F150 spring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm trying to decide what to do to my 84....can't be much help to you but I can ask....did you put f150 springs in the back of your yota? How much fab work was there? Did you move your axle back too? How is the articulation compared to before?

Really trying to decide if I should go Chevy (got a bobbed frame with custom flat bed....rear shackles are already close to the back end, so I'm not sure I really want them out further....only thing there might be to run shackles like one guy (two actually) in a buggy sort of rig....the shackles were big c shaped things that came up and around above the deck height....don't really understand the advantage other than maybe lots of room for the spring to move without hanging way down?

Another option is the f150 springs....sounds interesting but I don't know enough about them yet and not many guys seem to do them....

Or finally just order in done trail gear leafs....problem I have with this is that I'm gonna need to do fab work to fit these so at that point....why not do something cheaper?

I'm running the 63' with a new hanger in the front with double shackles in the rear. I love the ride and the flex. I just got 37's and I'm hoping the extra weight will allow more flex.

Hi wondering what springs you run in your pack im running 5 pack rides really still what do you all suggest to pull. in my 82 first gen
http://s911.photobucket.com/user/lanelikastreet/media/20131228_164512_zps0336d2d3.jpg.html

Start with the bottom and work up from there. The overload I would keep as it helps prevent axle wrap. I have the same leaf pack in my taco, love them.

I'm trying to decide what to do to my 84....can't be much help to you but I can ask....did you put f150 springs in the back of your yota? How much fab work was there? Did you move your axle back too? How is the articulation compared to before?

Really trying to decide if I should go Chevy (got a bobbed frame with custom flat bed....rear shackles are already close to the back end, so I'm not sure I really want them out further....only thing there might be to run shackles like one guy (two actually) in a buggy sort of rig....the shackles were big c shaped things that came up and around above the deck height....don't really understand the advantage other than maybe lots of room for the spring to move without hanging way down?

Another option is the f150 springs....sounds interesting but I don't know enough about them yet and not many guys seem to do them....

Or finally just order in done trail gear leafs....problem I have with this is that I'm gonna need to do fab work to fit these so at that point....why not do something cheaper?

The f150 springs aren't as long as the chevies. With your back half being bobed, I'd go with the f150s.

So do you need to change out the rear axle housing to do more flexible springs? My tires already look close to the frame with 35's and I'm wondering if they will rub it if I'm flexed out? Also if I need to change it, can I just swap in a housing from an ifs 4 cylinder truck? I've got a 1990 4 banger that I'm gonna use for parts and I'm hoping I can just leave the third member from my truck in and swap housings. Yes or no? Thanks!

I only get rub at extreme angles and just barely. I run 1.25" spacers all around with 4" backspacking and 35x12.50's.

If you have access to IFS parts, I would put your 3rd in the IFS housing and run that. I would also use the IFS hubs on the front axle. I haven't done these yet, but if I ever get an IFS parts truck, it will definitely be on my list!

I always thought changing the front hubs to ifs hubs was a lot of work, no? If it isn't bad I'll be doing that to.

Right now I'm trying to find out if I can simply swap my third over to the ifs housing? And will the ifs hubs go right on to the solid front axle? Time to do some reading!

You shouldn't have an issue swapping the 3rd on the rear axle.

I'm not sure on the hubs, but if you've ever rebuilt knuckles before, it probably isn't that hard to figure out.

Haha never rebuilt knuckles but I'm looking around it appears it can be done with not too much effort so well see

Now to find out if I can run locking hubs on the back...would mean I can tow it with a draw bar instead of buying a trailer! Well see there too...means more tire wear but for now it might work

Definitely beyond my current capabilities. Interesting to say the least, but I've got no facility for machining or perfectly cutting down the axle tube. Not sure if it is easier than I'm thinking it is but it doesn't look like it to me.....

If you had the money, you could always take the housing to a machine shop and let them know what you need.

If you had the money, you could always take the housing to a machine shop and let them know what you definitely do not have the money

Anyone else got any ideas how hard swapping ifs hubs over to a solid axle is? If I ask this on the Arrrgh site I'm sure to get shat on....

Also can I take hubs from A 92 4 runner with auto locking hubs? Will it work to just swap over the solid axle locking section?

Do u have manual locking hubs at the moment?
I don't think it will be hard to swap over hubs!

Also I have Chevy 63" springs on my taco and I love mine. They flex very well. I will say they are soft and sag with a load of fire wood in the bed( I did take out the overload spring) for better articulation. If u leave in the O.L. Spring it will haul alot more.
A guy in our club has the f150 springs on his 89 or 90 toy truck. He has only said good things.. He likes that they are shorter and still allow good flexing. Idk about the f150 springs but the 63" u can run double shackle set up and keep ur back spring hanger in the stock location...

And the 3rd should go right in the ifs housing and with that and the ifs hubs it will give u a 3" width gain.

Sent from my iPhone on the road.

If you had the money, you could always take the housing to a machine shop and let them know what you definitely do not have the money

Anyone else got any ideas how hard swapping ifs hubs over to a solid axle is? If I ask this on the Arrrgh site I'm sure to get shat on....

Also can I take hubs from A 92 4 runner with auto locking hubs? Will it work to just swap over the solid axle locking section?

If you rebuild the front axle, the ifs swap isn't bad.

No, I don't think you can swap over the solid lock section to the ifs hub. I think the hubs are different heights. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom