F2 emissions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2F emissions

This has probably been asked before, sorry if it has, but I could't find the answer anywhere. When removing the emissions equipment on the 2F what does one do with the air pump? The belt for the air pump also turns the fan. Is it easy and recommended to remove the internals, if so how, or is there some kind of idler pully set up that is preferred? Any and all help is appreciated.

Last edited:
:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: It's a 2F! :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

I thought there were two belts? :confused:

Edit: Don't remove your emissions, it's a waste of time.

Sorry, i'm dislexic, no need to be a jerk though. 2F, 2F, 2F, happy now?

There are two belts, but my concern is the one that goes around the crank, the fan pulley, and the air pump.

My emissions are already removed to accomodate a weber carb upgrade and headers. The only part left is the air pump and right now it is just there making noise pumping air for no reason, please advise.

You can do this..... with this...

048-01G-IDLER_i2-big.jpg

search SOR.com for smog pump eliminator kit... works well.

Or you can take the previous advice and keep it smog legal, you may find yourself "resmogging" as others have painfully done....

and no one is being a jerk mr. sensitive, :flipoff2: is really a welcome on this board! :flipoff2: welcome :flipoff2:

you can also pull the pump and strip it of its innards, and reinstall.

If the bearings are still good it will last for awhile like this.

Attached is a photo (I hope) of a 2F idler pulley to replace the air pump on 81-87 2F engines. Uses the the stock mounting and adjuster brackets, even the stock belt.

<propaganda> It can be purchased from TLC Performance for a very reasonable price. Send me a p-mail if interested and I can hook you up. </propaganda>

Last edited:
[more propoganda] I just acquired one of said pulleys from TLC Performance and it fit PERFECTLY! :bounce: [/propoganda]

Or you can mount a power steering pump there.............IF you can get a bracket.

CruisinGA said:
you can also pull the pump and strip it of its innards, and reinstall.

If the bearings are still good it will last for awhile like this.

Isn't this only an issue on rigs with factory power steering? Doesn't the smog pump tension the p/s belt? My 79 is desmogged, but didn't have p/s and the pump was just gone.

ken_79-fj40 said:
Isn't this only an issue on rigs with factory power steering? Doesn't the smog pump tension the p/s belt? My 79 is desmogged, but didn't have p/s and the pump was just gone.

Kinda', but no. The '77 at least has two belts that together almost surround the waterpump pulley. Taking out the smog pump and belt leaves only the one (alternator) and it doesn't give a more than about a 15 degree contact to the water pump pulley. Since the W/P is also the fan there's the feeling that the one belt would be likely to slip.

honk said:
Kinda', but no. The '77 at least has two belts that together almost surround the waterpump pulley. Taking out the smog pump and belt leaves only the one (alternator) and it doesn't give a more than about a 15 degree contact to the water pump pulley. Since the W/P is also the fan there's the feeling that the one belt would be likely to slip.

Ok that makes a lot of sense. It also explains why my truck no longer creeps above halfway on the temp gauge in traffic on 90 degree days like it used to. Now that I have a second belt running my saginaw pump.

I have no problem whatsoever running just a single belt for crank/alt/waterpump. Remove your air pump and belt.

spotcruiser said:
I have no problem whatsoever running just a single belt for crank/alt/waterpump. Remove your air pump and belt.
Yeah, what he said. There are plenty (50%?) of 75-80 Cruisers running a single fan belt & no AP. :cheers:

Can't you just take all the brackets off and go to your local auto store and buy the correct sized belt?

Appreciate the info. Here is a little more background info to add to the discussion: 79 FJ40 w/ factory PS. The other belt (not in question) runs over the crank, the alternator, the water pump, and the PS (Not the fan). You cannot just remove the belt for the air pump because it turns the fan also, and if you run it just from the crank to the fan you will have not any tension adjustment, plus the problem of getting it on in the first place. Correct me if I'm wrong, this is from memory.

My bad, the belt in question runs over the water pump the air pump and the crank pulleys. The other one runs over the alt., the power steering, and teh crank pulleys.

i took everything off my 73 here in calif and used the smog pump bracket to mount a air conditioner pump to make a air compresser hook up the wiring and run a 80 psi air releif valve and u willl always have air

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom