Fabircation Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
question for you all,

the 99 dollar pipe benders from harbor frieght, will the bend tubing? I know that pipe is ID and tube is OD but you you make the OD of the tube fit the proper shoe... shouldnt it work?

has anyone done this? what tips do you have, what failures ?successes?

I want to build a buggy for my son, but I dont want to outlay 600+ for a tubing bender for one or two projects.

read this.

Lowbuck Tubing Bender Fact (FAQ) Page

Try to find a manual Hossfeld, or the like on craigslist or ebay. I have seen some pretty cheap. I agree with the concern of cost vs projects, but keep in mind the cost of trial and error.

Good Luck!
J

thanks, it just sucks that everone wants 5-600 for a bender with one shoe...

A pipe bender will crimp/crush the tube if you want to make a some what tight bend.

watch pirate4x4.com's classified section for a good deal on a bender

seems like thats the order of the day... surfin craigslist and pirate :)

I saw a 4wd and sport utility samurai buildup where they used a harbor frieght and it didnt crush it, I read that they used wet sand packed into the tube...

has anyone done this?

For shallow bends you can get away with sand. But you still are going to deform the tube more than if you had just used a real bender.

You are building a buggy, nothing is gonna be cheap in that.

Think of how much time you would spend packing the tube with sand, capping it off, bending the section, draining all of the sand out (letting it dry), then tacking to see that the piece you made is not quite right...

grr youre right, why wont you guys tell me what I want to hear?! instead of what I need to hear...

on a side note, have you all checked wheels and tires section of pirate?! amazing!! if you want a set (5) 38" tires with rims? 700 bucks!!! WOW! that is cheap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom