F to Diesel direct swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
My 70 FJ40 (9/69) with F, 3 on the tree, and PTO winch are on their way to the shop for a body restoration. A local shop quoted me 4K on an engine rebuild, so I started to think alternatives. Much of the morning was spent browsing thru the tech threads, but I have not been able to find a thread a list of direct engine swaps. There is a listing on a B engine available, does anyone know if this is a direct swap for my stock setup?

No. The bellhousing is completely different and the B engine would likely destroy the little 3 speed transmission over time even if you could get it mated up somehow. You could ditch your entire FJ40 gasoline drivetrain and swap a diesel on in instead but it certainly won't just "bolt up". The engine mounts are different, transmission mount, etc.

How difficult depends on which engine, as Remy mentioned the 2h would be the easiest , but none of them are all that hard if you use parts off a Toyota diesel landcruiser. Most of it bolts up except for the engine mount brackets.

If you think the cost to rebuild an F engine is high, check out the cost to rebuild the B or H engines.

If you think the cost to rebuild an F engine is high, check out the cost to rebuild the B or H engines.

Fuel pump and injectors aside, I cant see why they would be. A rebuild kit for diesel is not much more, and machining and assembly much the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom