Fabbing Sliders for 72' FJ40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Scottsdale, AZ Republic of Texas by Birth
Website
www.pinnaclehomeimprovement.net
Bought the steel today: 2x6x3/16 step/slider, 2x2x3/16 legs x 3 to frame welded with gussets on top. Not planning on using scab plates. Any input? Pics will follow starting tomorrow.

I'm thinking that with 3 legs and 3/16" tubing I will have plenty weld area 24 linear inches which should be stout.

I'm thinking that with 3 legs and 3/16" tubing I will have plenty weld area 24 linear inches which should be stout.

Its more the strength of the frame that I would worry about, not to mention the risk of distorting it or plain tearing it.

I would use scab plates

Its more the strength of the frame that I would worry about, not to mention the risk of distorting it or plain tearing it.

I would use scab plates

X2.......spread out the stress, unless its a Mall Cruiser;)

Well, me, my 4 1/2" dewalt and my Ready Welder are not into over kill. What about using 2 legs with 3x3 scabs? These will be used on a 5 waterfall at Payette Draw so gotta get it right the first time.

:beer: for another Readywelder user. Good to see I'm not the only one melting metal with a couple of batteries! If you want to get it right the first time, just scab the frame and be done with it, possibly do some type of gussett for the outriggers to the sliders. Check out Boots's Family Haulin thread over in Hardcore. He recently built some sliders for his 60 and did a nice job (Also uses a readywelder). Oh, and post up some pics of the finished product!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom