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom