Fabbing a front bumper - does this look right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First item of business - front bumper. Check out the pic and tell me if I'm in for a hassle.

PO mounted the PS box forward of the frame. Can I just weld together some 3/16 steel brackets to extend the frame (top and bottom) and then add bumper? Any other recommendations on extending the frame, or connecting the bumper? I also have a Warn 8274 to mount up. I really don't want to affect the approach angle in a negative manner, and if doing it right means getting out a grinder and moving things further back, that's what I'll do (make a strong argument though - I want to drive this thing soon!).

I know, I need a bezel - working on it.
bumper.JPG
bumper2.JPG

You approach angle is already affected by the "rockfinder" SR. I have it, too. But you have an excuse, the PO did it. I did my own. But mine is a DD mostly.

I think you can extend the bumper to clear the PS box W/O worsening anything.

You can always change it ya know.

Git to drivin' it.

Ed

actually it looks like he chopped a few inches off the frame. extending it, would return it to "factory specs".

PS, i can't stand that term "fabbing something....". it sounds SOOO 80's, with all the fab.

i don't fabricate......i pull stuff out of my ass....

Last edited:
Just lay some plates on the sides of the frame to mount your new bumper in the stock mounting hole location. I personally wouldn't bother with moving the box back. Wadaya realy going to gain, 1-1 1/2" at the most? Approach angle? Like previously said your rockfinder SR has already FRUBAR'd that. I don't think from the pics that someone actually shortened the frame horns but it is hard to tell from the pic. Compair it to another 40 you know hasn't been cut. Looks normal to me.

frame looks normal length, just that the outer bumper brackets are gone. I would either build a frame extension or make different mounts. Too much work to move the steering box.

I don't think the frame was chopped, I think you are missing the OEM bumper brackets.
Dscn1456.jpg

The CCOT HFS bumper worked great with the 8274 after I got the brackets. You may need to oblong a few bolt holes because the shackel reversal moves the bracket holes out 1/8" or so on each side.

d4b15e9d.jpg

Hi All:

Stock front bumpers use triangular top plates that attach the bumper to the frame rail extensions. You need a pair of these triangular paltes, or to fab-up a set.

These triangular plates offer a "crush zone" of a sort for the frontend.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
Hi All:

Stock front bumpers use triangular top plates that attach the bumper to the frame rail extensions. You need a pair of these triangular paltes, or to fab-up a set.

These triangular plates offer a "crush zone" of a sort for the frontend.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle
The problem I had with the triangular plates was the PS box required cutting away a lot of the DS plate for clerance. I really didn't see it having much strength as a truss with half of it missing.

Excellent posts - and thanks for the pictures - that clarifies a lot. I actually think I have those brackets in a box that was in the truck...

Did you make, or buy that bumper? Clean, and simple. 2 things I'm looking for. Do you have any other pics, or specs??

Thanks again.

xiero said:
Excellent posts - and thanks for the pictures - that clarifies a lot. I actually think I have those brackets in a box that was in the truck...

Did you make, or buy that bumper? Clean, and simple. 2 things I'm looking for. Do you have any other pics, or specs??

Thanks again.
I bought it from Cool Cruisers Of Texas. It's the Hell For Stout bumper, 3/8 U channel all pre drilled and cut for the 8274 winch/fair lead. Don't recall the price right now but it was a whole lot less than buying the tools and materials it would require to build it.

I think that they've upgraded that bumper from 1/4" to 3/8" steel. Sometimes ya gotta' hand it to CCOT, they try hard on some of their stuff to stay ahead of the rest.

Here's the bumper with fluff and install instructions:http://store.yahoo.com/coolfj40/bumper.html

Degnol said:
You approach angle is already affected by the "rockfinder" SR. I have it, too. But you have an excuse, the PO did it. I did my own. But mine is a DD mostly.

I think you can extend the bumper to clear the PS box W/O worsening anything.

Ed

Not trying to hijack but someone explain how the MAF SR is a rock finder?

If the leaf spring sits with both eyelets level then the length of the front hanger from the frame does not effect approach angle. The eyelet its self will be the same distance from the ground with any SR as long as both eyelets are level with each other. The MAF system just provides some additional bumper height. If your bumper sticks out some maybe its actually improving your approach angle. It just looks like a rock finder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom