F2 motors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are all F2 motors interchangeable? I have a 1978 FJ40 that needs a motor to mount onto the 4 speed Tranny. What years will work? Can I use an FJ60 2F?
Thank you.

Are all F2 motors interchangeable? I have a 1978 FJ40 that needs a motor to mount onto the 4 speed Tranny. What years will work? Can I use an FJ60 2F?
Thank you.

I have an ‘85 60 2F mated to a mid-late 70s 4 speed in our build. Bonus is that you can use better ignition and block is tapped for power steering and an AC.

A) It’s a 2f...not a f2.
B) 40 motor mounts are different than a 60 motor mount.

Contact @cruiseroutfit for your needs. They will have the correct part that you need.

@John McVicker I think he worded it poorly. He needs to "mount it" to the 4 speed tranny. Not the motor mount. I was confused too.

To answer the question, any 2F will work, and the ones out of an FJ60 are marginally superior to the 78 you have. What is not interchangeable is the heads. 75-78 and 79-87 are different enough that they can't be swapped unless you also swap pistons.

Just for reference, My FJ40 has a 2F out of an 85 FJ60. It had a 76 2F before that that decided it was done.

^^^
Gotcha👍

A) It’s a 2f...not a f2.
B) 40 motor mounts are different than a 60 motor mount.

Contact @cruiseroutfit for your needs. They will have the correct part that you need.

Thought where the motor mounts bolted to the engine block were the same on the front of all F engines. Rear motor mounts was on the bellhousing until 8/80 when it was a separate crossmember with a isolator under the transmission. Neither of the back style motor mounts are engine block related.

@John McVicker I think he worded it poorly. He needs to "mount it" to the 4 speed tranny. Not the motor mount. I was confused too.

To answer the question, any 2F will work, and the ones out of an FJ60 are marginally superior to the 78 you have. What is not interchangeable is the heads. 75-78 and 79-87 are different enough that they can't be swapped unless you also swap pistons.

Just for reference, My FJ40 has a 2F out of an 85 FJ60. It had a 76 2F before that that decided it was done.
Ok, so I can use a newer 2F without any modifications?

Yes, but there are a few things I'd do.

You'll need to decide what intake/exhaust manifold to run. 78 will hook up to your existing exhaust. FJ60 is a much better set up, but you'll have to mod your exhaust a little bit.

You'll probably remove the power steering pump and smog pump. This means rethinking the belts and how they run. And block off the EGR if you don't need smog compliance.

The alternator plug is different. The plug is available or you can make an adapter. Just remember the 78 uses an externally regulated alternator and the FJ60 uses an internally regulated alternator. I adapted for a couple of years and then finally just re-wired the whole truck, which was very satisfying and got rid of the old and crappy wiring harness and glass fuses. You can run the output of the FJ60 through the ammeter on the dash just like stock, even though it makes 20 more amps. I don't remember when Toyota changed the ammeter to an external shunt, so be careful as you go through this. Just remember the FJ60 alternator makes 20 more amps, and the internal regulation is desirable, so I'd run the FJ60 alternator. If you're pushed for time, you could run the FJ40 alternator.

I'd use the cast steel feet that ride on the front motor mount from the 78. It's a direct fit. The FJ60 foot does not have the relief in the bottom of the foot that the FJ40 foot does. It's a minor difference but the FJ40 foot will fit better on your existing motor mount.

I'd probably run the carb from the 78. I'm not 100% certain the linkage to the pedal is a direct fit to the FJ60 carb, though it may be and you could test it. That means you'll need to devise a plug for the fuel return from the carb, as the FJ60 fuel pump recirculates from the fuel pump, not the carb. Easy to weld up a plug though which is what I did since I put the 76 carb on the 85 motor. It had a fresh performance rebuild and so it was an easy decision.

Be aware the deck height is just slightly different. This affects how the aircleaner fits. again, a minor fitment issue. I think it works best to use the FJ60 air cleaner housing. THe FJ40 housing can work though. You'll just need to devise how to hold the passenger side of the air cleaner housing securely.

That's what I remember off the top of my head. Good luck.

Do you have to keep the smog gear? If so, you'll need to be creative. As in you may need to use the 78 thermostat housing. Definitely run the FJ60 distributor which is miles better than the 78.

Good luck. It isn't a difficult swap. With help, I did mine in 1 weekend, and that included the carb swap, thermo housing swap, and a few other tweaks. It's run like a champ ever since. It's a relative thing but the Later motors are smoother. Not sure why, but you definitely lose some of the vibration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom