F to F2 Engine Swap Info Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have thrown a rod in my old F engine. If I go to an F2, will I be able to use existing attachments, such as distributor, carb, exhaust manifold, fuel pump, etc? Any pitfalls? As long as I am jumping should I consider a newer Toyota engine such as an F3 and will it fit? I have a 3 a speed. Not really interested in a V8 unless there is a really compelling reason.
thanks.

Yes. Most of your F engine stuff will swap easily to a 2F. But, front motor mounts use a bigger bolt on the 2F, and manifold studs are larger on the 2F. May require some clearancing...

Yes. Most of your F engine stuff will swap easily to a 2F. But, front motor mounts use a bigger bolt on the 2F, and manifold studs are larger on the 2F. May require some clearancing...
Great info. Much appreciated. anything you know of that will not transfer?

A later 2F carb will not want to fit on an earlier F intake manifold due to the heat shield.
Oil pressure sender is the other side of the block.
That's all I can think of right now.

I did this.
Years ago on a college budget. I put together a 76 2f and dropped in my 9/71. I had a webber carb with an after market throttle cable on the F intake and headers and kept both manifolds, I had a pertronix ignition and so I kept all the ignition components including the dizzy. The carb took significant messing with to get the jets right and make it run happy. I ran the F alternator on the F bracket and location until I was ready to go to power steering then I switched it to the other side on the 2F bracket. Don't run the donor 50 amp alternator from a later truck if your 30 amp ammeter is still hooked up until after you do your homework and make a conscientious decision to do so. The sending units for temp and oil may be calibrated different, but I think they are threaded the same so hold on to them. As I recall I did have to get resourceful with the heater lines, I think there was a port on the water pump I had to use, and a T on a radiator hose I needed to abandon, I found a straight nipple at the auto parts store I think. Its been long enough that I can't remember for sure now, I don't think I did anything with the mounts, but if they didn't work out and the donor came with some I would have reused them with out thinking. 2F flywheel and pressure plate, all other components were F. I think I kept the donor fuel pump, but I'm pretty sure they are the same.

I borrowed a chain fall and picked that heavy beast out of the back of my 4runner (top off of course) on the rafters of a rented house, and a buddy of mine called in a bunch of favors from machinist he'd worked for and we got it done over a winter break. I broke down during finals and was running in January. It wasn't a perfect job, but 15 years later it's still running and I only laid out about $700 all in.

Under the circumstances, I'd do it again. If I'd have had more time and money I'd have explored a 3FE. Right now I am putting a TBI on it (glad I kept the 2F intake around) anyway because I am tired of messing with that webber, and that pertronix is getting tired. I also am not interested in a V8. Turbo maybe, but not a V8.

I regret not doing the valve stem seals when the engine was out - with, the head remaining on. Super easy on the 'bench,' not so much by the firewall, brake booster.

I just did this in my 61, which had a 72 F that blew the head gasket and had a cracked head. I used a 2F from an 85 FJ60. I moved over the F intake and exhaust manifold and am running the F carb. F fuel pump. I kept the 2F distributor, coil and ignitor as that's a major upgrade from the points and vacuum retard original. Retained the F alternator and mount/bracket. As mentioned above, I kept the temp sensor and now the gauge works, but reads low and has a smaller range.

I bought a new water pump, F motor style. Running a direct drive fan set up, upgraded to a later plastic fan with a MarkA spacer. I don't think the clutch will work with the F motor shroud. This water pump eliminated the oil cooler on the 2F. I sold that off and bought an earlier oil filter mount with the oil sender on it. Passenger side mount. The earlier driver side filter and sender won't work with the 2F. Filter might, but no location in the block for the sender. Oil pressure gauge reads as normal. I think the sender is the same, just location that's different.

You will need to drill out the motor mounts for bigger 2F bolts. Same with the intake/exhaust.

I used my 3 speed flywheel and complete clutch set-up.

Very happy with the end result. Not a lot of re-engineering involved.

Thanks for all the info. To clarify based on the info you folks have provided, I am looking at putting an early 2F in to replace the original F. Before throwing a rod on F engine, I installed power steering a few years ago. I also installed an electronic ignition distributor in the old F engine several years ago. I also installed a header on the old F engine. I currently run a webber carb. I also installed an electric fan on a new aluminum radiator. I also added front/rear disk brakes and the accompanying master cylinder two years ago.

How much of that do you think can be reused? Any issues base on what I have provided in my update? Not opposed to going with other bolt-ons, just trying to keep the cost reasonable. So far I have been able to locate a newly rebuilt (complete rebuild, oil pan to valve cover and everything in between) early 2F for around $3,500. I will have someone install it for me and so everything provided I will share with the tech, who has worked on my vehicle for over 20 years.

Finally would I be better off locating an F engine?

thanks
Stan

[QUOTE="6T9cruzr, post: 13216792, member:

Finally would I be better off locating an F engine?

[/QUOTE]
Nope. A 2F is a better engine. All your F engine stuff will swap over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom