Ford F250/350 shopping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally got the green light from my company to go looking for a new work truck (USED ) I need to pull a 6500 pd mini-ex once in a while and plow snow...and I h8 chevy...so i had figured a superduty from 2004 + should be able to find a decent one.
Do I need diesel ?
Stick with the Trition ? or the V10?

This will be my daily driver, but i am not really worried about gas mileage or harshness of ride. I am used to my 80 series :)

there is a couple crewcab diesel 6.4's i have seen with 150k km's, i have no idea if that is acceptable for these rigs. they look clean, like they were not abused, maybe pulled a horse trailer or something.
I just need some insight!

Oh, I am trying to spend 20k (canuck bucks) on this rig, not too much more if i can help it.

we have an f-350 at work and it is in the shop half of it's life. Something about bad injectors or something. They've often broken down after picking it up at the dealer (after a repair for same issue...) I think it's a 2008.

we have an f-350 at work and it is in the shop half of it's life. Something about bad injectors or something. They've often broken down after picking it up at the dealer (after a repair for same issue...) I think it's a 2008.

hmmm I hear this too much ! I am starting to lean back towards a Nissan Titan with the "big tow" package...there is lots of guys up here with plows on them, and its a way nicer ride and Consumer Reports is starting to give them a better rating.
I just am not impressed at all with the new Tundras I have driven. They feel like a ten foot wide car.

I travel for a living and put on about 1,000 miles a week.

Most of the F350's I see broken down on the side of the road have automatic transmission problems. I only see them broke down when they are pulling heavy loads such as horse trailers, toy haulers, etc.

If you go with a Ford, I woud recomend a manual transmission.

Same with Dodge, my boss has gone through 3 auto's (luckily they were covered under warrenty).

I agree, go with a stick..

7.3 Motor or Gas, the 6.0 and 6.4 motors are a major pain in ass, we have six and cant keep them out of the shop. The 6.0 is ruining Fords truck rep one pissed customer at a time. I would recomend the Dodge 5.9 from those years though.

the 6.0 has head gasket problems the head studs stretch once fixed seem good to go...check out the dieselstop.com

Apparently I'm the only person that has had zero problems with the 6.0L...:flipoff2:

The auto transmission problems are in the AOD-E found from 1995 thru mid-2003 behind the 7.3L engines. the mid-2003 thru present automatics are as good as it gets in the truck market.

The infamous head gasket problems are directly related to people that were putting programmers on theses trucks early on before it was understood how to properly tune them, and created very high cylinder pressures. I put almost 70,000 miles on my 2003 6.0L in 3 years with zero problems. I pulled a trailer with a '70 Bronco on it at least once a month for 2 of those years, and one trip was to Moab through Colorado about a month after I bought the truck.

My 2006 6.0L has almost 70,000 miles now. I haven't towed with it as much as the '03, but I just got back from a trip where I towed my LX from Illinois to ABQ and back, averaging 12mpg at 70-75mph. Again zero problems. I have been running custom tunes in it that net 400 rwhp. The tow tune I ran last week isn't quite as aggressive, but again zero issues.

Definitely read up on the diesel sites, but also remember MUD is an anomaly in the fact that most other sites get 90% of the complainers that are probably less than 10% of the total that vehicle on the road. Ford has a database called OASIS that if you find a truck that your interested in, you can take the VIN to a dealer and get a service history check done on it. If that particular truck has had numerous injector or ECU issues, then I'd run away. If not, then you're probably good to go.

Everybody seems to like to whip on Ford for whatever reason, but take a good look at the fleet vehicles out there on the road. I'll bet you count more Ford trucks than any other make, and it's not because they're the cheapest available... If they were the steaming piles that some people claim they are, they wouldn't be outselling everything else on the planet. :cheers:

Apparently I'm the only person that has had zero problems with the 6.0L...:flipoff2:

The auto transmission problems are in the AOD-E found from 1995 thru mid-2003 behind the 7.3L engines. the mid-2003 thru present automatics are as good as it gets in the truck market.

The infamous head gasket problems are directly related to people that were putting programmers on theses trucks early on before it was understood how to properly tune them, and created very high cylinder pressures. I put almost 70,000 miles on my 2003 6.0L in 3 years with zero problems. I pulled a trailer with a '70 Bronco on it at least once a month for 2 of those years, and one trip was to Moab through Colorado about a month after I bought the truck.

My 2006 6.0L has almost 70,000 miles now. I haven't towed with it as much as the '03, but I just got back from a trip where I towed my LX from Illinois to ABQ and back, averaging 12mpg at 70-75mph. Again zero problems. I have been running custom tunes in it that net 400 rwhp. The tow tune I ran last week isn't quite as aggressive, but again zero issues.

Definitely read up on the diesel sites, but also remember MUD is an anomaly in the fact that most other sites get 90% of the complainers that are probably less than 10% of the total that vehicle on the road. Ford has a database called OASIS that if you find a truck that your interested in, you can take the VIN to a dealer and get a service history check done on it. If that particular truck has had numerous injector or ECU issues, then I'd run away. If not, then you're probably good to go.

Everybody seems to like to whip on Ford for whatever reason, but take a good look at the fleet vehicles out there on the road. I'll bet you count more Ford trucks than any other make, and it's not because they're the cheapest available... If they were the steaming piles that some people claim they are, they wouldn't be outselling everything else on the planet. :cheers:

Thanks, I have found a 2006 (or 5?) manual 6.0 down in Nova Scotia with only 75k KM's on it that looks to be a good deal...and another 6.0 with 120k, It certainly is hard to find one without 100k on it already at the very least. Even though this is supposed to be a work truck, I wish that ford would put a little more effort into the back seats in the extended cab, they do not fold out of the way nearly as well as some of the competitions do, makes it hard for me to get my Great dane in the back easily. but i was thinking i might just take one of the back seats right out to solve that problem.

heres the higher mileage one
HPIM2007.jpg
HPIM2010.JPG

If you can test drive it, try checking the engine hours vs. miles. My 06 has an hour meter. To get to it you push the tripmeter reset button a couple of times. You should scroll thru a couple of options. The 08 w/ Lariat package should have a bunch of service info screens on the gauge cluster display.

should i be scared of this mileage ??? it has to be all highway...

I this the one with 75K? Really, that isn't bad at all. Plus it's a crew cab (added plus).

No this one has 180k = 111k miles !!!

Sorry, didn't catch the link..Wow, that's alot of miles for a 1yo truck. Ask to see the service records, if it's been well maintained, I wouldn't worry about it. Now only if it had a standard transmission.:hmm:;)

Sorry, didn't catch the link..Wow, that's alot of miles for a 1yo truck. Ask to see the service records, if it's been well maintained, I wouldn't worry about it. Now only if it had a standard transmission.:hmm:;)
Yup, standard tranny in a newer Superduty seems to be impossible to find.

I looked at the dealers website, the company selling this seems to specialize in high mileage, but well maintained vehicles,
I know of at least three other 2008's with similar miles ! Best my wifey and i can figure is it people working in the oilsands in Northern Alberta, then driving back here to Newfoundland a couple times...miles add up quick.
I just am unsure as to what I would need to look at right away- all bearings, ball joints etc ??? If i got something like this i would like to keep it in top shape for as long as humanly possible ( i guess thats why we are on IH8MUD eh ? )

nah, our issue is a fuel delivery problem. but----it's made it at least 3 trips to Florida in the last month with no issues (one out and back and they are there now)
I travel for a living and put on about 1,000 miles a week.

Most of the F350's I see broken down on the side of the road have automatic transmission problems. I only see them broke down when they are pulling heavy loads such as horse trailers, toy haulers, etc.

If you go with a Ford, I woud recomend a manual transmission.

Didn't they have the Flame thrower option for awhile?

haha, i forgot aout that ! that was right when they introduced the last superduty design...2004 ? or 5?
My slow moving bosses have finally secured some cash for me, so i am back to cruising the net for decent trucks- the 2 pics above are sold, along with a white CC V10 i had my eye on.
If i am not towing that much, what is the best option for fuel economy ? I am guessing the list goes : 1 V8 2 diesel 3 V10 ??? or is the diesel still the most costly due to the price per liter (gallon)

I honestly just do not like that triton engine and am trying to justify one of the others to myself....we have a 2000 f250 (2wd) at work right now and that engine is a DOG. it feels like i am dragging a safe behind the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom