F135 Valve seals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, does anyone have pictures of their o-ring style valve seals installed? Ive been able to find a lot of information on umbrella, and positive seals, but not much on the older o-ring type valve seal.

My 1966 40 smokes like my 1985 two stroke Evinrude on a cold morning. Compression is good on all cylinders, so I'm ruling out rings, more because I don't want to think about needing to change them than any sound science. I pulled one of the O-rings off and took it to my local parts store. We were able to match it to a set of o-rings from a 1966 SBC. I installed the new O-rings and sure enough she still smokes. Looking at my O-rings and comparing them to the drawings in my FSM, Im wondering if at some point the previous owner replaced them with the same SBC seals.

Heres a picture of my valves with the SBC seals installed, note the gap that could allow oil onto the valve. These are exactly the same as the o-rings I found on the engine. I know the valves need some oil but this seems excessive.
IMG_0344.jpeg

Heres a screenshot of the FSM, Notice the o-ring appears to completely close the Gap.
Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 08.21.49 AM.jpg

Thanks

Maybe these will help...

Alternative option

Item #5 on this page...
Placement looks different than yours also.

I saw that thread, also the SOR website, It's just adding to my confusion.The pictures from @middlecalf have the shields like mine, but no o-rings. I know I should just order the o-rings from SOR, but was hoping to find an alternate source such as McMaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom