F155 Head Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys! This is my first post however I've used this great site a lot for research. My name is Don, I worked in Vintage Air’s R&D Department while we developed the new FJ40 Surefit Kits. I was tasked with redesigning the compressor/alternator mounting bracket. Now I’m trying to research an issue we’re having with our bracket and I’m having no luck. I’m hoping one of you FJ40 guys know the answer.

So, our original research on the 68-83 US FJ40s revealed that we could mount our compressor/alternator bracket using the 3 bolt holes located on the head after removing the front engine hoist hook. We have had 2 customers with 1971 FJ40s that have contacted our Tech Support Department because one of the bolt holes is not in their head, they only have the 2 bolts that the hook is mounted to.

What I’ve found is that in ’69-70 Toyota was making a lot of changes to the FJ40. During this time 10 horse power was being added to the F145 engine to make the F155 which was released in ’71. My customer’s driver’s door plate says manufactured in Nov 1970 stamped on it. The engine bay firewall emission control plate has “Engine Displacement 236.7”, “Exhaust Emissions Control Type E.M.”, “This Vehicle Conforms to U.S. Dept of H.E.W. and California Regulations Applicable to 1971 Model Year New Motor Vehicles”.

One FJ40 guy said that these heads may not be US heads…maybe? What I’m wondering is if, during the initial release of the F155 engine, could Toyota have missed the third bolt and then added it to the head later? Any ideas guys? If this is the case, that we will see this 2 bolt configuration in ’68-83 US FJ40s, we will have to modify our new bracket to pick up a mounting point at the motor mount as we did with our old bracket. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
One photo shows a 74 with the 3 bolt holes we need to see, one shows the 2 bolt holes on my customers '71. The other photos show one of our brackets, and one with the compressor and alternator installed. Thanks!

P1122143.JPG
P1202539_new.jpg
P1202572.JPG
IMG_2874.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome!

You might add a photo of the location and holes for attention and focus. I have an 11/70 rig as well..
Thanks for the welcome! I've attached some photos. I'm interested to know what bolt configuration you have on your 11/70 rig. FYI - the bracket shown is not the final iteration of our bracket but the best R&D photo I have, long story.

This is also a late '74 Head (60052) Three Holes.

You might ask people to post the Casting # to get an idea of what heads have the 2 or 3 holes.

But I suspect the 3rd hole was added when the Alternator moved to the right side... ?

upload_2018-4-17_14-11-19.png

upload_2018-4-17_14-12-27.png

This is also a late '74 Head (60052) Three Holes.

You might ask people to post the Casting # to get an idea of what heads have the 2 or 3 holes.

But I suspect the 3rd hole was added when the Alternator moved to the right side... ?

View attachment 1679763

View attachment 1679766
Thanks for the suggestion Spike Strip! I've emailed my customer to see if I can get the 2 bolt casting number. I'm kind of new to posting on forums so let me know if this works:

Hey, if y'all can post your casting numbers I'll keep a running list and post it after a while. Thanks!

Had an engine given to me a few years ago I think it was out of a 1970. No idea if it was the original engine or head.

20180417_170708.jpg

20180417_171348.jpg

Might want to re-title your thread. The two-hole cylinder head was on the F145 engine, not the F155.

Last edited:
the archive has joined the discussion...

I just want to say that I am really thankful for your time and knowledge! My customer says he has an F155 (may be a rabbit hole), attached are photos he's sent me. 2 questions: Is the 236.7 cu.in a F145 or F155? I have done some photo research and have seen the 2 bolt configuration on other F145s, is this typical? My customer will be sending more engine photos this weekend (head casting numbers, oil fill tubes, etc.). Thank you all for the information!
InkedIMG_2885_LI.jpg
InkedIMG_2886_LI.jpg

You can't rely on the VIN plate and displacement doesn't really matter. The head may have been replaced in the past as they are generally interchangeable.

I have an early 1971 with the two bolt hole head. The two existing holes are in the correct/same location as the three hole head, with only the lower hole not in place. I switched the alternator from the stock USA drivers side to the USA passenger side and found that there were only two threaded holes. What I did was in the location without the threaded hole in the head I added a bolt and a nut on each side of the bracket in the "new" bracket. I then installed the bracket with the two bolts and then snugged up the third bolt against the head and tightened the nuts. Pressure from the belt will put inward pressure through that bolt, and against the head. Although the third bolt isn't tightened up into the head, it will allow pressure to be passed through that bolt and into the head.

I did this many years ago and haven't had any problems. Although, as a caveat I need to say that my Cruiser hasn't been run for the last 5 years.

Don

I have an early 1971 with the two bolt hole head. The two existing holes are in the correct/same location as the three hole head, with only the lower hole not in place. I switched the alternator from the stock USA drivers side to the USA passenger side and found that there were only two threaded holes. What I did was in the location without the threaded hole in the head I added a bolt and a nut on each side of the bracket in the "new" bracket. I then installed the bracket with the two bolts and then snugged up the third bolt against the head and tightened the nuts. Pressure from the belt will put inward pressure through that bolt, and against the head. Although the third bolt isn't tightened up into the head, it will allow pressure to be passed through that bolt and into the head.

I did this many years ago and haven't had any problems. Although, as a caveat I need to say that my Cruiser hasn't been run for the last 5 years.

Don
I like it! This is a really good idea Don. Even though most of the pressure is a lateral ‘pull’ it certainly can’t hurt. I will make sure to pass it along.:clap:

Don
Hey Handcannon! Out of the box thinking...gotta love it! Our new bracket has only been out for about a year. Our previous bracket was a 4 bolt mount, 3 bolts at the head and one at the motor mount. Losing that 3rd head bolt, or working in your modification, wasn't as important on the previous bracket.

I kicked your idea around with a couple of our Engineers and there was talk of this foot potentially damaging the head. We discussed the possibility of creating an add-on bracket, for mounting our bracket when the bolt is missing. This add-on would bolt to our bracket and mount at the motor mount as our previous bracket did (see images below). This work will depend on whether or not these 2 bolt heads are stock US '68-83 FJ40 heads.
Capture 01.PNG
Capture 02.PNG

I like it! This is a really good idea Don. Even though most of the pressure is a lateral ‘pull’ it certainly can’t hurt. I will make sure to pass it along.:clap:
Hey 65swb45! Please see my reply to Handcannon. It's a great idea, but it's not something that we feel we can recommend. Thanks!

Hey 65swb45! Please see my reply to Handcannon. It's a great idea, but it's not something that we feel we can recommend. Thanks!

Based on YOUR intended use, adding the weight and torque of both an AC compressor and an alternator, I agree. But for the rest of us just moving an alternator, my opinion stands.

I would have to agree with both of you. In a situation where only the alternator is being moved I feel, like 65swb45, that the two bolts into the head, and the one in the bracket, is adequate. But, in the case of an alternator and AC pump together the addition of your bolt will be needed.

Don

Here are more photos of my customers rig. Can we tell from these if this is a F145 or F155? Can we tell if this is a US head found on a 1968-83 FJ40? Also, not sure that this is a casting number. Thanks Guys!!!
IMG_2934.JPG
IMG_2938.JPG
IMG_2939.JPG
IMG_2942.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom